• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gold standard in graphics?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Culbrelai

What game these days has the best graphics? Crysis 3 (2013) used to be the gold standard long ago, (to my eye anyway) but I know that must no longer be true. Yeah yada yada plot matters more I agree, I just like to test my system once and a while with real world applications.

So, what's the best now? Fallout? Battlefield?

This is what was used on the last Video Card Review done by OCF.
I'd wager these are going to be your go-to tests:

3DMark Fire Strike – Extreme, default setting.
3DMark Time Spy – Default
Unigine Valley Benchmark v1.0 – 1080p, DX11, Ultra Quality, 8x AA, Full Screen
Unigine Heaven (HWbot) – Extreme setting
Crysis 3 – Very High settings with 8xMSAA/16xAF (2nd level when you procure and use the Crossbow to get across the level and kill the Helicopter)
Metro:LL – DX11, Very High, 16xAF, Motion Blur – Normal, SSAA Enabled, DX11 Tessellation – Very High, Advanced PhysX – Disabled, Scene D6
Dirt: Rally – 1080p, 8x MSAA, everything on Ultra that can be, enable Advanced Blending
Grand Theft Auto V – 1080p, high settings (see article below for details).
Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor – 1080p, everything Ultra that can be (Lighting quality High), FXAA and Camera + Object Blur, DOF/OIT/Tessellation enabled.
Rise of the Tomb Raider – 1080p, SSAA 4X, VSync Off, DirectX 12 On, Very High Preset
The Division – 1080p, Ultra Preset, VSync Off
Far Cry: Primal – 1080p, Ultra Preset, VSync Off
Ashes of the Singularity – 1080p, DX12, Crazy Preset

Are you just talking looks of the game or hard on a GPU?

ROTR and Crysis are hard on a GPU... both really good looking.

I don't think Culbrelai is asking about how taxing is the game, but how it looks...

IMO, Dragon Age Inquisition is beautiful.

So is Doom 4.

BF1... I don't like the graphics.

For Flight Simulators, the 6 years old Wings Of Prey still looks awesome.

Well, Crysis 3 is still top notch!

Personally I consider Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (the one with Kevin Spacey) the one with the best graphics and eye candy so far, but it isn't really CPU/GPU demanding, my Strix breezed through it. Doom... not detailed enough. Maybe Black Ops III or BF1. Haven't tried Watch Dogs 2 but also not keen on it considering the bugs on the 1st one. Kholat (to me) looks and feels better then Far Cry Primal or ROTR and is as demanding which is impressive for an Indie title run on Unreal4 engine.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided needs a GTX 1080 for 60fps 1080p max settings (which would likely put him as the most demanding title in the market ATM) and Crysis 3 still gives a 1070/980ti a workout even at 1080p ;)

Looking forward for Mechwarrior 5 and Mass Effect Andromeda, both look absolutely amazing on the alpha/beta videos :)

Are you just talking looks of the game or hard on a GPU?

ROTR and Crysis are hard on a GPU... both really good looking.

Really both.

and Crysis is still top teir huh? Impressive for a game that's 4 years old. Although I suppose it was quite high budget. I recently bought Aliens: Colonial Marines (also 2013, like Crysis 3) on steam sale and the graphics are pretty sub-par. You know, I actually get better FPS in Crysis 3 than Anno 2070, which is kind of funny. Crysis 3 (indeed most FPS games) has/have explosions, fast fight scenes, meanwhile Anno 2070 strains my GPUs just rendering thousands of trees.

Despite the bad critics, I still love Crysis 3...

Love COD serie campaigns as well (multi is filled with brain washed teens, so don't play it...).

Love Doom 4 too. Nervous, swift! Brings back souvenirs of the PS1 version that I tortured what, 20 years ago?!?

People use Battlefield 1 to test graphics in reviews. That's what I would use (doesn't really matter if you LIKE how it looks or not... it's a newer game that uses lots of physics and all the latest DirectX technology.)

Sure Crysis 3 looks great... but it's a 4 year old game and it can't possibly use technology that didn't exist when it was created.

Last edited:
^What Kenrou says.

I would add that BF1 is extremely well optimized, and even a 7970 OC'ed runs it @60fps maxed out@1080p (DX11 and DX12).

I haven't run BF1 since the beta but it ran like total **** on my system @ 4k on that sandstorm looking map.

Is it really that demanding?

Back