• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Low low points with 980Ti's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

don256us

Uber Folding Senior
My main rig.
Windows 10 64 bit.
Core i7 3960X Hexa core.
16 GB RAM.
SSD

2x 980Ti
Nvidia drivers 373.06.

FAH 7.4.4
client-type = advanced
max-packet-size = big

ppd with 2 x 980Ti and 10 core cpu = ~315k This seems low. Less than half... low.

I did have client-type = beta and was at ~ 450k so I will probably switch that back. I was also using driver 378.x so maybe that's what I need to switch back to. I used DDU to clean drivers before downgrading.

I was getting ~ 700-750k when I first got them.

I have two more 980Ti's to hook up in another machine and I would like to pretend to know what I'm doing.

Just a thought here (because I was caught by this myself for a few hours). Check to see if under Configuration > Slot that both opencl-index are both set to -1. I added a new card this weekend, and for some reason, when adding the slot, it defaulted the opencl-slot to a different value and both slots were working on one card. Another way to check this is to see if one of your cards is running very cold (like under 40°C cold).

Thanks. Here's another wrinkle. I have the day off and I was doing a project with my angle grinder (more on that later). When I came back into my home office my computer was off. Like would not turn back on off. I did some quick troubleshooting and found that one or both of my MSI 980Tis are dead. I don't know which one. Since I had two EVGA 980Ti's waiting for a home (Something that I was going to do today, I put them into my main rig and all is well. My PPD is alreay going way up.

In troubleshooting, I was trying to smell for the magic smoke but... because I had been cutting with my angle grinder, everything smells like magic smoke, including my tasty leftover pizza lunch. I'll have to troubleshoot the two cards later as I have a list of things to do and this was not one of them.

you need to do the one card at a time in each slot to find out if it's a motherboard or gpu issue.

Also don - you seem to have bad luck with hardware going bad. Do you know if you have issues with static electricity? Do you have a wrist strap that you use?

I know that it's not the MB as I have two more GPU's up and running. I do not use wrist straps but then again, I was not working on the hardware. The case has been buttoned up for more than a month before this happened. In retrospect, my ppd on this machine had been dropping over time but I've not really noticed until recently. I was only working on software changes to resolve the issue then... poof.

Back