• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1080p 60hz Ultra settings. Best bang-for-buck card?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jeff G

Looking to put together a 1080p gaming build.
I'm not too up-to-date on what's hot right now.
Is the RX 480 the best bet for $200? Or is the GTX 1060 that much better at $250?
With the new cards launching soon, would it be best to wait? Or will there not be much in the sub-$250 range?
Or with all the new cards in the last year, combined with new releases around the corner, is there a last gen card that I should look for used that's going to be a great deal?

Or...Am I asking too much out of sub-$250 budget for 1080p Ultra settings on current games?

The card Johan linked will run games at 1080 with no issue. That's a really good price. Only reason I'd step down to a 480 is if you were looking to save money and grab one that is sub $200. Otherwise get da fury. 4gb is plenty for 1080.

The next refresh of Graphics cards in your price range will probably be around July-Oct. I would purchase a GTX 1060 or RX 480 the both so close pick a brand or price you like.

RX 480/GTX 1060 for 1080p, BUT some games will still not run Ultra at 60fps constant without dips. If you turn down AA from say 8x to 2/4x on most games and maybe shadows down one notch, this will likely keep you above 60fps in 90% of games.

RX 480 4GB would be minimum, but if you can find a great deal on an 8GB model, I'd consider that. As EarthDog mentioned, you really need higher to always max out at 60+ without any setting alterations.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...275&cm_re=rx_480_nitro-_-14-202-275-_-Product would be the RX 480 I'd consider for ~200 flat.

Agreed, really depends on how graphics intensive the game is, so a 1070 should be considered minimum nowadays for 1080p max settings.

I'm hoping with the new cards launching soon, I might find a deal on a last-gen card like the Fury X (currently around $275 local CL) or even something like a 980ti (currently around $300 local CL). If either of those drop to sub-$250 I might grab one.
I've seen a couple sub-$200 6gb GTX 1060 on the CL, but if the other options are going to be a bit better I may just hold off. I'm in no rush, and the main purpose of this build will be gaming on a budget. I don't see the GTX 1070 dropping any time soon, so those are my hope if the RX 480 and GTX 1060 won't cut it every time.

Can't go wrong with a 980Ti for $300. It's a great card

The 980ti should still be at same price as the 1070 since they're roughly the same performance no ?

An overclocked 1060 (or AMD correspondent) should be good enough IF you don't mind dropping settings 1-2 notches depending on the game.

Yes, there should be a lot of used 980ti/1070 in the market by now, heck I've seen a couple used 1080's on eBay for some strange reason (guessing they upgraded to a Titan). But used or new they should be roughly the same price as they have roughly the same performance was my point ?

I haven't seen any 1070 used locally yet, but the 980ti's are popping up more frequently. Ive found that the best deals are always local deals, ebay always seems a bit inflated.

Back