• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel RST is now incompatible on my Win10x64 PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Audioaficionado

Sparkomatic Moderator
Hmmm... I just noticed that my installed and previously working version of Intel RST not only was uninstalled, but all traces of it are gone. So I downloaded the latest winten supported version and after the installation, rebooted. Now it's in automatic repair mode for over 2 hours. SSD is active according to the indicator light. Tried to boot into safe mode, but in MS' infinite wisdom, you can't get there directly while booting anymore.

Apparently winten decided RST is bad and is now FUBAR. Time to break out my USB winten installer for repair options. :-/

Last edited:
Now the USB winten installer won't boot either. What's going on? BIOS selected list of bootable drives and my SSD wasn't listed. Freaky deaky.

Knoppix Linux booted off live USB just fine. I can access the winten SSD, but not the other drives. I've always been able to access from Knoppix before.

Unplugged all my other drives (RAID 1 Mirror arrays) and it finally booted up into repair mode. Ended up using a restore point and boot repair and got it running.

Created a restore point and reinstalled RST. Broke windows again. Anyone else have issues with windows and RST?

Restored and installed an older version of RST. Broke windows again. Seems windows 10 is the culprit.

Saw the error that my OS SSD was unbootable. Apparently RST driver did something that windows won't recognize the drive's boot parameters. Windows changed something during one of its frequent updates. I really need RST to rebuild two RAID1 members that I had to split apart in the BIOS. If I do it in BIOS, all data will be lost.

Last edited:
I assume no backup image? I would have reached for mine already when reinstalling RST failed for the second time.

Is there any chance that there is some MS service that is in conflict with RST and can be switched off? My only thought here is to pull the plug on all non essential services and pray. Then make an emergency copy of the data and reinstall the OS with the knowledge that MS has killed another useful feature, thereby planning for the failure. Good luck

I'm going to buy another SSD and install Linux. Then run win 7 on a VM. Just about had it with all the breakage touted as features.

Either Intel or MS needs to fix this asap!

It's one thing having an important service you depend on quietly get turned off by the OS, but quite worse when the OS allows you to install RST and then not boot.

Windows 10 does "things" with storage drives. Bad "things". I'm not sure what, how, or why. I had all sorts of problems in a dual boot because Windows 10 decided to hide the HDD from Windows 7. That's not what happened in your case specifically, but I wonder if it was a contributing factor.

Never10. LOL

Back