• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help! Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 Speakers randomly popping and crackling after 1+ year

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BuRgLaR

I got these Klipsch ProMedia Speaker s probably a year and a half ago and they are in my mind the finest desktop 2.1 speakers I've ever bought and heard and the subwoofer is ungodly powerful.

However how after about a year and a half I'm starting to get a random crackling/pop that I can make go away if I turn the volume knobs all the way down and then back up.

IS it possible the built in amplifier is starting to go because I hope not I love these speakers to death and at the around $200 I paid it was well worth it.

Please tell me there's hope to save these because I picked them over the Bose because IMO they sounded better and more powerful.

If you're not familiar with these

http://www.klipsch.com/products/klipsch-promedia-2-1-computer-speakers#promedia-2-1

Anything's possible (loose wire, dying amp). I know of Promedia 2.1s purchased 10 years ago still going. Depends on degree and frequency of use as well as random **** luck with parts binning. A certain number of components manufactured are expect to fail, usually a very small percentage of the total made, and then as time passes the rate of failure increases (usually exponentially). Like with any manufactured good, some last a long time some don't.

Can't beat the sound quality for the money though.

very impressed still with these

Yup, I recommend them to people all the time. Best bang for the computing speaker buck IMO.

It occurred to me after my last post that because these have been made for such a long time, it's improbable that the same part makers supply the internals on these. It's possible that in order to keep the price the same they're starting to compromise on quality. :(

Yea I have had two sets of these, they know the pre-amp is a weakness with the Pro Media's and are way awesome at customer service

Simply call them and they will send it out, think it is $ 50.00 if out of warranty and free if with in warranty

It slides right off the speaker, easy replacement

Yea I have had two sets of these, they know the pre-amp is a weakness with the Pro Media's and are way awesome at customer service

Simply call them and they will send it out, think it is $ 50.00 if out of warranty and free if with in warranty

It slides right off the speaker, easy replacement
$50 is a deal because truthfully as happy as I am with the sound quality on these I wouldn't hesitate to buy another set in a heartbeat.

I wanted their 5.1 set but it's discontinued....

I bet that damn 5.1 system was utterly amazing or...maybe not... maybe thats why they dont make it anymore

I had the 5.1, it was a monster, but ultimantly got crushed by the lower cost Logitech 5.1 system, that was an amazing deal as well

However the Pro Media's edged them out in sound quality IMO

I have them for many years now and I use them as my secondary speakers outside of my studio monitors. I mainly use them to play Rocksmith 2014 remastered with my bass guitar and to work with audio to see how they sound after it has been mastered exported. They are great speakers and very powerful however I hate how they don't have a power off button and you have to control the EQ from within your computer. I think they are great for the value and performance with my bass guitar. I beat the hell out of them when I play Rock and some Metal songs. Still kicking and rocking with no issues at all. =)

IMG_20170204_220105680.jpg

Mine are the KLIPSCH PROMEDIA 2.1 COMPUTER SPEAKERS as you can see on the picture above.

Wow what a timely thread. And thanks for the welcome to your boards. I thought I was going crazy because this is the second Klipsch Pro Media system I've owned. Problem I'm having is that the left speaker is completely silent. First set last me about three years and then I had the same problem and purchased another set for $129 which was pretty awesome Best Buy but now it looks like they're discontinued in favor of the Bluetooth wireless system. But they sound great and when I switch the speaker wires I can get the left one to work but then the right one is dead.

I'm no electrician, but I do know how to connect speaker wires. Since this is happened with different system straight out of the box brand-new after a matter of time I'm assuming it's gonna happen again. So now I am questioning whether or not to spend money to get the subwoofer where the amp is located fixed or looked at for about $75-$95, as it is just a month or two out of warranty, or purchase another system don't want to do. So then that begs the next question as to what is the next best system out there for under $200? The subwoofer was incredible, the clarity of both left and right channels speakers top-notch and got me through thousands of hours of gaming and music between the two over the last five years. Alas, what would you do in my situation? I'm so desperate I'm even thinking about breaking out the aluminum foil to see if I can get a tighter connection in the port like the old days. Thanks guys.

At 1 or 2 months out of warranty, I would email Klipsch, and while praising their wonderful product mention your left channel *&%# the bed and ask if they know of any way to take care of the problem at low cost, as you're saving for your next Klipsch purchase and are short of funds due to that. And you asked them for advice because of their reputation for great customer service. A little virtual butt smooching may go a long way towards getting your problem fixed. Maybe mention you were advised to throw it out and buy another brand but you believe in Klipsch. :D If that fails, well, here's a schematic, as your left amplifier channel seems to have clocked out and gone home. http://www.thompdale.com/bash_amplifier/2-1/2-1_bash_amp.htm

Wow what a timely thread. And thanks for the welcome to your boards. I thought I was going crazy because this is the second Klipsch Pro Media system I've owned. Problem I'm having is that the left speaker is completely silent. First set last me about three years and then I had the same problem and purchased another set for $129 which was pretty awesome Best Buy but now it looks like they're discontinued in favor of the Bluetooth wireless system. But they sound great and when I switch the speaker wires I can get the left one to work but then the right one is dead.

I'm no electrician, but I do know how to connect speaker wires. Since this is happened with different system straight out of the box brand-new after a matter of time I'm assuming it's gonna happen again. So now I am questioning whether or not to spend money to get the subwoofer where the amp is located fixed or looked at for about $75-$95, as it is just a month or two out of warranty, or purchase another system don't want to do. So then that begs the next question as to what is the next best system out there for under $200? The subwoofer was incredible, the clarity of both left and right channels speakers top-notch and got me through thousands of hours of gaming and music between the two over the last five years. Alas, what would you do in my situation? I'm so desperate I'm even thinking about breaking out the aluminum foil to see if I can get a tighter connection in the port like the old days. Thanks guys.
I had the same problem before and it was solved by reinstallation of audio driver under Win10. My sound card is Asus Xonar Essence STX.

Back