• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP i7-6800k vs 2x e5-2670 rendering and editing rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GIXXERGUY6

I am confused I have been seeing that PP loves work stations, but everything I'm seeing is saying otherwise.

I originally thought about building a dual socket e5-2670 64gb ddr4-2133 with my 2 GTX770's

I also just watched a few comparison videos so I was thinking about the setup below

i7-6800k 64gb ddr4-2400 with a Kraken 62 and clocking to 4.4

Both setups would utilize an SSD for OS/Applications 2 512gb SSD(one for read, one for write)
3-2tb HDD for storage and other applications

The 4k encoding and rendering benchmarks are mixed. Premiere Pro says it loves cores, but performance seems to drop off after 7-8 cores.

Anyone have any input??

I just built this:
Asus x99-A-ii, i7-6800k, Gamer Storm H2O by Deepcool, 4x8gb ddr4-2133 g.skill ram, sandisk 240gb sshd, toshiba 3tb hdd,
Evda gold 750, windows 10 home, amd radeon hd 6700 in Fractal Midi Case.
For editing video in 4K.
I currently run Premier elements but may upgrade to pro. Anyhow I am very pleased with this setup. The only bottleneck is my video card.
I think 6 cores is a huge improvement over 4. I think having 4 matching (kit) ram cards probably makes a big difference over say 2-16gb.
My next upgrade will be m.2 card running NVMe. PPP is also supposed to make use of CUDA on your GPU.

My video cards are my downfall (2 gtg 760). I'm thinking 8x8gb sticks. How long are your render times, say for a 5 minute clip that has warp stabilizer and color correction?

My video cards are my downfall (2 gtg 760). I'm thinking 8x8gb sticks. How long are your render times, say for a 5 minute clip that has warp stabilizer and color correction?

It takes me 10 minutes to render anti-shake on a 2 minute 4K clip in Adobe Premier Elements 14.
But, I can turn a 22GB folder of 4K video and photos into a 1.66GB - 1280x720 video onto my hd.
Much longer to burn a blu-ray of course.
Does that help?
I want to add that, although my MB has 8 slots, I have read that my cpu/mb/ram have, like 4 lanes, and work well with 4 ram cards.
And the ram has to be a kit. I have yet to see an 8 card kit for sale. Otherwise, I would have patched together a bunch of ram-on-sale.

Last edited:
Not to be anti-intel, but AMDs Ryzen just dropped which may be a consideration for a Rendering/Editing rig? 8 core/16 thread for a pretty darn good price..

You're using one 240 ssd for OS/programs?

I was thinking about putting in a 500gb m.2 for OS/Programs I have 2 Samsung EVO 830 128gb here that are brand new I was thinking about running for scratch disks(one for read one for write or something) I also have 3-2tb HDD's I'll be using for storage

I wasn't sure if the 128's would be big enough or not. If not I'm going to just pick up 2 500 850's

- - - Updated - - -

Not to be anti-intel, but AMDs Ryzen just dropped which may be a consideration for a Rendering/Editing rig? 8 core/16 thread for a pretty darn good price..

I have thought about jumping to the dark side, but I'm an Intel fan through and through.

High-end m.2 cards can read 6 times faster than sata on my mb. Waiting for a price drop. So far 240gb is OK for windows and adobe premier/photoshop and temp. files.

Back