• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First time Intel owner (7600k) - OC Questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ekoh

So, first time owning an Intel and I'm having a friggen heck of a time getting a stable OC and I feel like there are more bells and whistles in the BIOS compared to my old 8120FX. I went to 4.5 which is a mild jump with stock voltage and one core got an error after about 5 or so mins. Rest ran fine for a while. I'm sure a bit of a V jump would solve that. The question is - after that I figured hell i'll just go all in.

I jumped up to 4.7 and set my voltage at 1.3v and can get into windows but immediate errors in p95. Same @ 4.8 @ 1.325v

Is there anything else I can tweak in the bios to avoid pushing any higher on my voltage?

System specs are in my BIOS

thanks!

When stress testing did you monitor vdroop? You may need to adjust llc to compensate for this depending on if you are experiencing vdroop.

Are you trying to adjust cache speed as well or just core speed?

Can you post up a screenshot of your stress test running with 2 instances of cpuz open. One with the main tab open and the other with the memory tab open. Also, if you have a program like HwInfo, have the sensors tab open so we can see the various voltages and temperatures.

Did you try using optimized default BIOS settings and just up the multiplier to 4.5GHz?

Right before I read your post I did that for 4.6 and have been p95ing with no issues. I've since bumped up to 4.7 and have dropped the v down a bit and still running fine. Gonna see if I can shave a bit of the voltage off again as im happy with 4.7 as it's a good jump, for now.

i do notice when running p95 my cpu speed fluctuates as well as the voltage goes from 1.28ish to 1.32ish, any way to compensate for that? If that's what we are talking about by vdroop. I also noticed my optimized settings set my multi to 47 and my cache ratio to 43, big deal with those not being the same?

- - - Updated - - -

Glad it is working good for you.:) Just curios what was the stock Vcore at 4.6GHz?

it had the stock vcore @ 1.35 which seemed intense. Considering I've seen some hit 4.8 with a sub 1.3

When you run optimized default Bios the Vcore works Dynamically from VID, also if you use Adaptive the Vcore VID will run according to CPU load and multiplier. What CPU speed fluctuation are you seeing?

- - - Updated - - -

i do notice when running p95 my cpu speed fluctuates as well as the voltage goes from 1.28ish to 1.32ish, any way to compensate for that? If that's what we are talking about by vdroop. I also noticed my optimized settings set my multi to 47 and my cache ratio to 43, big deal with those not being the same?

- - - Updated - - -

it had the stock vcore @ 1.35 which seemed intense. Considering I've seen some hit 4.8 with a sub 1.3

You should see how high you can clock before you lower the Voltage. 1.35v is set by intel at the factory for your Chip.

When you run optimized default Bios the Vcore works Dynamically from VID, also if you use Adaptive the Vcore VID will run according to CPU load and multiplier. What CPU speed fluctuation are you seeing?

- - - Updated - - -

You should see how high you can clock before you lower the Voltage. 1.35v is set by intel at the factory for your Chip.

Good idea, I'll give that a shot. I'm running around 35ish on core temps at 1.35v so i'd say that's safe thus far.

ekoh, you should have taken the time to get the CPU stable at 4.5. Find out what vcore it takes to get it stable at one overclock level before resorting to "hell i'll just go all in."

You may have a chip that just will not do 4.7 ghz on any kind of reasonable voltage. Most will do 4.8 and some will do 5.0 but they're all different and there are no guarantees. Safe 24/7 core voltage would be anything less than 1.4 if cooling holds up.

Don't depend too heavily on Prime95. Try other stress testers such as OCCT (large data set) and Realbench CPU stress test and AIDA64 Extreme. Remember that you are trying to test the stability of your overclock and not the power of your cooling system.

I'm assuming 35 is idle temp. What temp are you seeing under load with p95. Also as I said earlier a screenshot will help

ekoh, you should have taken the time to get the CPU stable at 4.5. Find out what vcore it takes to get it stable at one overclock level before resorting to "hell i'll just go all in."

You may have a chip that just will not do 4.7 ghz on any kind of reasonable voltage. Most will do 4.8 and some will do 5.0 but they're all different and there are no guarantees. Safe 24/7 core voltage would be anything less than 1.4 if cooling holds up.

Don't depend too heavily on Prime95. Try other stress testers such as OCCT (large data set) and Realbench CPU stress test and AIDA64 Extreme. Remember that you are trying to test the stability of your overclock and not the power of your cooling system.

You're right, I had to backtrack and start from my roots. I will say I have been running 4.7 @ 1.35 for roughly an hour w/ prime 95. Idle temps were @ 35ish - and temps under load are anywhere from 72-88, which I find odd. I'll try the other stress testing software here in a bit and report back

- - - Updated - - -

I'm assuming 35 is idle temp. What temp are you seeing under load with p95. Also as I said earlier a screenshot will help

I'll get a screenie here soon. I'm posting here from my MBP as my main rig is running on an old 160 SATA 2 hdd until my m2 comes in this week.

Good deal.

I see that you mention that you find the temperatures odd, How So?

Good deal.

I see that you mention that you find the temperatures odd, How So?

I just thought that spread was odd, but then again - the multiplier is going up and down up an down as well as with the voltage - so that could account for the spread of temps. Pic incoming

- - - Updated - - -

Untitled.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the info on that, I didn't know if going past 1.35 would be too much on it.

- - - Updated - - -

OCCT was quick to find an error - Back to the drawing board.

does the BCLK (or whatever it is) and the cache ratio have anything to do with stability?

bclk and cache both can effect the OC but your current settings are ok for what I am seeing. What I find odd is that your multiplier is fluctuating under load. This should not be happening. What setting did you change in the bios to push the OC to 47x

I can see that the CPU is throttling on the ITX board. Try using a fan directed on the VRM heatsink, any house fan will do for a test.

The "Min" column with the 30's c temp readings probably represent idle temps. Not all cores run at the full multiplier value all the time and also the reporting software polls different cores and different sensors at intervals.

- - - Updated - - -

I can see that the CPU is throttling on the ITX board. Try using a fan directed on the VRM heatsink, any house fan will do for a test.

This.

The "Min" column with the 30's c temp readings probably represent idle temps. Not all cores run at the full multiplier value all the time and also the reporting software polls different cores and different sensors at intervals.

- - - Updated - - -

This.

I was referencing the current speed of the CPUZ tab being at 4100 under full load with the stress test running.

I was referencing the current speed of the CPUZ tab being at 4100 under full load with the stress test running.

I did find it odd that it would throttle under load, and it would do it all over the board. Is there something that shows me the temp of the VRM?

Back