• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about motherboard headers.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Masher06

Hello all. I was reading over the manual for the mobo I plan to use in my first water cooling project, and it has dedicated water cooling headers. The mobo is the Asus Rog Maximus IX Formula. I was originally considering going with the extreme version of this mobo, but with no indication of a release date, I went with the Formula. The headers I am curious about are listed below.

2 pin Water Temp In
2 pin Water Temp Out
3 pin Water Flow

Now the purpose of the headers is fairly self explanatory, but I am not really sure what equipment I need to make use of those headers. Also, how does the computer show the data collected from the probes? I'm assuming it is some form of software, but we all know what happens when you do that.

Thanks for the help. My case is arriving on Thursday and I am ready to get this started. :)

Any air or water temp should work on those 2 pin headers.

As for the flow header, that isn't as easy as so since some flow meters use different calibrations from said companies. I would do so more research on that to make sure there is a compatible meter for that board.

That said, we rely on two temps in most situations unless your an extra science guy or new to this. New guys read stuff and say some folks have this I need this. You don't.

You only need to measure CPU and GPU temps. That's all that matters. The rest is gravy.... Bling And Lots more money and complications Adding fittings and wires. I played with some sensors long ago, they didn't matter. Once your Rads are big enough and the pump has a RPM alarm (your Mobo does) then you build the rig.

You test under load MAX load. Temps okay? Then normal usage is fine. Check it every once and a while. If you need to. The CPU and GPU have auto temp monitoring you can set in the BIOS for CPU and GPU has the same.

Don't over complicate something so simple. Two chips. One pump. Software can check that. You will have the software with the mobo and GPU.

Some like lots more, some add it later cuz they like to do it, some don't. Depends on your budget, ability, need, and bling factor you need.

Thanks for the input guys. One more stupid question that I haven't found an answer too. What controls the speed of the pump? Since it uses a PWM fan header, it seems logical that the speed is controllable. Or do the pumps just run in an on/off configuration?

Back