• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

memory upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Something tells me, deep down inside, that I fried the MB. I placed the jumper when resetting the CMOS onto a white 3 prong instead of the blue 3 prong. I did smell a little burning, but turned off the pc before any, what could be, serious problems. I unplugged the pc, looked over the MB and found that I had connected the jumper in the wrong place. I quickly removed the jumper and placed it back where it belongs, put the old memory back in and started the computer. I have all my lights and fans working, but nothing comes up on the screen.

That would have been a fan header, that's not good. I'm sure the fan header is toast but we'll see about the board.
One thing though , did you ever actually set the jumper correctly on CMOS pins to clear it? That still should be done

yes, I did set it correctly. Like I said, I have all of my fans running and the Green LED light is working. As soon as I get home, I'll see if I can reset my power supply and plug it back in and try to start it again.

It's correct now but the CMOS still needs to be cleared ...NO?

I pulled the battery out and placed the jumper where it needed to be, than placed the battery back in only after I placed the jumper back where it should be.

not since I unplugged it from the wall last night. I did try it immediately after I realized what I did and I get all the above mentioned. nothing else.

Since it's been unplugged all night I would repeat my initial steps of pulling the battery and clearing the CMOS then install the original memory and cross my fingers.

ok, I had placed the original memory back in before I restarted it last night, but I will do as you say and I'll get back online either way. I have started to look for another MB that will support today's tech. I'll ask more about that later if this system is dead. Thank you for your help.

Ok,

I did exactly what you said, I reset the CMOS and pulled the battery and I made sure everything was placed in the correct place this time. I ended up letting it sit after everything was reset for about 2 hrs before plugging it back in. The original memory was already installed from last night. When I turned it on at 530pm this evening, it came on with the HDD light, not the blue power light, the system turned off after a few seconds and turned back on the same way and did not post. I'm not sure where to go from here, unless the board is dead: then, I'll look for a current board, processor and memory for the case and reuse everything else.

Did the BIOS somehow get wiped from the system? If so, Is there anyway I can put the BIOS back in? I know there is likely no chance, but I have to ask.

Not likely the BIOS. Could be the PSU because of the short or the board. If you have another PSU I would check that first. I know you would think if the PSU is gone it just wouldn't do anything but I have seen exactly what you're seeing and it was a PSU problem. Those are also symptoms of a motherboard failure too.

I'm just wondering if I should just Replace the motherboard and go from there? I would think it was a MB failure because of that short I did on the board with the jumper. Besides, it is a 750W PSU and had been sitting in the system plugged in for 6 yrs. It could have gone bad because of the mistakes I have made. I'll have to buy another PSU and go from there.

I'll get back to you when I get another one and in the system. I will know that if the system still won't post after the new PSU, then it will be the board.

Is there a PSU that you recommend?

Thank you.

The g2 and g3 supernova to be exact. Best tier 1 bang for your buck psus....

Their 500b is a great budget unit too.. tier2, but still plenty serviceable!

Last edited:
ok,

Just bought the g2 supernova. I'll have it Tuesday next week. I'll keep looking and reading on here to learn more and get back on here to let you know if it worked or I need another MB.

It has been difficult getting back into the swing of things with computer architecture. I'm always willing to learn as much as I can.

Thank you again

For future reference when clearing the CMOS the big idea is to make sure there is no power to the motherboard when moving the jumper, either to the clear position or while moving it back to the default position. Before moving the jumper I always disconnect the PSU power plug from the wall and then push the case power button to drain the capacitors in the PSU and on the motherboard. Then I move the jumper to reset position for about 30 seconds. Then I move it back to default. Only then do I plug the PSU back into the wall and attempt to power up the system.

But the burning smell you describe indicates some component probably fried.

Last edited:
Johan45,

I received the PSU today, carefully hooking it all up and placing everything where it goes. I turned the PC on and it does the same thing. Power comes on, 5-10 seconds later it goes off, then a few seconds later, it comes back on. I think the board is shot.

Now, after I tried to start it with no post, I did shut it down, unplugged it and reset the CMOS and pulled battery. When it was done this time, I still get the same result.

Last edited:
Something definitely got fried as Trents said about the smell.

I knew that and figure the board had been fried.

Are there any E8600 boards FSB 1600 available that you know of? I have been looking and I know they are hard to come by. I figured it would be cheaper to replace the board than to go out and start buying the board, processor and memory. I'd like to find a board that I can play around with and learn from. With the mistakes I've made here, it will not happen again.

I pulled the HS off the processor just to make sure I remember what I placed in the PC 9 yrs ago. It is an Intel Pentium 2 duo, out of the box, it is 3.33Ghz FSB 800/1066/1333/1600. It gave me room to overclock it when I had time to learn about it. I wanted to increase the memory speed first, then at a later time, I would do the processor. If I read correctly when I bought the processor, I would have been able to overclock it to about 4.0Ghz or so. I couldn't find a max speed for the ASUS P5E3 board, but I knew it would support whatever speeds I would get out of the processor.

Anyway, if you can recommend a board to work with this processor, it would be great. Thank you

Last edited:
Back