• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

memory upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Phlebvam

Registered
I am running the following home built system from about 2008-2009:

ASUS P5E3 PRO MB
8GB 1066 Ram
LGA775 @ 3.33Ghz
ATI XFX 4870 Video card
Creative FX sound card

I finally got this thing back up and running after finding a virus and now I want to upgrade the RAM.

My problem is, my BIOS shows that it will auto detect all of the following speeds 1800 OC/ 1600 OC/ 1333/ 1066/ 800, but for some reason it will not detect the new 240 pin 1600 DDR3/ non-ECC/udimm. Do I have to set the bios to recognize the 1600 while the 1066 is in instead of auto detect for it to work?

This part of over clocking is new to me and I want to make sure everything is done right. I have been out of the lime light working on this system and keeping it updated and wanting to learn how to overclock it when I first built it.

Last edited:
Correct. 1066 is the base memory clock for the platform. In order to reach higher speeds, sethe the xmp profile in the bios. If that doesn't work, you can try raising the memory multiplier.

So, then, by using my currently 1066 memory to overclock for the newer memory, it's not going to damage the old memory in case I have to use it again? It will just overheat a little until I get the system shut down and the new memory in?

You don't want to mix and match sticks and speeds. Nkt a great idea for stability. You may have to add voltage to get the slower sticks running at the 1600mhz speeds.

Post up screesnhots (attach here, no 3rd party garbage, lol) of cpuz showing first tab, memory, and spd tabs showing the different sticks.

I already knew about mix matching sticks. I just want o get this up and going with faster memory. I know that the upgrade isn't much, but I think the system will rock a little and I know I'll see some but minor improvements in areas.

I'm at work right now, but as soon as I have time, I'll DL CPUZ and take pics of it running the new memory.

Thank you

After a quick read through this, I would start by shutting down and setting the CLR CMOS jumer and pull the battery for about ten minutes install the new memory, install the battery and reset the jumper . Go into BIOS and in the tweaker section where it say AI Overclock tuner ther will be a drop down select XMP, if your new sticks have an XMP programmed into them it should pick up the new settings. Then reboot, it should be that simple. If it won't start check the voltage for the ram in BIOS matches what is required by the sticks

I already knew about mix matching sticks. I just want o get this up and going with faster memory. I know that the upgrade isn't much, but I think the system will rock a little and I know I'll see some but minor improvements in areas.

I'm at work right now, but as soon as I have time, I'll DL CPUZ and take pics of it running the new memory.

Thank you
with just that memory speed increase... doubtful. If you are using more than you have, then you will feel some gains, absolutely. :)

@Johan45 - he has mismatched sticks. One set is 1066 the other 1600. Think it will till work?

I never said I had mismatched sticks. I am currently using 8GB 1066 memory and since I put the 8GB of 1600 memory in, I could not get the BIOS to load or even a picture on the monitor. What I wanted to know is, do I have to use the 1066 memory, go to the BIOS and change the settings for the 1600 memory, shut down the system and install the 8GB 1600 RAM.

I do know that I can mix memory, but the memory will only work with the slowest memory module. This I knew about, but I am not trying to mix match memory.

I am sorry for the misunderstanding.

I saw 1066 in the specs list, then you said new stick 1600. Later you said 1600 with 1066 something or other...thought it was in addition to...no worries.. my fault there I think!

Quite simply... enable xmp to reach those speeds. If you are hung, reset the cmos like Johan said. :)

ok, so enable xmp with the 1066 memory in. shut the system off, replace the memory to the 1600 memory, turn system on. If I get hung up or don't boot, shut down, reset cmos and restart.

No...

Do as Johan says...

1. Reset BIOS to defaults..
2. After that reboot, then enable XMP.
3. With luck... enjoy 1600 Mhz speeds.

Going from one set of memory to another is always an iffy thing. The BIOS tends to hang on to settings even after setting default values. This will cause the no boot you are seeing. If you clear the CMOS and I would also take the battery out as I said for 10-15 minutes. It should boot with the new sticks. If it doesn't then it's likely they may not work on that board OR and updated BIOS file could fix that. Takes a bit of testing.

I thought removing the battery to the BIOS would wipe the BIOS and I wouldn't have it anymore? If not, than that'll be the first thing I do.

It doesn't damage the BIOS at all only helps clear all the settings. The battery power is what keeps the BIOS "memory" when the PC is powered down. The BIOS itself is programmed in and has to be re-written or cleared with a programming tool.
The newest BIOS is 505, I would update to that one if your board isn't already

so then, with the pc still plugged in to the main power, but turned off, I pull the battery and reset the CMOS? I'm not quite understanding , i think.

ok, I reset the bios and there is no power. I do have a green light on the MB, but power will not come on. What do I do now?

I didn't at first, but found the problem and placed it back where it belonged, but now the power comes on, but won't post.

- - - Updated - - -

I even placed the original memory back in so that I could get to bios and set it to XMP, then turn it off and place the new ram in and reboot. But, I can't get to BIOS.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm sorry that I have been a pain in the rear about this. I have never done any type of overclocking before and I thought that I could just place the correct memory in, I wouldn't have to overclock, that It would just work.

Ok, Last night, when I fixed the jumper to the CMOS, I got my LED green light on the MB (the only light there). All fans work, I briefly hear the HDD and the lights on the front of the tower come on (1 blue and 1 red). After about 1 minute, they both shut off, power is still on. The only thing I can think of to do is reset the power supply. I have place the 1066 memory back in the system to see if I can get it to start after the CMOS reset. I have no idea where to go from here.

I did unplug the system from the wall last night before bed.

Back