• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Nvidia drivers neutering performance?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nebulous

Dreadnought Class Senior
Stereo555 and I have been playing together on FC4 since it began. He has a 1080 and I have the 1070 both Zotac cards and I have a modest clock of 2100/4500 and he only has the core clocked at 2050. Before we both notice the card's speeds running 99-100% and really cool temps, but recently we're both noticing the card's running between 65-70% or lower and our framerates are suffering because of it. We swapped drivers and still having the same exact problem. Kinda sucks we both have plenty of horsepower and cool temps, yet we continue to be having this problem when we're trying to game.

Anybody else having issues like these?

Fastest/coolest drivers for 10** cards are the 375.95 (especially if you play BF1), all above that have been iffy with temps and performance.

Most of the time with nVidia the latest drivers are NOT the best ☹️

I'm still using whatever drivers came with my card 10/16. They were current at the time (!) I haven't seen anything that makes me feel I'll benefit from changing them.

For my 660ti/980ti i'm using the 368.69, several games needed the updates (CoD3 most of all) and these had the biggest FPS improvements :thup:

I had no idea there were 'cooler' drivers... I'd love to see some testing on that one. :)

Neb, if you both are testing it with different cards, drivers, and systems, seems to point to the game? Did you lower settings or something? Enable vsync? Use DDU to uninstall your drivers?

Last edited:
I had no idea there were 'cooler' drivers... I'd love to see some testing on that one. :)

It depends on the particular settings on each driver set, for example the 371.**-374.** run a few degrees hotter then my 368.** and do less FPS in some games and more in others (as somewhat expected). Not surprised you never noticed as they are usually below ~5c but when you're running something hot as a 980ti/Titan that throttles at ~63c on air every little help counts ;)

Dude is Brazilian (let me know if you need anything translated) but the screenshots speak for themselves, he started these videos around a year ago on 391.91 :

Thanks for the link. :)

This dude is saying (showing) like 8C+???? Can't say I noticed anything like that. A couple C, fine.. variance... but that is DRAMATIC.

Some yes, but i assume those are beta or the ones that we hear screaming and weeping about as nothing works as it should. If you check other videos he posted most won't pass ~5c difference.

I don't understand why that would be... with meager fps differences. Interesting to note... thankfully I don't watch stats enough in my daily system to care enough about a bin or two dropping as it reaches an equilibrium.

As i said if you have Pascal it probably doesn't matter TBH, they run very cool compared to Maxwell, but the FPS difference are quite noticeable in certain driver revisions. Probably a good idea to only change drivers to the last of every iteration and a couple weeks after it came out to make sure there's no problems, will give you time to check forums and reviews.

Neb, if you both are testing it with different cards, drivers, and systems, seems to point to the game? Did you lower settings or something? Enable vsync? Use DDU to uninstall your drivers?

Used DDU every time I swap drivers. Nothing lowered in my system and neither Jeff's. Always disabled Vsync. As I stated before the game (FC4) used to run our cards full bore (98-99%) during game play unless switching maps. It also kept the framerates peaked. But then out of the blue I first noticed it then Jeff. We compared notes and sure enough something went trippy with the game. All other games run normal.

He played the new Ghost Recon beta last night and confirmed his card runs full bore again. I haven't tried the game yet.

I remember one thing with my last 780ti... An I post something on the forums aboyt it: previous driver were allowing a 1450MHz core (gamimnh stable0, while last ones were toping around 1360. Thing is both were giving the same results FPS wise.

Sure E_D can find the thread (well, moderators need to be of some use, right? :D).

Edit: need a back lit KBD...

Edit 2 : this one, 1483 core
http://hwbot.org/submission/3236288...___performance_geforce_gtx_780_ti_63408_marks
An ther, 1300 ish
http://hwbot.org/submission/3279001...k___cloud_gate_geforce_gtx_780_ti_37274_marks

Back