• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ultra Retro case builds & mods - Anyone here done one?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BuRgLaR

At least now for several years I've been tindering with the idea of doing a throwback build with some of the old school 286,386 and older style cases with modern components.

Have any of you guys done anything like this and how did it look?

I'm not doing this for my Ryzen build as I want it to be modern but I'm seriously considering doing this with my old FX hardware.

You guys got any pictures or stories to share?

I've repurposed a few older cases but nothing I would consider "Ultra Retro"

How far back are you thinking? Thinks to consider when choosing a retro case. 1. Airflow - Most older cases had absolutely horrible airflow. There was just no need for it back in the day. These newer systems pull a lot more power (i.e. more heat in the case). 2. Power Supply bay - I have an old AT case that I'll eventually turn into a small LAN box but the trouble I'll have with it is the old AT style PSU bay. My thought here is to use a SFF style but I'm not at that part of the planning phase. 3. MoBo Tray - If you're looking at AT or older then the motherboard tray will have different stand-offs. Not a major deal to change it, but something to consider.

I've repurposed a few older cases but nothing I would consider "Ultra Retro"

How far back are you thinking? Thinks to consider when choosing a retro case. 1. Airflow - Most older cases had absolutely horrible airflow. There was just no need for it back in the day. These newer systems pull a lot more power (i.e. more heat in the case). 2. Power Supply bay - I have an old AT case that I'll eventually turn into a small LAN box but the trouble I'll have with it is the old AT style PSU bay. My thought here is to use a SFF style but I'm not at that part of the planning phase. 3. MoBo Tray - If you're looking at AT or older then the motherboard tray will have different stand-offs. Not a major deal to change it, but something to consider.

I've looked at a few different era cases however the problem I am running into now is these "vintage cases" are now commanding a premium now as of several years ago could be had for next to nothing.

It's hard to justify spending over $100 on a hunk of 30 year old plastic but that may be what it takes.

It's hard to justify spending over $100 on a hunk of 30 year old plastic but that may be what it takes.

That's insane. I end up with the occasional "You're a computer guy, you want this old thing?" from neighbors and coworkers over the years. I recently gave away some old Antec monster because I was out of room in my junk closet. LOL

I received all of my older cases from friends and family that no longer had a use for them as they upgraded to laptops or tablets. I simply posted on Facebook that I was interested in older computers and I would be glad to do a DoD wipe of their hard drive to ensure all data was destroyed to protect their identity and financial information. Another great source I've found is garage sales. I have 3-4 friends that regularly go to these in the summer. Anytime they come across a computer they take a pick of the guts and send it to me. I use this more for Benchmarking as you can sometimes find some good older hardware and the owner not even know the value. I'm sure this would work in your case too.

I was thinking of turning an old 1940's radio into a pc build. Everything I've found tho were pretty beat up and needed alot of work. Still looking for something that hasn't been beat all to hell aside from age.

Back