• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What should I be looking for when stress testing?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

polskidro

I just decided to do a stress test before I overclock and my clock speeds keeps dipping.
Does this mean my cpu is faulty? Or should I be looking at the load %?

Depends, what program you're using and how big the dips are. You should put up a list of your parts too. That'll help identify any weakness. If it's throttling at stock my money is on your motherboard

CPU: AMD FX-4300
GPU: GTX 750
PSU: LC420H-12
Motherboard: ASRock 960GM-VGS3 FX
RAM: 8GB Micron DDR3 1600 MHz

And I've used 4 programs now. Including intelburntest, prime95, CPU-Z and AIDA64. The dips go from 3800 to 1200-1400 every 30 seconds or so.

That's throttling and definitely the motherboard. There's a few things you can try like pointing a fan on the power section and look for APM and disable it in BIOS ( don't think it'll have the option) but in reality the board can't handle the CPU

It did have the option. I've disaled it with no luck. The temperatures never go above 56 celcius so I was very confused when I saw the speeds dipping.

It's not a temperature issue, it's power drawn. The current draw is exceeding the boards design limits. Lokks like a 3 phase board most likely only 2 for the CPU. It never stood a chance

Because you would be cooling the power delivery section of the motherboard, not of the CPU.

Do you think downclocking my cpu could help make it more stable? So my motherboard doesn't have to draw as much power.

Yes, but you're better off cooling the power delivery section of the motherboard.

You might be able to just undervolt at the stock settings as well. That would save on power

If it's not a temperature issue what makes you say a fan could work?

The temperature you quote us is the processor temp, I'm guessing. Those are borderline for an AMD CPU but probably would be higher except for the throttling that is keeping them cooler than they might be otherwise. If you were to look at the temps of the VRM (power producing components, "Voltage Regulation Module") that's what's getting too hot and causing throttling.

Last edited:
Had that same motherboard it was pain in ***. Could go to 4.0 but would do the same thing meaning its useless OC. I don't suggest doing any OC on it, that motherboard simply cant handle anything.
On what you should be looking for are tmps of Package, socket and Motherboard in general, other things are speed drops and vcore drops. That motherboard dosnt have LLC meaning it will probably receive pounding on clock speed and vcore I think you already have that problem. Any drop larger than 100mhz is alarming and have to be reduced its clear indication that it isn't stable. In my situation LLC solved that little issue

Back