• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS ROG MAXIMUS IX HERO with 6700k overclock?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Sounds like good testing. Prime95 is what I use and it does take the same amount of time to test as other stress tests, if you want it to. Are you still going for 5.0GHz?

Yes sir. At 12:48AM, it will be 24 hours stable from prime95 v26.6 @ 4.9ghz and 1.325v. Once it hits 24 hours stable, ill save the profile to my BIOS and then i work on trying to get 5ghz :)

And temps are good, newest version of HWInfo 64-bit shows same temps as Asussuite, which is 71-72C at the max, so now i know i have some more thermal headroom to work with. Also ive been using my PC as its being stress tested, even gaming while its stress testing with no problems. So, its good so far. Ill see if i can hit 5ghz by the end of this weekend. I couldnt have done it without you bud, thanks, and to alaric, r_pierce, and everyone else who has chimed in on this thread.

I keep forgetting to send the pics to my PC from my phone to upload them. Ill have em up soon for you guys.

Last edited:
What version of HWiNFO64 are you using that mad a temperature difference? Gad to hear it is going well for you.:)

What version of HWiNFO64 are you using that mad a temperature difference? Gad to hear it is going well for you.:)

It's the newest one. It's a few numbers but I remember it starts with a 5. The only version that's newer is a beta version which I didn't want to get. I'll get the exact version number for you when I get out of bed lol. And it passed 24 hours, so I saved the 4.9ghz, 1.325v profile in bios and I'll go for 5ghz today. Those fans are crazy loud no I got about 5 hours of sleep the night before last when stress testing. I'm going to increase core voltage by .005, so I'll go 1.325, 1.330, 1.335, 1.340, etc. one of the guides said to increase voltage by .02 every time it does pass. That seems a bit much IMO.

Last edited:
I have the most recent HWiNFO64 and I also don't use the beta version. What do they mean by increase voltage by .02 every time it does pass?

I have the most recent HWiNFO64 and I also don't use the beta version. What do they mean by increase voltage by .02 every time it does pass?

I meant every time it DOESNT pass the stress test but it boots and open windows. One of the kaby lake overclocking guide said to increase voltage by .02 and repeat step 2 which was stress testing.

And the version of HWInfo that im using is v5.50-3130.

Last edited:
I meant every time it DOESNT pass the stress test but it boots and open windows. One of the kaby lake overclocking guide said to increase voltage by .02 and repeat step 2 which was stress testing.

And the version of HWInfo that im using is v5.50-3130.

I have the same version of HWiNFO64. I would do what Intel suggests 5-10mV.

3.2 - If not stable: Increase voltage
If the system was unstable during stress tests, try increasing the voltage. This will be required when overclocking higher than 100 to 200 MHz. Try increasing 5 to 10mV at a time and use the least voltage possible. When increasing voltage no longer improves stability, you may have reached the maximum stable frequency. It is recommended you select “adaptive” voltage mode before finalizing voltage settings.
Note: advanced overclockers may choose to increase voltage ahead of frequency on subsequent attempts. http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/gaming/how-to-overclock.html

I have the same version of HWiNFO64. I would do what Intel suggests 5-10mV.

3.2 - If not stable: Increase voltage
If the system was unstable during stress tests, try increasing the voltage. This will be required when overclocking higher than 100 to 200 MHz. Try increasing 5 to 10mV at a time and use the least voltage possible. When increasing voltage no longer improves stability, you may have reached the maximum stable frequency. It is recommended you select “adaptive” voltage mode before finalizing voltage settings.
Note: advanced overclockers may choose to increase voltage ahead of frequency on subsequent attempts. http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/gaming/how-to-overclock.html

Will do. But regarding adaptive mode, what exactly is that? Does that mean if I set it to 1.325 and it needs 1.350, it will automatically increase voltage to what the system needs to run that frequency?

Will do. But regarding adaptive mode, what exactly is that? Does that mean if I set it to 1.325 and it needs 1.350, it will automatically increase voltage to what the system needs to run that frequency?

Adaptive runs just like stock, however you pick what voltage is needed for maximum Vcore while stress testing. Adaptive is a power saving option just like stock Vcore it uses the VID in the CPU to control the voltage according to CPU load, multiplier, temperature and what you set for voltage.

Adaptive runs just like stock, however you pick what voltage is needed for maximum Vcore while stress testing. Adaptive is a power saving option just like stock Vcore it uses the VID in the CPU to control the voltage according to CPU load, multiplier, temperature and what you set for voltage.

Oh I see, so after stress testing on manual mode and finding the voltage i need for the frequency, change the mode to adaptive, is that what you are saying? thanks

Just got my Thermal Grizzly Kryonaught thermal grease today. Sunday deliveries from Amazon :) Will Apply the grease in between the cpu and cooler block tomorrow after work and start working at getting 5ghz.

Oh I see, so after stress testing on manual mode and finding the voltage i need for the frequency, change the mode to adaptive, is that what you are saying? thanks

Just got my Thermal Grizzly Kryonaught thermal grease today. Sunday deliveries from Amazon :) Will Apply the grease in between the cpu and cooler block tomorrow after work and start working at getting 5ghz.

If you want to use adaptive you could just test it first because the maximum voltage will be the same under load that you set it for seen by HWiNFO64 Vcore capture. Set it so static or adaptive Vcore maximum will be the same in HWiNFO64.

If you want to use adaptive you could just test it first because the maximum voltage will be the same under load that you set it for seen by HWiNFO64 Vcore capture. Set it so static or adaptive Vcore maximum will be the same in HWiNFO64.

So whatever core voltage it says on hwinfo, put the same number in bios? The Vcore is at 1.344 on HWInfo while it's set at 1.325v on bios, so for example if i were done and wanted to stay at 4.9ghz, i should change the vcore to 1.344 and set the mode to adaptive? Wouldnt increasing the vcore in bios increase the number on hwinfo as well though, changing it from 1.344v to something higher? Also on adaptive, theres more options. Theres 3 options that coime out, positive or negetive, amount of voltage for turbo mode, and i forgot the last one. So what should i set the 3 settings to if i were to set it to adaptive mode and leave it at 4.9ghz and 1.325v?

Is it really necessary for adaptive mode? If it's only for power saving, id stay with manual mode as ive always had. lol

Last edited:
Adaptive is just for power savings it is not necessary. If you wan't to use Adaptive set (additional turbo mode CPU core voltage) using what you have in Bios now 1.325v leave the + and the offset on Auto . However when you test there might be adjustments to make when you look at the Vcore in HWiNFO64 while stress testing.:)

Adaptive is just for power savings it is not necessary. If you wan't to use Adaptive set (additional turbo mode CPU core voltage) using what you have in Bios now 1.325v leave the + and the offset on Auto . However when you test there might be adjustments to make when you look at the Vcore in HWiNFO64 while stress testing.:)

Oh alright, I'll try that. If it's not stable, then ill just stick with manual mode, lol. But i think i understand what you mean, since manual mode will put out 1.325v at all times, adaptive mode will lower the voltage if im not using the PC at 100% load to save power, is that somewhat correct? Thanks bud.

Oh alright, I'll try that. If it's not stable, then ill just stick with manual mode, lol. But i think i understand what you mean, since manual mode will put out 1.325v at all times, adaptive mode will lower the voltage if im not using the PC at 100% load to save power, is that somewhat correct? Thanks bud.

Yes. The core voltage with adaptive while stress testing or idle will raise to maximum and lower to save power. It works by using CPU load, multiplier, Temperature, communicated by the CPU VID for calibration by the Voltage regulator module, just like running with all stock settings at turbo boost 4.5GHz.

Example Adaptive running Prime95 maximum 1.332v, RealBench maximum 1.284v, Web browsing maximum 1.320v, idle ~0.200v-0.800v.

The reason I said after you set the Adaptive Vcore in Bios to 1.325v then check HWiNFO64 with stress testing, is because some motherboards adaptive output calibration is different coming from the same fixed core voltage amount.

Last edited:
Set mode to adapytive mode, offset mode sign on +, Additional turbo mode CPU Core Voltage set to 1.325v, Offset Voltage set to auto.

Running Prime, HWInfo shows Vcore at 1.312, with 1.360 at the max. Asus suite shows 1.312v as well, same as on HWInfo. I just started prime so ill update if the vcore goes up on HWinfo.

Gotta run some errands so ill let prime run on adaptive mode at 1.325v at 4.9ghz and see how it is. I havent put the new thermal paste on yet. After waking up yesterday, i felt sick as hell, i was freezing cold and felt like i had the flu or something, so stayed in bed all day. This NJ weather sucks right now, cold one day, hot the next....

You have Adaptive set correctly. Looks like the 1.360v is your maximum. I was wondering if I could see your core voltage Bios page? All you have to do is when at the Bios page save it to a USB stick.

This is my rig, Adaptive running Prime95 v28.10 maximum 1.332v, RealBench maximum 1.284v, Web browsing maximum 1.320v, idle ~0.200v-0.800v.

CPU Core Voltage Control_[23-21-04].jpg

You have Adaptive set correctly. Looks like the 1.360v is your maximum. I was wondering if I could see your core voltage Bios page? All you have to do is when at the Bios page save it to a USB stick.

This is my rig, Adaptive running Prime95 v28.10 maximum 1.332v, RealBench maximum 1.284v, Web browsing maximum 1.320v, idle ~0.200v-0.800v.
View attachment 190633

Yeah no problem, I'll try. On my asus board, where I have the OC profiles, on the bottom it says save/load profile from/to USB drive so I'm assuming you're talking about that, I'll save my 4.9ghz profile to it and post it for ya.

So hwinfo showing 1.360v as the max voltage it hit while stress testing at 4.9ghz and 1.325v means I can't go over 1.360v?

If you're testing it with a new/newer version of P95 then yes that likely the max voltage you will ever see from the system.

Back