• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS ROG MAXIMUS IX HERO with 6700k overclock?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That is the best way to test, good job. Post back how it goes.

Will do. I read somewhere else where someone got the same code on the Asus hero vii mobo. Someone helped the OP by telling him that sometimes that ghappens when the cpu cooler is on too tight or the cpu may have bent pins but i used the cpu installation tool, and when i closed the cover, the top plastic piece on top of the cpu slot popped off just like it shows on youtube videos. Also when i had the 2 ram modules in that work properly, they booted up to the main page where i can go to bios and or install windows, etc, so i honestly dont believe i installed the cpu or cooler on improperly as it works perfectly fine with 2 of the 4 ram modules but the other 2 ram modules would not boot the pc up wheather its in slots 1 and 3, or 2 and 4. Also the Asus hero vii is an older board, so im pretty sure Asus would have fixed it if that was a problem. Im gonna return the ram regardless since today is the last day i can file a refund and i have to send it out by tomorrow , the 27th, so at least i will have another month just incase anything goes wrong. I did double check the cpu cooler, I hand tightened them then used a screwdriver and gave it another small turn, about an 1/8 of a full turn, nothing crazy.

Received second set of the GSkill Trident Z 3200mhz ram, none of them work. Im about to buy 2 seperate 16gb sets, may have better luck. They are compatible according to the list. I dont know why amazon is sending me defective ram. Out of 8 ram modules, 2 worked so far. And I had to send it back since the 2 it came with didnt work.

Might be time to contact G. Skill and RMA the memory. I doubt they'll be happy with your experience so far, and will likely want to fix it for you quickly.

Received second set of the GSkill Trident Z 3200mhz ram, none of them work. I'm about to buy 2 separate 16gb sets, may have better luck. They are compatible according to the list. I don't know why amazon is sending me defective ram. Out of 8 ram modules, 2 worked so far. And I had to send it back since the 2 it came with didn't work.

Did they not work at stock or overclocked? What are the model numbers of ram from both sets? I hope the new set you get works well.

This is the exact set I bought. F4-3200C16Q-32GTZKW
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H2P1HMA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

According to the model number, on asus hero ix motherboard, it says its compatible.

And it did boot up the first time with 2 of the modules. I believe i have to put in 2 first, then get it started and go to bios to turn on XMP, then the other 2 will work. But with the new set, I did try 2 modules in at first in slot 2 & 4, then 1 & 3. neither set worked.

If you guys suggest a diffferent brand like corsair vengeance lpx or the led version, that's fine too. I just read that the GSkill trident Z were a little better, especially for overclocking. Even though I'm just going to enable XMP, I just wanted the top 32gb 4x8gb 3200mhz kit. And id like to keep the price around 300 tops for 4 sticks of 8gb ram, totalling 32gb.

Some say getting 2 seperate 16gb kits is fine but Gskill told me that it may not allow the ram to reach maximum potential because theyre not a set. I think its BS, but ill take any opinions or advice you can give me cause im stuck on the ram part and it's getting annoying as this is the second set. I got the set yesterday, took out 1 pack of 2 ram modules and put them in 2 & 4, and my mobo stopped on code 55 which means "no ram". So its not a code saying its defective, but its saying i dont have ram in. But i just cant get it to boot with either packs of 2, in the 4 pack set i posted above.

Last edited:
Just saw the new corsair vengeance RGB on Amazon. Heres the link https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Veng...0787499&sr=8-1&keywords=corsair+vengeance+rgb

It's 3000mhz, but i honestly doubt 200mhz makes a difference, i just figured 3200mhz ram is a big step up from my gskill ripjaws 4 2400mhz 16gb ram module on my current PC, which i only have 2x8gb. Which i plan on giving to my mother as I wouldnt want to mess this PC up, as its running perfect. The PC im using now if you were confused.

I know actual storage size like 32gb is more important than ram speed. But 2400mhz to 3200mhz is almost a whole ghz faster. Regardless, its one of the newer ram sets and pretty compatible with allmost all mobos at the moment. If you suggest another set, please post the link from amazon as i chose to get the refund in a gift card, which is faster than going back to my debit card. Its almost instant. As soon as i sent it back at UPS, they already gave me the balance in a gift card, in my amazon account so i could order another set today and get it within 1-2 days. Only Amazon Prime deals please. If this 3rd set does not work, I will get my refund back into my debit card, and buy a set at microcenter or newegg, because this is getting frustrating, 2 brand new sets. Unless im doing something wrong, please let me know.

Btw, I did take the cpu out to double check the pins were fine and everything looked fine.

I believe you are doing everything correctly your just having bad luck. G.SKILL is correct they test the ram set for a month for part binning of speed and timings category.

Did you test the G.SKILL individually just to see? With XMP set what is the Vccio and Vccsa in HWiNFO64?

It looks like this.
Vccsa.jpg

MAXIMUS IX HERO is on the qualified vendors list for G.SKILL: http://gskill.com/en/product/f4-3200c16q-32gtzkw, I would try another set of G.SKILL.

Last edited:
I believe you are doing everything correctly your just having bad luck. G.SKILL is correct they test the ram set for a month for part binning of speed and timings category.

Did you test the G.SKILL individually just to see? With XMP set what is the Vccio and Vccsa in HWiNFO64?

It looks like this.
View attachment 189713

MAXIMUS IX HERO is on the qualified vendors list for G.SKILL: http://gskill.com/en/product/f4-3200c16q-32gtzkw, I would try another set of G.SKILL.

I only got to bios once, with 2 ram modules from the first set, so i wasnt even able to get to that page. How do I test them individually? I thought ram only works in sets of 2 for dual channel like z170 and 270 boards, right?

I took your advice and ordered another set of the same exact one. I do like GSkill products, and I believe the Trident Z is a good quality RAM. Much appreciated bud.

-J

The set, did say to run it at 1.35v instead of 1.2v. Timing is 16-18-18-38. Will be here Saturday.

I only got to bios once, with 2 ram modules from the first set, so i wasnt even able to get to that page. How do I test them individually? I thought ram only works in sets of 2 for dual channel like z170 and 270 boards, right?

I took your advice and ordered another set of the same exact one. I do like GSkill products, and I believe the Trident Z is a good quality RAM. Much appreciated bud.

-J

The set, did say to run it at 1.35v instead of 1.2v. Timing is 16-18-18-38. Will be here Saturday.

When setting XMP it will set the timings, sub timings and voltages automatically. I like G.SKILL a lot also, if you have two or four working with XMP post a screenshot of Vccio and Vccia.

You can use one stick of memory for testing or running, however it will be single channel then.

Hopefully you get a good set, however if you have the old set try and find out if you have a bad stick so you can mix and match if you need to.

I once had two bad sets of memory 3 time was a charm, good luck.

Will do, thanks wingman. I hope tyhe third set all works as well. I already sent the second set back. Amazon allows you to choose if you want the refund back in your original payment of debit or credit card which takes up to 7 days after they receive the item back but if i choose to receive the refund in an amazon git card balance on my account, i get the refund within an hour after i drop the package off and they scan it at the UPS store, so i can order another set immediatel;y instead of waiting. I like this new method they use. Its useful for people who are just exchanging products, etc. I got one set this week and should have my second set by sat.

Third set, 3 out of 4 ram modules work. I first tried the first set, booted up fine. Then tried second set, and code 55 came up. I took the second set and only put 1 ram odule in at a time to see if both are defective or only 1. 1 of the second set booted up and the second 1 gave me code 55 on my mobo. This is my third set, im getting very frustrated. I tried calling gskill on the 909 USA customer service number and i keep getting a busy tone. I dont know what to do. I even turned on XMP when i had the first set installed. Please help.

I think I'm better off buying 2 sets of 16gb 2x8gb 3200mhz set instead of 1 4x8gb sets. Seems like Id have better luck that way. Or maybe just go with the corsair vengeance lpx for a little more money. My boy with an asus prime A z270 bought a 16gb 2x8gb 3200mhz set first for his 7700k buuild and then a few weeks later he bought another set to upgrade from 16gb to 32gb with no problems. He didnt overclock it, just enabled XMP so the RAM speed is at 3200mhz instead of 2133mhz. Thats all i want. I want 32gb, not 16gb. Any advice, please let me know.

Alaric, did say RAM are rarely ever defective nowadays but I have to say otherwise, because this is my third set and I'm getting pissed off and more frustrated. This is the only thing stopping me from finishing my build. And i cant just return 1 ram module to amazon, id have to return the whole set and get another set, and who knows how many of the 4 ram modules will work on the next set. So whats your opinion on getting 2 16gb 2x8gb 3200mhz sets instead. That way, if 1 set works and the other doesnt, i only have to return 1 of them. Igf they didnt have serial numbers on them, id buy another set of the 4 pack and take 1 working ram out and put the defective one and return it but I'm not that kind of person. And also theres serial numbers on each ram module so i dont want any trouble from amazon.

-Jordan

It sounds like a plan. It's a shame honesty makes things inconvenient, but it's an admirable trait and definitely worth respecting. :thup: Your case is definitely the worst I've heard of with bad RAM. It sounds like Amazon got a bad batch. That's why I suggested going through G. Skill, but Corsair is good RAM, too.

It sounds like a plan. It's a shame honesty makes things inconvenient, but it's an admirable trait and definitely worth respecting. :thup: Your case is definitely the worst I've heard of with bad RAM. It sounds like Amazon got a bad batch. That's why I suggested going through G. Skill, but Corsair is good RAM, too.

Ive had my eye on these RAM if the gskill did not work, https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Veng...098473&sr=8-18&keywords=corsair+vengeance+led

Same as my bbuddy who bought 16gb first then another 16gb later. And it has red led which will match just fine with my asus ROG mobo. The corsair platinum is the best from what i hear, then tridentz and corsair vengeance, but the platinums are about 400 bucks so i will pay the extra $50-60 for the corsair instead. Will return on monday and get the refund within an hour, then order the corsair ram since they are shipped and sold by amazon whereas thre gskilll was sold by someone named jaydash and fulfilled by amazon. I have had horrible luck. I spent about 1k on my build minus my 6-700 gpu, and i cant believe these ram are stopping me. Gskill wont answer and i get a busy tone so their lifetime warantees doesnt mean much if you cant get intouch with anyone at gskill.

I tried going through Gskill Alaric, I called them multiople times but kept getting busy signal. So i finally emailed them. It would take longer to go thorugh gskill then it would be to just get a new set from amazon. I will call Amazon inthe morning.

Once all the ram works, i will then install the gtx1080 from my currrent build that im using now. and then install windows 10 pro.

Thanks wingman and alaric

I think I'm better off buying 2 sets of 16gb 2x8gb 3200mhz set instead of 1 4x8gb sets. Seems like Id have better luck that way. Or maybe just go with the corsair vengeance lpx for a little more money. My boy with an asus prime A z270 bought a 16gb 2x8gb 3200mhz set first for his 7700k buuild and then a few weeks later he bought another set to upgrade from 16gb to 32gb with no problems. He didnt overclock it, just enabled XMP so the RAM speed is at 3200mhz instead of 2133mhz. Thats all i want. I want 32gb, not 16gb. Any advice, please let me know.

Alaric, did say RAM are rarely ever defective nowadays but I have to say otherwise, because this is my third set and I'm getting pissed off and more frustrated. This is the only thing stopping me from finishing my build. And i cant just return 1 ram module to amazon, id have to return the whole set and get another set, and who knows how many of the 4 ram modules will work on the next set. So whats your opinion on getting 2 16gb 2x8gb 3200mhz sets instead. That way, if 1 set works and the other doesnt, i only have to return 1 of them. Igf they didnt have serial numbers on them, id buy another set of the 4 pack and take 1 working ram out and put the defective one and return it but I'm not that kind of person. And also theres serial numbers on each ram module so i dont want any trouble from amazon.

-Jordan

I would keep that set for now and order a new set mix and match if needed, then return the set your not using. Don't worry about the S/N Amazon won't give you any trouble your not cheating anyone, it is defective and G.SKILLs problem. G.SKILL tech is Monday to Friday.

Seems a bit odd that you are having this much trouble with RAM. Are you making sure they are fully seated?? Just seems a bit on the off side.

I would keep that set for now and order a new set mix and match if needed, then return the set your not using. Don't worry about the S/N Amazon won't give you any trouble your not cheating anyone, it is defective and G.SKILLs problem. G.SKILL tech is Monday to Friday.

Are you sure it wouldnt be a problem with ordering another 4 pack and just taking 1 of the working sticks out and putting the one defective one i have now into the pack and returning it? Because this IS thee best set ive gotten so far, as the 1st, only 2 worked and the second, 3-4 of them were defective. I didnt test them individually on the second set. If I mix and match, as long as its the same exact brand, speed and everything, it'll work properly with my PC, correct?

And yes, i make sure they are seated correctly. I first put the ram in 1 channel first, and i make sure to hear a click on the bottom, then a click on the top which brings the top locking piece into the ram module.

Loooked it up and mix and matching is fine as long as the timing speed and everything else is the same. Thanks, because since this is the best set ive gotten, i dont want to return the whole set, just the one module that does work cause who knows, maybe next set illl only get 1-2 working ram modules.

So I'll keep the 2 that is working on the motherboard. The other set, 1 works and 1 doesnt. If the new set has at least 2 working ram modules, im hoping, ill keep those 2 for the second channel (dimm 1&3). If only one works from the new set, ill keep that with the 1 extra working one i have now.

Just ordered on amazon. It will arrive today as well. At first, I ordered from a different seller but still PRIME, but I saw that it was the same seller and also it would be 2 day shipping, so i cancelled that order and ordered from another seller, but PRIME as well, and it has same day shipping so it will arrive today by 9pm according to amazon. They charged me for both but i cancelled the first order within 5 minutes so i received the email saying it was cancelled and ill get my refund tomorrow since today is a weekend day. And once i return the set i have now, I will have my money back for the second set i ordered today from the different seller with same day shipping. Confusing, but just wanna get this rig up and running already.

Also, i did enable XMP for the 2 ram modules that did work and it shows on bios that the speed is 3200mhz and not 2133mhz anymore. Once i get the new set, I will take out the 2 working ram modules and test which RAM modules from the new set works.

Thanks again wingman, youve been nothing but very helpful. I will post back tonight and let you guys knoowhow it goes. I'm really hoping this 4 pack has at least ONE working ram module. Fingers crossed. Im having very bad luck with the ram. Although I'm getting my money back, it sucks that i have $500 out even though half will go back in tomorow and the other half when i send the return back. But im getting pissed off with this so im gonna do what i gotta do. If for some reason, when i find all 4 working ram modules and it doesnt work, im gonna return all the ram and just get 2 sticks of 8gb 3200mhz. I dont know why 32gb wont work as my buddy first bought 16gb and a few weeks later bought another 16gb of the corsair vengeance LED 3200mhz and had no problems whatsoever.

Regards,

Jordan

Btw, now that XMP is enabled, once i find the 4 working ram modules, can install all 4 without having to change any bios settings or do I have to adjust the settings like voltage, etc?

Last edited:
YESSSS! The 4th set works. I put in 2 ram modules in 1&3 and booted up to Asus' Bios. Took them out, put in the other 2, fingers crossed and they worked! So I left the ram in 2&4, and I put the first set back in slot 1&3, and booted up to Bios. XMP is on so it's running at 3200mhz frequency, capacity is 32768mb which is 32gb and voltage was automatically set to 1.360v. I'm so glad I went with a different seller. I don't think the seller did it intentionally but here's something weird. The first 3 sets I received, the ram was in the plastic case with the model and serial number facing up. This set, the ram modules were all facing down and the plastic was a little cracked because it's not supposed to be put in that way so I'm thinking the seller or someone tested them to make sure they worked before they sell it...? I don't even care, I'm glad the ram is finally working.

Now I have to take my asus gtx 1080 out from my old computer then install windows. Install the drivers and definitely do some cable management since I spent 80-90 bucks on those braided cables lol. Also will be adding 3 noctua 3000rpm pwm fans for the push part on my 360mm CPU cooler and then I think I've finally built my first computer by myself :) with the help of you guys and YouTube of course. And a special thanks to wingman. I'm about 60% there since I'm including everything from installing the GPU and then installing all drivers, and finally overclocking the CPU to hopefully 4.9-5ghz. Will def need help with that because MSI's Bios is very different than Asus' Bios. Every company uses different terms. I'm on my ohh me now since I unplugged the cable to plug into my build so it'll post pics soon.

Success! Glad you finally got that sorted out. It would still be a good idea to let G. Skill know what you went through and who the seller was (maybe include some serial #s if you can). I can't imagine them being happy about all this.

Back