• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS ROG MAXIMUS IX HERO with 6700k overclock?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JordanF75

Hey guys, I'm new to this board, but not new to overclocking. This is my 2 and a half build. My first PC, my friend helped me out and I did the overclocking, it was a Q6600 OC'd to 3.0GHZ from 2.4GHZ. Lasted me 5 years, then upgraded to a Q9550. My friend upgraded his cpu so just gave me the Q9550 and I OC that to 3.something, ran prime95 for about 3 days straight on a air cooler for both of these. But i had an Asus P5Q Motherboard and that did not support windows 10 so i figured it was time for a new build.

My first real build was done last july 2016 when the gtx1080 first came out. I was kind of on a budget so i went with a msi z170 sli plus mobo ($120-130). It was a budget friendly board and had 4 stars on newegg, but I honestly hate the bios on this board which im using right now. Got the 6700k which was the top intel quad core cpu for gaming at the time with a h50i 120mm liquid cooler. I also got a evga 850 b2 power supply, 2x8gb 2400mhz g.skill ripjaws 4 ram, evo 850 ssd, and an asus strix gtx 1080 (the regular version , not the OC one, even though i should have went with that one for 70-100 bucks more. Anyways, Im upgrading my motherboard, power supply, ram, and ssd. Also my build is in a corsair 750D full tower case. I skimped out on the motherboard and power supply.

These are the new parts I ordered.

-Asus ROG MAXIMUS IX HERO Z270
-EVGA G2 1000w Gold certified Power Supply (definitely overkill, 850 is plenty but i wanted a gold certified and fully modular psu so i can get cable modsand better cable management)
-G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4x8GB 3200mhz Ram
-500GB 960 EVO M.2 SSD (I hear its the best right under the 960 pro, and my cousin just built his 6700k with a z170 and its crazy fast compared to my evo 850
-Corsair H100i V2 280mm(i believe, might be 240, regardless, theyre both similar interms of bringing the cpu temps down.) Or i may get the 360mm thermaltake cpu cooler. I can pick that up at micro center as i dont live far from one of their locations or order from amazon using prime. Im not in a rush, i want to do everything right. I do eventually want to do a custom water loop for the cpu, gpu, and M.2 drive as ive heard these drives tend to get pretty hot and custom loops i hear bring temps down 10-15 degrees celcious lower than the AIO cooler i listed. This is just what ive read in many article, i know all cpus and mobos are different, even though they are the same exact item.

I talked to an Asus rep and he said there wouldnt be any problems with compatiability since the 6700k and 7700k are both LGA 1151 socket. Also I hear its not worth upgrading from my 6700k to a 7700k just for a few hundred mhz on the cpu. My buddy got his 7700k to 5ghz stable with a thermaltake 360mm cooler and 1.32 voltage, he hit the silicon lottery im guessing, and he has a asus prime -A z270 mobo)

Anyways, ive wanted to upgrade my motherboard to the Asus hero VIII at first, but then saw that the z270s were coming out so i waited a couple months and the hero 8 and 9 are pretty much the same price. About $200-230.

I was just wondering if I would have any problems with my setup and overclocking my cpu back to 4.6-4.7 with a corsair h100i v2 cooler or something similar. Also since the ram i have is a higher speed, going from 2400mhz to 3200mhz, i was wondering if that would make a difference on the OC because while reading peoples reviews on z170 boards, they say if they go higher on the ram OC, they couldnt go as high on the CPU OC, but im not overclocking the ram, i just plan on using the XMP feature, as ive OC'd my ram before and didnt notice a difference, only in benchmarks, slightly. I dont see many people at the moment with a z270 and a 6700k overclocked, but i wa told to come on here as you guys know a lot. My PC is at 4.6ghz stable with the ram at 2400mhz (XMP), so i only overclocked my CPU and its alright but i just dont like the bios and also i wanted to get the 960 evo ssd which is hard to fit on my mobo considering how big the gtx1080 is. Any help would be appreciated. Asus said i donty need to flashback my BIOS or upodate. It will work with the 6700k right out of the box, only thing im worried about is the overclock. Will I be able to overclock it the same way i did with a z170 also with the higher speed ram, or will i have to underclock the ram to achieve a 4.6-4.7ghz cpu speed? I have the new mobo and power supply, the ram and 960 evo will be here friday. I figured since the hero 8 and 9 are pretty much the same price give or take 30 bucks, i may as well go with the z270. The only thing i heard i wouldnt be able to use is the intel octame feature. Other than that, everything should be good to go. I didnt open anything yet and i purchased from amazon and newegg, and theyre both easy to deal with when it comes to retruns. So before i upgrade, i was hoping i could get all the advice i can. Thank you for your time guys, i appreciate it.

Regards,

Jordan

Last edited:
:welcome: to the OCF!

All should run fine. 6700K is compatible with MIX Hero and will overclock as good as on high Z170 motherboards.
Memory frequency is not affecting CPU overclocking. Usually high cache frequency is affecting CPU and memory overclocking as it's linked but you don't have to overclock cache.
Simply your RAM should work fine at XMP settings and probably some more. This motherboard supports higher frequencies without issues.
M.2 slot is designed to be under PCIE cards so it won't cause any issues when you install even the largest graphics card.

:welcome: to the OCF!

All should run fine. 6700K is compatible with MIX Hero and will overclock as good as on high Z170 motherboards.
Memory frequency is not affecting CPU overclocking. Usually high cache frequency is affecting CPU and memory overclocking as it's linked but you don't have to overclock cache.
Simply your RAM should work fine at XMP settings and probably some more. This motherboard supports higher frequencies without issues.

Thanks Woomack, I appreciate this more than you could know. And i'm relieved that everything is compatible and will be fine to overclock my cpu back to 4.6, maybe even 4.7 since im getting a better cpu cooler and the new motherboard should help.

If you read reviews on the msi z170 sli plus that i have now, you can see that it does overclock alright but its not the best for overclocking. Also, I didnt know i could overclock my GPU, but i found a guide on ASUS that shows me how to overclock my asus strix non OC version. Idoubt i will see a difference other than in benchmarks, so i may not even mess with that. Thanks again. I did put all the parts on pcpartspicker and didnt have any issues or compatability issues.

Only thing i heard was the ram slot closest to the cpu may not fit since the tridentZ are kinda high in height but i think thats more for micro matx motherboards. I was deciding between the teidentz and the corsair vengeance led. The tridentz rgb 3200mhz was out of stock or i would have bought those. I like ram with led or rgb so i can tell which ram card is defective instead of testing each one.

And yes, I know that the hero 9 supports higher ram than the hero 8. The 9 goes above 4000mhz while the 8 goes to 3600s, but I hear 2800-3200 is the sweet spot for ddr4 ram for the 6700k. Also i hear anything over 3000mhz, you wouldnt see much difference. I dont know if thats true or not, just what i hear and read. I do alot of research before doing anything and try to get as much advice and opinions as possible tyo get the best results. Thanks for your time bud, whooo. Cant wait to upgrade. I even thought about sending my 6700k to siliconlottery to have them delid it. The rep said id proably get an extra 100mhz and definitely lower cpu temps, and only 50 bucks so not bad, but im sure with a good cpu cooler or custom loop(this summer) ill be fine. 1 thing at a time lol. Right now, i just want to put the components together and get the cpu to 4.6-4.7ghz and keep the voltage around 1.35-1.36, im hoping lower with all the new compoonennts but im pretty sure it all depends on the cpu.

Btw, just did some more research regarding upgrading to a 7700k from a 6700k and its not worth $350 in my opinion. The difference is so little. According to Asus, they have a 5ghz OC profile and if you have a asus rog mobo and the 7th gen 7700k, 80% of them should run stable at 5ghz. I'd love to be in the 5ghz club, but honestly, 4.6-4.7 is perfectly fine with me. Ive spent enough money. The compoonents i bought were not needed necessarily but i think it was a solid buy on the 4 parts. Better mobo, gold certified PSU with 10 year warranty, super duper fast SSD (the hype is not BS, M.2 drives really are very very fast when it comes to booting up and running apps that are on the drive, my buddy with the 960 evo and 6700k with z170 boots in less than 5 seconds and apps run smooth and fast, and one of the best ram out. I got a deal on newegg. its usually 250, i got it for 190 on newegg for the black/white ones. the other colors are 250 but the black/white 3200mhz tridentz is only 189.99 https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16820232317

Btw, any suggestions on a cpu cooler. Like i said, right now im using a h50i 120mm cooler but i switched the fans and im using the PWM 3000rpm noctua industrial fans in a push pull setup. it brought my cpu temps down about 6-7 degrees celcius immediately after installing that setup. The 750d can fit a 360mm, 280mm and 240mm all at the sdame time for a loop or a single AIO which is what im gonna get for now for 100-120, nothing crazy, just enough to get the job done and keep temps in the mid 20s at idle and 50s under load.

Regards,

Jordan

Last edited:
Even if RAM is defective then it will still glow as power for that is separated. Anyway RAM is barely ever defective and nearly all brands are giving lifetime warranty. Space between CPU socket and RAM slots on most motherboards is the same. Even these smallest boards have the same space. Exception are single ITX boards and ASUS Apex where slots are a bit closer but I was installing on them really large coolers without issues.
I had MSI Z170I Gaming Pro AC and Z170 Mortar. Both were overclocking good but required CPU voltage was higher than on some ASUS/ASRock boards because of no LLC and different power management. Maximum frequency on air/water was about the same on all my boards ( I had 6 or something Z170 and 2 Z270, right now I have only ASUS MIX Apex ). The main difference makes memory support and additional features.

Even if RAM is defective then it will still glow as power for that is separated. Anyway RAM is barely ever defective and nearly all brands are giving lifetime warranty. Space between CPU socket and RAM slots on most motherboards is the same. Even these smallest boards have the same space. Exception are single ITX boards and ASUS Apex where slots are a bit closer but I was installing on them really large coolers without issues.
I had MSI Z170I Gaming Pro AC and Z170 Mortar. Both were overclocking good but required CPU voltage was higher than on some ASUS/ASRock boards because of no LLC and different power management. Maximum frequency on air/water was about the same on all my boards ( I had 6 or something Z170 and 2 Z270, right now I have only ASUS MIX Apex ). The main difference makes memory support and additional features.

Gotcha, and youre right, just saw that the ram does have lifetime warranty. Glad i saved $100 on the RAM then, lol. But yeah, my MSI z170 sli plus doesnt allow me to adjust the LLC. It has Auto or mode 1 for the cpu calibration and cpu GT calibration.

The Asus Apex seems like a bada$$ board as well. Your board can support slightly higher ram than all the other asus z270s out right now. Im sure the asus extreme IX will be the best obviously when it comes out considering itll proablby cost 500-600. I like asus because their BIOS is very user friendly, and so is gigabyte imo. Ive never used asrock though so i cant comment on that.

Wow, 6 z170s! Why so many boards bud?

I didn't like some or they couldn't let me OC as high as I wanted. I also had RMA on one board and got something else in this time. Long story. I'm mainly using hardware for competitive overclocking and reviews. My gaming rig is usually worse than test rig ;)
Apex is the best for overclocking right now but doesn't have all features that you can find in more expensive boards. It's just designed for something else and I'm glad it's not as expensive as Extreme.

I didn't like some or they couldn't let me OC as high as I wanted. I also had RMA on one board and got something else in this time. Long story. I'm mainly using hardware for competitive overclocking and reviews. My gaming rig is usually worse than test rig ;)
Apex is the best for overclocking right now but doesn't have all features that you can find in more expensive boards. It's just designed for something else and I'm glad it's not as expensive as Extreme.

Oh ok, I gotcha. When I get my rig all set up, would you mind if i PM'd you if i have any issues oveerclocking my CPU with the asus hero IX z270 and my 6700k?

And yes, the extreme is really expensive. The extreme asssembly viii z170 has actually been on sale for a few months, $100 off, so its only $400 instread of 500. Still a bit too pricey for me for a mobo. I think 200-300 is more than enough for a good mobo for overclocking and gaming. Although if someone is already setting up a custom loop, it would make sense to get something like the formula or extreme since it has built in mosfet for liquid cooling and i believe the new asus extreme IX will have a cpu/mosfet block included with the board for full mobo and processor liquid cooling. Something like a mosfet/cpu block from bitspower or ekwb is about 180-200 so i guess the extreme for 500 actually isnt too bad. I got my eye on the heatkiller 3.0 cpu block or the koolance 390I CPU block though when i do decide to go with a custom water loop later this year. Will do plenty of research before i do that. dont want to get any leaks and ruin my components. :(

Btw, which other z270 board did you use besides the apex? Just curious.

Post back how you like the new Asus motherboard compered to the old.

I absolutely will. Have the Asus Hero IX and EVGA G2 1000w, just waiting on the 960 EVO 500gb M.2 SSD and the G.Skill TridentZ 32GB 4x8GB 3200 ram kit. The ram kit's timing is 16-18-18-38. I see that they had 14 and 15 but it was $100 more and from what some techs told me, unless I'm going to seriously overclock the ram, then Id be better off saving my money and just getting the ram kit with the Cas Latency of 16 rather than 15 or 14. Im just getting to know the diffferent timings and how all that works. I see you have a ram kit with the Cas Latency at 14, must have cost quite a bit, lol. The ram was the last thing i ordered, so many brands, models, than i found out about the diferent timing in the sets, but in the end i decided on 16-18-18-38 @ 3200mhz. Itll be a good upgrade from my Gskill ripjaws series 4 16gb 2x8gb 2400mhz kit. Basically doubled from 16gb to 32gb and going from 2400mhz to 3200mhz so 800mhz more and 16gb more as well. Both item will be here Friday. Im gonna order some cable mods for my new PSU. Im not gonna spend $100 on a set with 20 cables when i only need about 6-7 cables, lol. My buddy spent about 30 bucks on just the singular braided sleeved PSU cables.

Also, I have the most updated version of prime95 for stress testing, and one of my buddys told me that the newer versions stress the cpu tooo hard so he uses a older version. This is my buddy with the 7700k and asus prime A z270 mobo @ 5ghz. He got really lucky with the CPU. 5ghz @ 1.36ish volts. With a thermaltake 360mm AIO cooler. Anyways, I just wanted to know if the most updated version of prime95 is the way to go. I figured, if it stressed the cpu harder, itd give better and definitely more stable results. So please, if anyone knows anything about that, please let me know.

Regards,

Jordan

And thanks guys, Thhis is a great forum, and everyones been very helpful.

I think the current version of Prime95 creates more heat than is necessary for stability testing. I've seen that in several threads around OCF. I think 27.9 is the "good" one, but I'm not sure enough to bet your chip on it. :)

I think the current version of Prime95 creates more heat than is necessary for stability testing. I've seen that in several threads around OCF. I think 27.9 is the "good" one, but I'm not sure enough to bet your chip on it. :)

Yes, I remember him saying that as well about the heat since it stresses the CPU harder apparently. I always have HW monitor running as well as MSI command Center which is like the desktop version of BIOS to make sure temps dont go to high. Never above 60 with my h55i single 120mm AIO, but i will keep doing some more research regarding prime95. Im sure they keep up with the new gen CPUs, but I could be wrong.

I like your setup btw, and only needing a 550w PSU. The 1000w G2 is overkill, I know, but it was on sale at newegg for 140, so I just went for the 1000w. Just incase, SLI or custom water loop, or both in the future.

Thanks. You can run a lot of current generation GPUs and custom loops with 1000w PSU. On the plus side, if it fits in your case, you'll have the power to run it. :)

Thanks. You can run a lot of current generation GPUs and custom loops with 1000w PSU. On the plus side, if it fits in your case, you'll have the power to run it. :)

Yepp. To be honest, I was going to get a new case as well, the Thermaltake Core X9 in white. That case is like a cube but its definitely built for EXTREME water-cooling. it fits dual 480s on top, any many more, plus it can hold 20 fans!!! I like hows its seperated into 2 decks, looks great for cable management, meaning you cant see any messy cables if done right. Out of room? Just buy another one cause the case is stackable!!!

But when the time comes, I will run a custom loop. They just loook awesome and the components are endless, not to mention they do lower temps 10-15 degrees celcius more than AIOs from what ive heard. It's just so freaking pricey to build a custom loop, even just for cpu and gpu. the asus strix gtx 1080 waterblock from bitspower or ekwb is about $150 itself, just the block. But it really looks bad-a$$. Core X9, dual 360mm Monsta rads up top with push pull if theres enough room, I priced it out and the loop would cost me about 700-800 for dual pumps, waterblocks, rads, fittings, and the $170 case of course too. My 750D can only hold a 360 up top, and a 240-280 in the front and bottom, but ive seen some crazy 750D builds. Its a solid case, and HEAVY as hellllll LOL. First Im gonna work on function and make sure my rig is running on all cylinders and 100% stable, then il work on the looks andwater cooling stuff. 1 thing at a time, getting way ahead of myself, but ever since i built my pc, i just love everything about it, mods, water cooling loops, overclocking, etc. Case modding, overclocking, water cooling = Expensive hobby but the games, graphics, and speed of my computer would never be what it is just buying one off the shelf with the exception oif companies like cyberpowerpcs and all those custom building companies. Im writing like a mini novel here, ill stop lol.

I hear you. After a string of Dells I found out what the parts actually cost and what was possible and haven't bought a pre built since. Got my daughter in to building her own rigs a couple years ago and she's not even thinking of any other way now. I hate to think what Cyberpower would want for my simple rig. That, and I like to build my hot rods. :)

I absolutely will. Have the Asus Hero IX and EVGA G2 1000w, just waiting on the 960 EVO 500gb M.2 SSD and the G.Skill TridentZ 32GB 4x8GB 3200 ram kit. The ram kit's timing is 16-18-18-38. I see that they had 14 and 15 but it was $100 more and from what some techs told me, unless I'm going to seriously overclock the ram, then Id be better off saving my money and just getting the ram kit with the Cas Latency of 16 rather than 15 or 14. Im just getting to know the diffferent timings and how all that works. I see you have a ram kit with the Cas Latency at 14, must have cost quite a bit, lol. The ram was the last thing i ordered, so many brands, models, than i found out about the diferent timing in the sets, but in the end i decided on 16-18-18-38 @ 3200mhz. Itll be a good upgrade from my Gskill ripjaws series 4 16gb 2x8gb 2400mhz kit. Basically doubled from 16gb to 32gb and going from 2400mhz to 3200mhz so 800mhz more and 16gb more as well. Both item will be here Friday. Im gonna order some cable mods for my new PSU. Im not gonna spend $100 on a set with 20 cables when i only need about 6-7 cables, lol. My buddy spent about 30 bucks on just the singular braided sleeved PSU cables.

Also, I have the most updated version of prime95 for stress testing, and one of my buddys told me that the newer versions stress the cpu tooo hard so he uses a older version. This is my buddy with the 7700k and asus prime A z270 mobo @ 5ghz. He got really lucky with the CPU. 5ghz @ 1.36ish volts. With a thermaltake 360mm AIO cooler. Anyways, I just wanted to know if the most updated version of prime95 is the way to go. I figured, if it stressed the cpu harder, itd give better and definitely more stable results. So please, if anyone knows anything about that, please let me know.

Regards,

Jordan

And thanks guys, Thhis is a great forum, and everyones been very helpful.

I don't spend much so I don't waste money on a motherboard for a mild overclock from stock turbo 3.9GHz to OC 4.5GHz. That was my goal. I spent $99.00 on memory and now the price went up and the same memory cost $160.00. Memory cas latency is very important, you can have faster memory however is it really faster with lower cas latency, take a look for your self at the chart for speed and access time CL (in ns )

Column Access Strobe (CAS) latency, or CL, is the delay time between the moment a memory controller tells the memory module to access a particular memory column on a RAM module, and the moment the data from the given array location is available on the module's output pins. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAS_latency
With Prime95 28.10 you can disable AVX/FMA3 with this CpuSupportsAVX=0 added to local.txt in the prime95 folder. That way it will run with all the bug fixes without using the AVX/FMA3.

Last edited:
I don't spend much so I don't waste money on a motherboard for a mild overclock from stock turbo 3.9GHz to OC 4.5GHz. That was my goal. I spent $99.00 on memory and now the price went up and the same memory cost $160.00. Memory cas latency is very important, you can have faster memory however is it really faster with lower cas latency, take a look for your self at the chart for speed and access time CL (in ns )

With Prime95 28.10 you can disable AVX/FMA3 with this CpuSupportsAVX=0 added to local.txt in the prime95 folder. That way it will run with all the bug fixes without using the AVX/FMA3.

Wow, that chart basically does prove that lower latency is faster. I was looking at the 3200mhz ddr4 ram and it shows very little improvement with the lower cas latency though. In my opinion, it's not worth the extra $100+ for 15 or 14 cas latency than the 16 that i got, but i think its more personal preference now that i read that article on wiki.

CPU overclock frequency mostly depends on if your lucky or not and get a good cpu. A $500 motherboard would get the same results regarding cpu frequencies than a $200 motherboard from what the techs at silicon lottery told me. I just hated the MSI BIOS that my motherboard has and it looks very plain, and the BIOS sucks for overclocking. no led or rgb. Also, Ive always liked Asus products the best and their Bios has always been pretty easy to use compared to gigabyte, asrock and msi in my opinion. Also Asus ROG products like their mothrboards usually have a lot of additional features. It's all personal preference, but for me, Ill probably have this setup im about to do for a couple years with the exception of adding watercooling and possibly upgrading to an 8th gen CPU if it does indeed use the same socket size lga1151.

Thanks wingman

Last edited:
All these things are really a matter of personal preference for the most part and maybe what your are used to. I have an Asus Z170 Pro that I hate how the UEFI is arranged. I liked my ASRock Z97 UEFI much better when I was running a 4790k. So I just bought an ASRock Z270 Killer to replace the current Asus.

All these things are really a matter of personal preference for the most part and maybe what your are used to. I have an Asus Z170 Pro that I hate how the UEFI is arranged. I liked my ASRock Z97 UEFI much better when I was running a 4790k. So I just bought an ASRock Z270 Killer to replace the current Asus.

Yep, exactly what I said. Just personal preference, but i wouldnt say all z170s are the same and all z270s are the same. Tere are low end cheap boards, mid end boards and high end board, high end boards being the gigabyte gaming 9 z270, asus extreme z170 viii, gigabyte gaming G1 z170, etc. But when it comes to the cpu OC frequency, youll pretty much get the same result give or take 100mhz at most. This is just my opinion from all the research ive done and from some personal experience as well.

Nice, you got your 6600k top 4.7ghz. I'm assuming that may be because you have a custom water cooling loop rather than an AIO. Or you hit the silicon lottery lol. Everything in PC components, mods, water cooling, etc is all personal preference really. That's why I like it so much. The builds you can do are endless.

Wow, that chart basically does prove that lower latency is faster. I was looking at the 3200mhz ddr4 ram and it shows very little improvement with the lower cas latency though. In my opinion, it's not worth the extra $100+ for 15 or 14 cas latency than the 16 that i got, but i think its more personal preference now that i read that article on wiki.

CPU overclock frequency mostly depends on if your lucky or not and get a good cpu. A $500 motherboard would get the same results regarding cpu frequencies than a $200 motherboard from what the techs at silicon lottery told me. I just hated the MSI BIOS that my motherboard has and it looks very plain, and the BIOS sucks for overclocking. no led or rgb. Also, Ive always liked Asus products the best and their Bios has always been pretty easy to use compared to gigabyte, asrock and msi in my opinion. Also Asus ROG products like their mothrboards usually have a lot of additional features. It's all personal preference, but for me, Ill probably have this setup im about to do for a couple years with the exception of adding watercooling and possibly upgrading to an 8th gen CPU if it does indeed use the same socket size lga1151.

Thanks wingman

Yeah I agree Cas latency is a preference, however if you look hard at the CL chart memory speed (in ns) from 2800 to 3200 at CL 15 is also minor preference.

I have been overclocking for 22 years and the simpler the better for me, with my i5 6600k I only had to change two things in Bios to overclock one being the multiplier to 45 and the second being Dynamic VID of +0.075v then stress test and I was done.
I know you will like all the options in the Asus Bios I help people with them a lot there confusing on what they do, to me it is six of one, half a dozen of the other. Post back how you like your build and have fun JordanF75.:)

Yeah I agree Cas latency is a preference, however if you look hard at the CL chart memory speed (in ns) from 2800 to 3200 at CL 15 is also minor preference.

I have been overclocking for 22 years and the simpler the better for me, with my i5 6600k I only had to change two things in Bios to overclock one being the multiplier to 45 and the second being Dynamic VID of +0.075v then stress test and I was done.
I know you will like all the options in the Asus Bios I help people with them a lot there confusing on what they do, to me it is six of one, half a dozen of the other. Post back how you like your build and have fun JordanF75.:)

Thanks bud. Just got my ram and 960 evo today in the mail. So ill be upgrading my rig this weekend. Just gotta figure out how to use the samsung data migration so i can transfer my OS from my 850 evo to the 960 evo. I dont want to have to buy anopther windows 10 pro. I have the disc and its the full version but its installed on my 850 evo right now. Samsung said its pretty easy. I guess ill let you guys know how that goes as well since i will be using the 960 evo M.2 drive as my main boot/OS drive.

I will be using the XMP feature for RAM, wont be overclocking it. 3200mhz is fine with me. And Im not gonna OC my asus strix gtx 1080 either. Everyone ive asked so far sdaid only do it if youre into benchmarking, otherwise, you wont notice a difference in overclocking the gpu or the ram.

Btw, I shouldnt go over 1.4v while overclocking correct? I try to stay around 1.37-1.38 at the max. But the new mobo has more chokes and that means more stability for overclocking the cpu. Compared to the mobo i have now, i think the hero ix was a good choice for me and not too pricey. What do you think?

Thanks everyone,

Jordan

And Ill get back to you guys with my results and pics.

Last edited:
Back