• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS ROG MAXIMUS IX HERO with 6700k overclock?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Windows 10 ties to the motherboard. You'll probably have a very hard time getting it activated with a new mobo, if you can at all. W10 is picky to the point that a different board of the same model will give it fits.

Gotcha, so I gotta get a new windows 10. Noworries. I have a Windows 10 full version on a USB drive which i was going to use for when i use my remaining parts on my computer to build my mother a faster computer since she bought a $300 dell pc at wallmart or something 2 years agho and it takes liteally 30 seconds for chrome to load up, no exageration. So ill just keep the evo 850 with my old mobo and use the new windows. I plan on getting her a 6700k as well, so maybe ill just give her mine when the time comes and get the newer gen cpu, maybe 8th gen. im trying to avoid getting the 7700k because its not much of a diffference to the 6700k. And all im taking from my PC that im using now is the cpu, gpu, case and some fans, so i figured id get her a gtx 970 or gtx1060(she dont care about graphics, doesnt need anything crazy), about 150 bucks for 1060, give her my 6700k, and get her a case or give her mine and get the case i really want, the thermaltake core x9. Shes in no rush, i just feel bad for her cause her computer is so slow. Her bday is in a few months so ill build her a pc by then. But thanks, guess ill be doing a clean install after all which is good considering all the MSI apps will be on the 850 evo that im installing in her rig. And ill just copy or transfer the pics and documents over, thats easy.

- - - Updated - - -

Btw, ordered black/red cable mods for my evga G2 1000w and the thermaltake 360mm 3.0 cpu cooler from amazon. spent a little more on the cooler because i chose the one with the triple rgb fans which is actually cheaper than buying them seperately so all good. And tweaktown gave this product a 99% review so must be good, one of the biggest AIOs, most are only 240-280mm.

Thanks bud, I appreciate the assurance that I overclocked my CPU properly.

Im all ready to go and upgrade my rig, can you point me in thee right direction or if you know, how i can transfer my Windows 10 Pro OS Full Version from my 850 evo ssd that im currently using to the new 960 evo? Thats the only reason why i havent started with the upgrade, because i dont know if i will need another windows which will cost about 100 bucks but since im using it on the same computer, i hear samsungs data migration should help but ive read the guides on samsung and i still am confused on how to transfer my OS. I prefer a clean install since my cutrent OS has all the MSI apps for my mobo and i wont need that so id prefer a clean instal and ill install the gpu driver again and the asus herp ix drivers and utilities. The only things i need are my pics and about 6-7 pdf files, the rest can be erased, i dont even care. And i can re download battle net and log in and get all my games back as well, so if you can help me out there, or if anyone knows how to go about doing so, please let me know. Ill contact Samsung in the morning and see if they can walk me through it.

Also, ive decided on either the corsair h110i v2 or a kraken x62 for the time being. I might just get the x61 because i can care lkess right now about the rgb lights on the cpu block. Any advice as to which is better. Or i can get the 360mm thermaltake 3.0 AIO for about the same price as well. A good AIO for 100-130 bucks is what im willling to spend for a cpu cooler for the time being. I dont neeed anything crazy like the kraken x62 rgb, i rather just get the non rgb x61. Function first, looks after. I figured you most people on here who overclock use liquid coolers so i figured this would be the best place to ask which is the best AIO cooler out right now or top 3?

Thank you everyone, I apprecciate all your help and advice. Great forum. :)

If the windows 10 is OEM and not Retail you will need a new windows key changing to a new motherboard . To transfer the 850 evo to 960 evo, just boot up with the 850 evo and use the Samsung Data Migration Tool and transfer the Data to the 960 evo then shutdown the PC then you can uninstall the 850 evo boot back up and your done.

If the windows 10 is OEM and not Retail you will need a new windows key changing to a new motherboard . To transfer the 850 evo to 960 evo, just boot up with the 850 evo and use the Samsung Data Migration Tool and transfer the Data to the 960 evo then shutdown the PC then you can uninstall the 850 evo boot back up and your done.

My product ID, after all the numbers and dash symbols, the last 3 letters are OEM, so I'm guessing that means its not retail. I have a brand new unopened windows 10 pro full version 64 bit on a usb 3.0 drive so ill do a clean install and save my current windows 10 with the motherboard and evo 850 and in a short while, ill either put the 6700k back in and give the PC to my mother and get a newer edition cpu for myself. that seems like the easier way to go about it, and ill plug the evo 850 in to get my photos, and documents out. So in the end, ill still have 2 copies of windows 10, 1 on my new 960 evo and one on the 850 evo.

Since you said if my windows is not retail, ill need a new product key, so looking at the product key, im sure its OEM as the product key ends with OEM after the numbers.

Thank you both.

Samsung did tell me transferring the OS would be simple with the data migration but since the windows is OEM, just found out now, like you said, it's tied to that motherboard.

So are you going to run your i7 6700k with the new motherboard? You can buy a new Windows key for the OEM when you transfer the drive.

Last edited:
yes, i will be using my 6700k for the new hardware. I dont see the point right now in upgrading to the 7700k. And llike i said, i have a brand new windows 10 stillin wrapped box on a usb 3.0 flash drive. This one IS retail. The only thing im taking out from my current computer is the gtx1080, 6700k, and the case and fans really. So i can build another rig by just buying a gtx 1060 and another cpu and case. That will be towards this summer. So its no big deal with the windows 10.

Like Alaric said above, its better for a clean install since im basically doing a new build minus the cpu and gpu. Everything else ive bought is brand new. Its really not a big deal to transfer my OS since i have a new one, and the old evo 850 drive wilkl be staying with my old hardware which has the current windows 10 pro that im using anyways. I just spent about 1k so i figured id upgrade CPUs later down the road and put the 6700k back in my old rig and just buy something cheap like a 1060 gpu so my mother has a good computer to use. She doesnt game or anything, so theres no need to spend more than $150 on a graphics card for her build.

It would be easier for me just to take the cpu and gpu out and buy the case i want, and install everything into the new case, and all i have to do with my old rig is replace it with a cpu and gpu and itll boot up and windows 10 will already be on there.

- - - Updated - - -

Im going to be reusing the old msi z170 sli plus and the 850 evo ssd anyways to build my mother a computer so it's rreally not a big deal. That way, atleast all the msi apps are alreadfy on her computer.

Maybe you guys can help me out. All i need to finish my build with the new parts is a cpu and case, and im taking the asus strix gtx 1080 out. If you were in my situation, would you just go with the 7700k, get a new case, and replace the gtx1080 that im taking out for my rig, with something like a gtx980 or gtx1060? I feel like im taking apart a perfectly working computer and the only thing im using is the cpu, gpu and case. Obviously itll save time, but ill have to spend 350 for the cpu and 150 for the x9 case. Thats 500 bucks. It just seems so much easier and simpler to take out the gtx1080, but the 7700k and the case i want now because im gonna have to buy those parts later anyways when i build the pc for my mother. I would love to get your opinions. Also i have the brand new windows 10 pro OS for my new rig, so all id have to do is just transfer my pics and documents over to my drive, get a gtx 970 or 980 for the rig im using now, and itll be perfectly fine and ill have 2 working computers. I feel like if i take apart my rig now and upgrade it with the new parts, ill have alll the old parts sitting in a box and basically be wasting a whole other computer which can be put to use by my mother.

Im already 80-85% there from all the parts i just bought. just missing a cpu and case.

Thanks guys, i appreciate it.

We've decided to split the cost since it will save a lot of labor by leaving my pc how it is and just taking the asus strix gtx1080 out, and i will replace it with an asus gtx 1050 or 1050ti for 150-200 bucks. $340 for 7700k and 160 for core x9 case white.

I will do a reset on my current rig by using the windows 10 disc that it came with once i copy my pics, documents and videos over. That way i dont have uninstall the gtx1080 drivers, the reset will do it on its own and all i have to do is download the drivers from asus for the new gtx1050 gpu that i will be instlling in my current rig. I'm pretty sure this is the easier way to go about it without tearing apart a pc thats perfectly fine. Just taking out the gpu and switching out some of the led fans and putting the stock corsair fans back in, like i said, im only missing a cpu and case. Ive bought everything else, mobo, ram, m.2 drive, psu, and ill have my gtx1080. Any advice or opinions will be appreciated if you think what im doing is not a better idea than my original which was to just upgrade the mobo, ram, psu, and ssd.

My intentions was never to upgrade the 6700k to the 7700k, but i realized im gonna have to buy a new cpu and case eventually anyway.

Ill get this gpu for my current rig https://www.amazon.com/Geforce-Gami...7537&sr=8-1&keywords=gtx+1050+asus+strix&th=1

$100 for that gpu, more than she'll need since she doesnt game.

I took all your considerations into account and you guys said the OEM windows 10 is tied to the mobo, so i may as well leave the computer as it is and just do a new build. Ive already bought almost everything i needd for a second build lol. I will finish my current build first by switching out the 1080 for the 1050 and making sure everything works after the reset and installing the 1050 drivers, then i will start my 7700k z270 build. Maybe ill hit 5ghz like my buddy did with his 7700k, thermaltake 360mm 3.0 cpu cooler and z270 asus prime-a mobo.

Last edited:
Why don't you just have your mom use the on board video (IGPU) since she does not game, it will work fine for everything except gaming.

You should buy a processor from Silicon Lottery, guaranteed clock speed. LINK: https://siliconlottery.com/collections/lga-1151

Yeah I thought about that, but it's $100 for the gtx1050. She may not need it, but at least the pc will be good for at least 5-7 years with the 6700k. Im sure once she has my current rig, she'll start watching and streaming movies as well so i the gtx1050 will be more than enough. Even the prebuilt cpu she has now has a nobrand gpu. Not gonna cheap out on her even though she doesnt game. And I doubt the onboard gpu is any good. Even back then when i didnt game, i still had an ati radeon board which cost like 60-80 bucks now. Theres alot of good/decent componennts on that build, i just dont want to skimp out on aa $100 gpu which will be more than she'll need and cheap. Even budget builds include a graphic card, it's the least i can do for her. Maybe she'll get into gaming one day, lol. If she does, i wont have to worry. She can use it as a gaming desktop, workstation, or use it for watching/streeaming movies, itll be perfect for her, and like i said, 100 bucks, nothing crazy but itll handle 1080p @ 60fps if she ever needs it. It just looks incopmplete without a graphics card on the mobo and dont forget, its gonna be on the 750d case which has a big window on the side, so i want to give her a PC thatll look decent and perform very fast which will be compared to what shes using now. lol

And I thought about getting a CPU from them, according to ASUS, 80% of the 7700ks with a ROG board will hit 5ghz. They have a 5ghz OC profile already according to this. https://rog.asus.com/articles/maxim...-and-beyond-on-the-new-rog-z270-motherboards/

According to siliconlottery, 59% of 7700ks can hit 5ghz, 78% can hit 4.9ghz. I like the odds. Maybe ill get lucky.

But not sure how accurate they are. Seems hitting 4.8ghz isnt a problem since siliconlottery starts their 7700k at 4.9-5.2ghz without being delidded and using a 240mm corsair h105 or something like that liquid cooler. I think Ill be alright. Like i said, i had no intentions of upgrading 1 generation up but its now or in a few months, so i may as well just get both PC's up and running now. According to intel, only a 13% performance increase from 6700k to 7700k, so even if i hit 4.7-4.8ghz, itll still be higher clocked than my 6700k now. I will order tommorow from amazon, the cpu, case, and gtx1050(the $100 one i posted). I will think about getting the 4.9ghz 7700k since thats the same price for a new one on amazon, $340. Thanks wingman

I'll be happy with a 4.9ghz. If i hit 5ghz, ill be more than satisified with it. Since silicon lottery is selling the 4.9ghz for $340, same price as amazon, im pretty sure almost all of 7700k will hit 4.9ghz without any problems. And itll be brand new too. Not sure if siliconlottery warranties their CPU's but intel has a $30 plan that warranties it for overclocking. Also, siliconlotttery doesnt gaurantee the OC frequencies/voltage according to their warranty section, thats just what they achieved, so its still a hit or miss just like buying a new CPU, dont you think?

Last edited:
Well at least Silicon Lottery Bins the CPUs, I wold be curious to see what your luck is with Amazon. I have 3 PCs that I use the IGPU for movies videos and 4k.

Well at least Silicon Lottery Bins the CPUs, I wold be curious to see what your luck is with Amazon. I have 3 PCs that I use the IGPU for movies videos and 4k.

$299.99 for 7700k at microcenter, they have my case, the thermaltake core x9 for 149.99 in black, and the gtx 1050 is same price 120 plus 20 rebate so, same as amazon, but the case and CPU are cheaper. Ill save about $50-$55. My boy with the 5ghz 7700k bought his CPU at microcenter, I will be going to the store for local pickup, half hour drive in patterson ,nj. Got my Thermaltake 360mm rgb CPU cooler and cable mods today. All thats left is a cpu and case for my PC.

What do you mean by "Bins the CPU". Not familiar with that term, lol. Thanks bud.

Binning is term used in the Silicon industry where the Processor is tested how fast it can go within a rage and is put into a Bin according to speed, Intel, AMD, Nvidia, Silicon Lottery do that. I would buy a CPU at Microcenter you could have great luck at lower cost.

Binning is term used in the Silicon industry where the Processor is tested how fast it can go within a rage and is put into a Bin according to speed, Intel, AMD, Nvidia, Silicon Lottery do that. I would buy a CPU at Microcenter you could have great luck at lower cost.

Gotcha. Yeah I was surprised to see them so cheap. I was just about to order from Amazon and I figured I'd do one last search on Newegg, microcenter, and a few other sites and microcenter has all 3 items I need for cheaper such as the 7700k and case, and the gpu for same price. I've always wanted to go there, but never have. My buddy said it's like a Walmart but with all PC stuff and electronics. They price match too but they're very strict just so you guys know. Bestbuy price matches and all I have to do is show them the link on my phone but microcenter, you have to print out the page and show them so if you go there expecting to show them on your smartphone, you're gonna be disappointed because they want you to print it out.

Gotcha. Yeah I was surprised to see them so cheap. I was just about to order from Amazon and I figured I'd do one last search on Newegg, microcenter, and a few other sites and microcenter has all 3 items I need for cheaper such as the 7700k and case, and the gpu for same price. I've always wanted to go there, but never have. My buddy said it's like a Walmart but with all PC stuff and electronics. They price match too but they're very strict just so you guys know. Bestbuy price matches and all I have to do is show them the link on my phone but microcenter, you have to print out the page and show them so if you go there expecting to show them on your smartphone, you're gonna be disappointed because they want you to print it out.

Thanks for the information it is good to know, Micro Center is a two hour drive for me in one direction. Have you made your mind up where to buy the components?

Thanks for the information it is good to know, Micro Center is a two hour drive for me in one direction. Have you made your mind up where to buy the components?

i just got back from microcenter in patterson NJ :) got the:

-7700k $299.99
-Thermaltake Core X9 Black $149.99(This case is huge) I knew it would be big by the description/specs that it holds dual 420s up top but when i saw the size of the box, i was like wow.

-Asus GTX 1050 like i said I would to replace the Asus Strix GTX 1080 that im taking out of my current rig. $119.99 and $20 rebate so itll be $100 in the end. This one https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MQJ49NW/ref=twister_B01M16BZE4

All I have to do with my current rig is swap the GPU out, take the fans and replace them with the regular corsair non led ones, and download the driver for the 1050 and reset the windows, and my mother will have a brand new computer with an OC 6700k, then it's building time for MY rig :)

And just ordered 2 of these 24" 5050 RGB strips since my new mobo has 2 headers for RGB strips https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LZWPLY2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Some pics of the components :) I hope I got a good 7700k LOL

IMG_2154.JPG IMG_2156.JPG IMG_2157.JPG

Last edited:
Btw, that store is AWESOME!!! I was like a 5 year old at Toys R Us. They have EVERYTHING, even custom water cooling parts, and surprisingly, they have the EKWB waterblock for my Asus Strix GTX1080 GPU, just so i know for future reference. Stuff like fan splitters, fans, RGB strips or LED bars, I would order from amazon though. Cheaper and easy to refund if damaged instead of driving back to return a $12 RGB strip. Thats why I didnt buy the RGB strips from them.

Looks like a great haul, I can't wait to see what you get for a overclock.:)

Last edited:
Looks like a great haul, I can't wait to see what you get for a overclock.:)

Yeah me too. Im just gonna read the case manual and motherboard manual and i think i should be good to go on my own. From what my boy with the 5ghz 7700k, the only thing he did was enable XMP, and the only 2 settings he adjusted were the multiplier and vcore. He didnt mess with the vdroop/LLC etc. Just got the ram to automatically OC itself to 3200mhz and manually OCd the core, which is what I want to do. Ill check out the 7700k Overclocking guide.

Btw, which version of Prime95 are you guys using? I hear v26 and under are good according to this guide http://www.overclock.net/t/1621347/kaby-lake-overclocking-guide-with-statistics and it includes the link so i can download that since i was using the latest version which does get the CPU slightly hotter than normal.

Or do you guys prefer to use the Intel Extreme Overclocking utility for stress testing or XTU? I read now that prime95 puts so much stress on the CPU, more stress than the CPU will ever be put under, so idk if thats a good thing or bad...hmm...hope you guys can help me out, i trust your opinions/advice, especially you wingman, 22 years of doing this. Im sure you can OC my CPU in less than 10 minutes. LOL. Thanks everyone.

Regards,

J

Last edited:
Back