• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS ROG MAXIMUS IX HERO with 6700k overclock?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I prefer the v26.6 prime. Bumped up the core to 5ghz and left the voltage at 1.325v. Changed the setting back to manual from adaptive and it's still good after 2 hours before I left for work. The prime version 28 was giving me crazy temps and according to everyone, it's for avx apps and here's something I read,

"Since AVX is aimed at improving parallelization, and most desktop applications are not suited for it, since contrary to popular belief parallelism is not the same as multi-threading, there are not that many applications outside specific use-case scenarios that employ AVX."

So that's why I've been using v26.6. TBH, a lot of people are using earlier versions without the avx and extra 20 degrees

- - - Updated - - -

If you're testing it with a new/newer version of P95 then yes that likely the max voltage you will ever see from the system.

Gotcha, thanks. Spoke with someone from silicon lottery and told them I'm at 4.9ghz with 1.325vcore and they said I'd have no problems hitting 5ghz after delidding. But if I can hit 5ghz without it, then even better. :) and so far, I'm only at 1.325v at 5ghz so i guess I'll see how it goes once I get home from work.

And the vcore on hwinfo and asussuite shows 1.344v.

Then the answer is no. If you just happen to run a piece of software that utilizes AVX2 then you're going to get a higher V_Core and temps to go along with it. There is a way around that on that board by setting an AVX offset which can drop core speed when AVX 2 is used.

Got back from work and prime95 was still running. I re-downloaded realbench v2.43 and apparently it works now. Tried to do a 15 min run at 16gb with settings still at 5ghz and 1.325v but it failed after a couple of minutes. Up the vcore to 1.335 and ran it again at 16gb of memory for the 2 hour test and it passed. No screen blacking out or anything with the graphics driver this time. Temps show 71 degrees. Vcore showed 1.344 on HWINFO. Idk, maybe I had an older version of realbench. I'm going for the 8 hour test now.

I assume realbench tests everything including avx apps as well cause I spoke with someone at silicon lottery and they told me they use realbench to binn their CPUs. If everything works and it passes the 8 hour test, I'll save that on bios and leave it at 5ghz for now. Like you guys said, I can go up to 1.36v as I'm using the latest version of realbench, so maybe I can squeeze another 100mhz out of it without delidding. Regardless, I'm glad it passes 2 hours on realbench.

Last edited:
Yeah no problem, I'll try. On my asus board, where I have the OC profiles, on the bottom it says save/load profile from/to USB drive so I'm assuming you're talking about that, I'll save my 4.9ghz profile to it and post it for ya.

Save Bios screen F12 with a USB drive is what hope it is for Asus.

Save Bios screen F12 with a USB drive is what hope it is for Asus.

Will do. And Im an hour or so away from passing an 8 hour realbench stress test at 5GHZ!!! And only at 1.335v :) I like prime but the newer version, for me to reach 5ghz stable, id have to tweak the settings so that the voltage would be different at 5ghz than at 4.8ghz or something like that so i decided to use realbench, now that it works lol.

Will do. And Im an hour or so away from passing an 8 hour realbench stress test at 5GHZ!!! And only at 1.335v :) I like prime but the newer version, for me to reach 5ghz stable, id have to tweak the settings so that the voltage would be different at 5ghz than at 4.8ghz or something like that so i decided to use realbench, now that it works lol.

That's really nice. :thup: 400 MHz on my Skylake and less voltage. If that chip ain't golden it's some pretty darn fine silver. ;)

Thanks guys, yes, I waited til about 1am til it finished the stress test and it passed 8 hours at 16gb of memory :) I wouldn't go to sleep til it was over and I took pics of the test results which I'll post tonight. Along with pics of my PC build. I did take a while on cable management. There's very little room between the back panel and chassis and the braided cables don't help in the back.

Also, like i said above, HWinfo shows 1.360v as the max, so i do have an extra .25v, maybe i can get another 100 mhz but for now, im gonna leave it. Im very happy with 5ghz and 1.335v.

As for my 6700k rig, the guy who built it, i dont think he did a good job on the OC. Im at 1.370v for 4.5ghz when he built it the PC and sent it to me. I have a 3 year parts and labor warranty on that build so its alright. The PSU, an evga 850w B2. Not a fan of bronze certified PSUs, and the mobo went within a month, so i sent the PC back and he replaced it and upgrade the psu from 750w b2 to the 850w b2 power supply, but that's what you get when you dont build on your own :/ As far as his warranty goes, he's good for it. He had my mobo replaced, upgraded the PSU, and OC'd it again to 4.5ghz.

Anyway, i got 2 hours stable on realbench at 4.6ghz and left the voltage at 1.370v, since HWinfo shows the max is 1.376v for my 6700k, ill leave the voltage at 1.370v and see if i can get it to pass the full 8 hour realbench test at 4.6ghz. I did try 4.7ghz but it failed within a minute on realbench and I don't want to go above 1.370v, so 4.6ghz is probably the most ill get out of my 6700k.

Hey wingman, didnt you say the 7700k could go up to 1.40v on realbench? And do you know what thee max is for the 6700k? Or is the max what it says on the latest version of HWInfo, 1.360v for 7700k and 1.376v for 6700k?

I got my 6700k to 4.6ghz instead of 4.5ghz and left the voltage at 1.370v. I tried 1.365v and it wasnt enough but 1.370v passed the 2 hour realbench test. Once it passes the 8 hour test, Ill leave it at that :) My 6700k is stress testing now at home, if everything is good, realbench will be finished by the time i get home form work.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, yes, I waited til about 1am til it finished the stress test and it passed 8 hours at 16gb of memory :) I wouldn't go to sleep til it was over and I took pics of the test results which I'll post tonight. Along with pics of my PC build. I did take a while on cable management. There's very little room between the back panel and chassis and the braided cables don't help in the back.

Also, like i said above, HWinfo shows 1.360v as the max, so i do have an extra .25v, maybe i can get another 100 mhz but for now, im gonna leave it. Im very happy with 5ghz and 1.335v.

As for my 6700k rig, the guy who built it, i dont think he did a good job on the OC. Im at 1.370v for 4.5ghz when he built it the PC and sent it to me. I have a 3 year parts and labor warranty on that build so its alright. The PSU, an evga 850w B2. Not a fan of bronze certified PSUs, and the mobo went within a month, so i sent the PC back and he replaced it and upgrade the psu from 750w b2 to the 850w b2 power supply, but that's what you get when you dont build on your own :/ As far as his warranty goes, he's good for it. He had my mobo replaced, upgraded the PSU, and OC'd it again to 4.5ghz.

Anyway, i got 2 hours stable on realbench at 4.6ghz and left the voltage at 1.370v, since HWinfo shows the max is 1.376v for my 6700k, so ill leave the voltage at 1.370v and see if i can get it to pass the full 8 hour realbench test at 4.6ghz. I did try 4.7ghz but it failed within a minute on realbench and I do not want to go above 1.370v, so 4.6ghz is probably the most ill get out of my 6700k.

Hey wingman, didnt you say the 7700k could go up to 1.40v on realbench? And do you know what thee max is for the 6700k? Or is the max what it says on the latest version of HWInfo, 1.360v for 7700k and 1.376v for 6700k?

I got my 6700k to 4.6ghz instead of 4.5ghz and left the voltage at 1.370v. I tried 1.365v and it wasnt enough but 1.370v passed the 2 hour realbench test. Once it passes the 8 hour test, Ill leave it at that :) My 6700k is stress testing now at home, if everything is good, realbench will be finished by the time i get home form work.

The Maximum for CPU Vcore is 1.44v and ~90c 24/7. The i7 7700k does not need that much Vcor compared to the i7 6700k because the i7 7700k is built on 14nm+ process.

New techniques for more speed - 14nm+

Kaby Lake is able to hit higher frequencies at the same voltage levels through a reworking of the 14nm process technology gainfully employed in the Broadwell and Skylake architectures. It is reasonable to assume that foundry companies improve the efficiency of a leading-edge process over time, shifting the performance curve up for a given voltage, or, conversely, dropping the required voltage for a given level of performance. http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/cpu/99820-intel-core-i7-7700k-14nm-kaby-lake/

I see. That's why my skylake 6700k is needing 1.370v to get 600mhz and my 7700k only needs 1.335 to get 800mhz.

Tried sending pics of the realbench results, hwinfo, CPUZ, to my email and downloading to my PC but it wouldnt upload, probably because i sent it as "actual size". Ill resize and then send, and try again. Had the same problem when i uploaded the pics on my build.

Last edited:
Here's the realbench 8 hour test pass for my 7700k.

IMG_2616.JPG IMG_2617.JPG

Ive noticed that the 960 evo boots up faster than my 850 evo on my 6700k build, but not alot, maybe a couple of seconds aster. The 960 evo should have my PC up on windows within seconds i figured? Is it normal to have 70+ background processes and 80+ windows processes just after booting up? I even downloaded the samsung NVME driver just now and it restarted the PC after. Nothing noticeable as far as boot up time. Also used userbench.com to see the PC's performnce and it said my 960 evo is performing below expoectations. Any recomendations? I only have asus suite installed, itunes, battlenet, chrome, asus gpu tweak, and aura, and maybe a few more apps, nothing else.....hmmm...Also notice ONEDRIVE on my PC, which i have no idea what it is nor do i use it.

My motherboard does this check thing where it flashes through 4 lights, cpu, dram, vga, boot, and then it goes to the asus logo where i can enter bios if i want to. That takes a while. Is that pre start checkup necessary because i looked on youtube, typed in 960 evo boot up and this guys PC booted up in about 5 seconds. And he has an Asus motherboard too. Someone suggested a clean install?

My cousin with a 6700k build and a 960 evo as a boot up drive, his PC boots up very fast. When i hit the power button on my PC, it takes about 15-20 seconds give or take a few, to get to the windows screen. Is there an app or tool i can use to check for things that may be slowing my PC down? This drive was brand new and i only installed windows ONCE unlike the last one which i messed up by deleting a partition that i didnt know was part of the drive. I also donot have any start-up apps, but gpu tweak and asus suite automatically open when i start my pc.

PS, dont know why the pics are coming out sideways. They are upright when i open them in my photos.

UPDATE: After reinstalling windows and about 10 apps like chrome, itunes, adobe, gpu tweak, asus aura, tixati, microsoft office, and went on samsung website and downloaded the samsung sdriver as well as samsung magician. Ran userbench again and now its performing above expectations. Went from 201% to 249%. Boot up is a little quicker i guess, but not even close to the boot up times that i see on many youtube videos just by typing in "960 evo boot up". i also notice the graphics card, it says its performing below expectation even though its at 129% and "outstanding", its in the 63rd percentile, it was like that before the re-install, any suggestions/advice on that? But the CPU, my 7700k says its "performing WAY above expectations" LOL :D 5GHZ!

I just know something is not right, since the boot up time is about the same as my 850 evo. So if theres a setting on bios that i should enable or disable or something, please help me out. I'm not complaining, it boots up fast enpough that by the time i hit the power button and turn the monitor on and the monitor loads up, im on windows already but when restarting or when booting up when the monitor is already on, it takes alot longer than im these other guys PC who has the same drive, the 960 evo. So i was wondering if i wasted money buying the 960 evo and should of just went with a 1tb 850 evo instead for about the same price, and id only have 1 drive which is what i want. This for example is what im looking for, same drive as me, asus mobo as well and judging from the boot up logo , it looks pretty new. Maybe a year or 2 older than the hero ix

Last edited:
Wingman, i tried to post the bios pics for you from the main page on my asus bios. f12 does work. What exactly do you want to see, i can use my phoine and take a pic and post it up doing it that way as the file is a BMP file as opposed to JPEG. Not sure if that's why?

Results from userbenchmarks.com after re-installing windows and downloading about 10 apps and the gtx1080 graphics driver and package. I dont know how good this app is but it's what i used for my 6700k and my new build. Got the samsung 960 evo WAY up from 201% to 291%, but boot up time is still the same pretty much. It does the pre boot test like i said which takes about 7-10 seconds, then asus logo where i can choose to go into bio, itll stay on that page for about 5-6 seconds, if i dont go to bios, another asus logo with the swirling dots in the bottom which takes abobut 3 seconds, then im on my desktop. So half the time it takes to boot is the pre boot test i guess? I dont know how these guys get 5 second boot ups. When i had a macbook pro a long time ago, that thing booted up in less than 10 seconds. I assumed its because Mac has always used flash storage drives which im assuming is the same as an m.2/nvme drive instead of regular SSDs. That would explain why a dual core macbook @ 2.2 or 2.4ghz was faster than my quad core @ 3.0ghz. If what im saying is normal regarding the boot up process and boot up time, then it's fine, but if that sounds like it's taking more time than it should to boot up, then lmk. Or should i contact samsung?

Btw, I have the drive under the GPU as theres 2 M.2 slots on the hero IX mobo. So it's the m.2_2 drive, the m.2_1 drive is empty.

IMG_2630.JPG FullSizeRender.jpg FullSizeRender (1).jpg

Heres a link to my results if you want to check it out in more details http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/3535106

Im gonna OC my GTX1080. Aparently, it can hit 2+ghz. My GPU at stock speeds is in the 1700s, OC mode hits 1900s. So OCing it will have my GPU running in the 1900s to 2ghz at all times instead of 1700s, basically making it the OC version, I'm guessing, lol. So I'll see if OCing the GPU will get me a higher score/benchmark. I doubt I will see noticeable differences besides in benchmark points, but ill give it a shot. I always thought there wasnt much room for OCing my GPU since it's not the OC version, but i found out that the OC version is the same. It juist comes from the factory overclocked already. Ill be uising heaven benchmark for stress testing the gpu and using this Asus' guide, https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?87087-Overclocking-the-Strix-GTX-1080.

Last edited:
Wingman, i tried to post the bios pics for you from the main page on my asus bios. f12 does work. What exactly do you want to see, i can use my phoine and take a pic and post it up doing it that way as the file is a BMP file as opposed to JPEG. Not sure if that's why?

You can load the Bios BMP into windows 10 paint then save the file to JPEG. I want to see the Adaptive Bios page with the voltage figure you plugged in before, however you don't have to save the settings. It will help me explain those settings and an how to set them faster for other folks I help with new Asus Z270 motherboards.:)

Looks like some good performance improvements.

Last edited:
You can load the Bios BMP into windows 10 paint then save the file to JPEG. I want to see the Adaptive Bios page with the voltage figure you plugged in before, however you don't have to save the settings. It will help me explain those settings and an how to set them faster for other folks I help with new Asus Z270 motherboards.:)

Looks like some good performance improvements.

No problem, ill have em up for you shortly.

Here's the pic you requested, I think...Lmk if thaat's what you needed bud.
IMG_2633.JPG

Even though i had no problems on adaptive mode at the same voltage i used on manual mode, 1.335v, I just kept my PC on "manual" mode. Just personal preference.

Last edited:
BTW, just applied took the thermal paste off my cpu and cpu cooler block and applied the "Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut" on. Wanted to see if it made a difference. I ran Realbench real quick just to see what the max temp would hit on HWInfo, and it was 69 degrees celcius. As you can see from the pic I posted above, the one of HWInfo and showing that it passed 8 hours of realbench, the temp was at 72 degrees, so this paste gave me a 3 degree celcius drop in cpu temp. Not bad for 12 bucks for the 1 gram syringe-looking applicator.

Back