• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking an unlocked MSI 6950

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tikithorsen

Hello, hopefully someone can help me with my issue;

After flashing and unlocking my MSI R6950 Twin Frozr III Power Edition/OC successfully I launch MSI Afterburner, unlock the voltage control as "extended MSI" set the "graphics processor type" to 1150mv, power Limit is at +20, configure the clocks to what a 6970 would be; 880/1375 and is stable while gaming and on Heaven Benchmark.

Now the problem is that any core clock higher then 880MHz becomes unstable (video drivers resets/game locks up). So I do the logical thing and raise the core voltage to 1.200v and set the core clock to 900MHz and is still unstable.
I was about to give up hope to overclocking the GPU when by checking with AIDA64/HWMONITOR/HWINFO/OHM notice that the core voltage on load NEVER changes from 1.150v even when is set to 1.300v on Afterburner and it the voltage monitor in AF is does show 1.300v.

Things I have tried:
Tried overclocking with the stock BIOS and still the same problem.
Changed the BIOS switch of the GPU and I still the same problem.
Run AMD Uninstaller, then DDU and do a clean install of all drivers and I still the same problem.
Uninstall and Reinstall MSI Afterburner and changing around every single option in AF, nothing works. Install a old version of AF (2.3.0) and I still the same problem.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
I had to do the following with my AMD cards using AB. I had thought it was no longer necessary with newer versions, but it doesn't hurt to check.

To enable the unofficial overclocking in this version it is necessary to edit the MSIAfterburner.cfg file by opening it with Notepad, located in the installation directory of AfterBurner (typically Program Files (x86) MSI Afterburner):

You need to alter the following:
Seek UnofficialOverclockingEULA field and add following text:
I confirm that I am aware of unofficial overclocking limitations and fully understand that MSI will not provide me any support on it
Set UnofficialOverclockingMode to 1 to keep PowerPlay active (may not work on old ASICs), 2 to traditionally disable PowerPlay or to 0 to temporary disable unofficial overclocking path. You may have to restart your computer for the changes to take effect.

There's a reason why a 6950 isn't a 6970. I'd expect a 6950 unlocked to 6970 has a good chance not to overclock as well as a true 6970.

I had to do the following with my AMD cards using AB. I had thought it was no longer necessary with newer versions, but it doesn't hurt to check.

To enable the unofficial overclocking in this version it is necessary to edit the MSIAfterburner.cfg file by opening it with Notepad, located in the installation directory of AfterBurner (typically Program Files (x86) MSI Afterburner):

You need to alter the following:
Seek UnofficialOverclockingEULA field and add following text:
I confirm that I am aware of unofficial overclocking limitations and fully understand that MSI will not provide me any support on it
Set UnofficialOverclockingMode to 1 to keep PowerPlay active (may not work on old ASICs), 2 to traditionally disable PowerPlay or to 0 to temporary disable unofficial overclocking path. You may have to restart your computer for the changes to take effect.

I can enable the extra headroom on the clocks, my problem is that I can't modify the voltage that AB shows as unlocked, is stuck at 1.150v.

- - - Updated - - -

There's a reason why a 6950 isn't a 6970. I'd expect a 6950 unlocked to 6970 has a good chance not to overclock as well as a true 6970.

I am not complaining about that, my problem is that I can't overclock at all with the stock BIOS (not unlocked) past 900 because I can't raise the voltage.
And with the unlocked shaders BIOS I can't get past 880 and can't raise the core voltage.

I believe reason was stock availability: I got 2 6950 that I unlocked and that oC'ed to 6970 level.

Same went with 290's (ref): got t2 of them and both unlocked to 290x' with same level of overclock.

Try Sapphire Trixx...

Last edited by a moderator:
It's really going to depend. They aren't all 6970 duds, true... but many are. Note however he is overclocking PAST 6970 speeds and running into trouble. There are also other variables involved in bining.. ;)

It's really going to depend. They aren't all 6970 duds, true... but many are. Note however he is overclocking PAST 6970 speeds and running into trouble. There are also other variables involved in bining.. ;)

THat makes sense: the TFIII is not ref design. I had one that I sent back as it did not unlock (got a ref design instead).

The EULA I referenced unlocked voltage control. That was the reason for it.

I just tried that and it made no difference then when I do it via the option in AF. I still can increase the voltage :(.

- - - Updated - - -

I believe reason was stock availability: I got 2 6950 that I unlocked and that oC'ed to 6970 level.

Same went with 290's (ref): got t2 of them and both unlocked to 290x' with same level of overclock.

Try Sapphire Trixx...

I will try Trixx and report back. Thanks.

Installed the latest Sapphire TRIXX (6.3.0) and the voltage control is completely locked, can't increase nor decrease.

It was a long shot. It seems more and more AMD cards are requiring people to shop around for OC software. Perhaps going to an earlier Catalyst Suite would allow it? I'm not entirely sure how they lock it down, if it's in the hardware or the drivers/Catalyst.

Download an old version of MSI AB (could not say which... Like 4/5 years old) and use the ALaric tweak (unofficial blah blah blah).

That should do the trick.

Okay I will get an older version of AF and I will also install an old version of the drivers, the 14.12 specifically.
I will report back with (hopefully positive) results. Thanks!

Okay, I'm running AF 2.3.0 and the 14.12 drivers and is the same issue.
Here is the example:
volts.jpg
Also, increasing the AUX voltage to +20mV makes no difference in my attempt to overclock it.

Last edited:
What does GPU-z sensor shows?

It seems that the GPU core voltage is set on 1350mV.

If so, it is just that your GPU won't make more than 880... Which is not such a bad thing, considering you bough ta 6950 and have a 68970 running!

Edit: you have to check GPU-z readings with GPU on load.

What does GPU-z sensor shows?

It seems that the GPU core voltage is set on 1350mV.

If so, it is just that your GPU won't make more than 880... Which is not such a bad thing, considering you bough ta 6950 and have a 68970 running!

Edit: you have to check GPU-z readings with GPU on load.

With AB not running (and voltages not unlocked) I get this readings from GPU-Z:
mge.png

And with AB running (and unlocked voltage) i get this readings:
wtn.png

Voltage reading in GPU-Z NEVER CHANGES from either 1.200v or -0.50v. Either in idle or load, makes no difference.

The capture I posted on my previous post (with Warframe running in the background) proves what I've been saying; that even though the voltage is set to whatever on AF in reality it remains at 1.150v.

Last edited:
Back