• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Not getting full internet speed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rydis

So we have a 200 Mbps connection. We use to get anywhere between 180-250 Mbps. Recently though my PC has only been getting 30 Mbps. So I called out the cable company, gave us a new modem. He tested on his device, 230 Mbps. Back to my PC..only getting ~30 Mbps. He said tested on his device, thats as far as he goes, the wire is doing 230 Mbps to his device. Must be my PC.

So I buy a network card (PCI..and only have PCIE...so)I turned on my PS4...I max ~30 Mbps. Connected it to a laptop (all wired btw) Max ~30 Mbps.

What can cause every device in my house to be limited to ~30 Mbps connection..when (on these exact same cables and connection) 230 for the cable company? Or was he just lying?

I dont know what to do from here.

Are you possibly confusing Mbit/s with Mbyte/s. 230Mbit/s is about 29Mbyte/s.

Do you get the same results from a different test site or server?

Have you tried transferring files between the computers on the network to see what transfer rate you get?

Do you get the same results from a different test site or server?

Have you tried transferring files between the computers on the network to see what transfer rate you get?

mostly. I have gone as high as 80, and as low as 17 across multiple tests from different sites.

Laptop WIfi doesn't work, so I only use it when I need to, and remove the cable from this PC. Can't exchange between Ps4 and PC..so. Can't test that.

You should be able to stream from your PC to the PS4. That isn't going to test your modem or isp at all, but I think what they're getting at is it will test your network to see if the bottleneck is there.
What model modem/router are you using? And it sounds like you're using wired connections, correct?

+1 @ Jeff G

Do you have an AIO modem/router/AP? If you have a separate router/switch/AP between your modem and your equipment, try running directly from the modem and see if your speed improves. If it does you know that your secondary equipment needs to be checked.

You should be able to stream from your PC to the PS4. That isn't going to test your modem or isp at all, but I think what they're getting at is it will test your network to see if the bottleneck is there.
What model modem/router are you using? And it sounds like you're using wired connections, correct?

Yes Wired, I downloaded Universal Media player..but I can't seem to find out how quick data is moving. Its a Arris TG1862

+1 @ Jeff G

Do you have an AIO modem/router/AP? If you have a separate router/switch/AP between your modem and your equipment, try running directly from the modem and see if your speed improves. If it does you know that your secondary equipment needs to be checked.

Modem and Router in one. From Cable wire, to modem to my PC.

Do you own the mode/router (industry term is "residential gateway") or are you renting it from the ISP?

What you describe can happen with a "pushed" firmware upgrade that is buggy or doesn't work well with the gateway device. I would call the ISP and ask them to "reset" the device from their end.

I would call the ISP and ask them to "reset" the device from their end.

OP stated that the ISP claims no issue on their side of the line and has replaced the modem once already. It might be worth a shot to call them anyway, but i think they may stick to their story and refuse to help.

It will take me some time to find but i was reading a thread here that detailed how to find out the speed at each "hop" (not sure if Im using that correctly) to prove that it was an ISP issue. It was an enterprise network being discussed in that thread though and I do not know if that will impact the result

You say the wifi on the laptop is dea but doesn't your laptop have an ethernet port? Connect it with an ethernet cable to the gateway device and then stream between the laptop and the pc over the network to test if there is a bottleneck in the network itself.

Start with the basics. Have a direct connection from your modem to the laptop via ethernet. Make sure you disable the wireless on your laptop. Reboot the modem, and then run your speedtest. I'm willing to bet that when you go to http://www.speedtest.net/ that your speed is normal.

You say the wifi on the laptop is dea but doesn't your laptop have an ethernet port? Connect it with an ethernet cable to the gateway device and then stream between the laptop and the pc over the network to test if there is a bottleneck in the network itself.

I get full speed

Start with the basics. Have a direct connection from your modem to the laptop via ethernet. Make sure you disable the wireless on your laptop. Reboot the modem, and then run your speedtest. I'm willing to bet that when you go to http://www.speedtest.net/ that your speed is normal.

I already stated all these connections were 100% wired and even the wifi on the laptop didn't work at all.

Ill try my hand at this; given my background and what I do for a living this is my bread and butter.

I would ask a couple questions up front. You say that you are cabled and not wireless, how exactly? Are you using POE injection, standard ethernet 5,5E,6? Or are you using any form of powerline or HPNE adapter? Second how long are these cables? Are they ones you terminated yourself or purchased? If these cables are run through your sheetrock where are they going? Are they in shielded conduit or running parallel/near against any high power sources? Lastly how long are said cables?

Here is what I would try first and foremost in order:

#1 Get a cellphone and run the same speed test wirelessly
-If it fails here assuming you have half-link wireless AC (iphone 5S and up) then it's the ISP
-If it is the ISP then I'd look at what modem you are using, you need a DOCSIS 3.1 equipment to run fast-ethernet or higher. I know the box says otherwise but you need more bonding points to run it effectively with how their network is provisioned. I ran into the same exact issue myself and called (Comcast) to verify line stats and crossreferenced in the modem. They said it was the modem, I agreed and purchased a 3.1 Netgear rather than the standard 3.0; haven't had issues since now that I have more channels to multiplex from.

#2 If it passes with a cellphone run a temporary cable to the PC
- if it passes on your laptop the cables are either bad, too long or are near a high power source and is causing interference or terminated improperly

#3 if it fails with the temporary cable
-PC problem, likely excessive sessions caused by a trojan or botnet or other streaming service running in the background without your knowledge.

EDIT: Reread your post, what exactly are you trying to accomplish?

PS4 to PC stream? PSnow? PSN does have a limit and does not record accurate speeds. I know this because I had FTTP at the old place we were renting and was seeing similar speeds despite being 1gbit up/down and wired CAT6E cables I personally terminated.

Last edited:
Ill try my hand at this; given my background and what I do for a living this is my bread and butter.

I would ask a couple questions up front. You say that you are cabled and not wireless, how exactly? Are you using POE injection, standard ethernet 5,5E,6? Or are you using any form of powerline or HPNE adapter? Second how long are these cables? Are they ones you terminated yourself or purchased? If these cables are run through your sheetrock where are they going? Are they in shielded conduit or running parallel/near against any high power sources? Lastly how long are said cables?

Here is what I would try first and foremost in order:

#1 Get a cellphone and run the same speed test wirelessly
-If it fails here assuming you have half-link wireless AC (iphone 5S and up) then it's the ISP
-If it is the ISP then I'd look at what modem you are using, you need a DOCSIS 3.1 equipment to run fast-ethernet or higher. I know the box says otherwise but you need more bonding points to run it effectively with how their network is provisioned. I ran into the same exact issue myself and called (Comcast) to verify line stats and crossreferenced in the modem. They said it was the modem, I agreed and purchased a 3.1 Netgear rather than the standard 3.0; haven't had issues since now that I have more channels to multiplex from.

#2 If it passes with a cellphone run a temporary cable to the PC
- if it passes on your laptop the cables are either bad, too long or are near a high power source and is causing interference or terminated improperly

#3 if it fails with the temporary cable
-PC problem, likely excessive sessions caused by a trojan or botnet or other streaming service running in the background without your knowledge.

EDIT: Reread your post, what exactly are you trying to accomplish?

PS4 to PC stream? PSnow? PSN does have a limit and does not record accurate speeds. I know this because I had FTTP at the old place we were renting and was seeing similar speeds despite being 1gbit up/down and wired CAT6E cables I personally terminated.

Its a cat6 cable. Dont know what POE INjection is. Nada on the adaptors. Not sure how long it is, but it was set up by the cable company, its on its own dedicated line (not split or anything) and not near any powerlines. They said we had a cable leak (whatever that is) and shut us off for a few days, but came out and said they fixed it.

Cellphone tests at 17 Mb/11 Mb on a galaxy s7 edge.

Modem is an Arris TG1682.

I was getting the full speed for well over a year. This is just a new finding I came across when i noticed steam was downloading very slow a lot.

So what im trying to accomplish is why every device in the home can no longer get even half the speed it used to (what we are still paying for. 200 Mbps/20). Why when the cable guy was out, was able to get the full speed on his portable device, however I still can no longer get it on my PC, Laptop, PS4 (PS4 is capped, but I was always able to get around 50 before).

So we are paying for 200 Mbps, no device in the home can get this speed. We use to be able to get this speed, then just one day it stopped. Cable company came out, changed modem, got full speed on his device, yet still can not on any device in the house.

Its a cat6 cable. Dont know what POE INjection is.
POE is Power-Over-Ethernet, it electrifies your network cables so that you dont have to run a seperate power cable to run routers, VERY handy but if you plug a normal NIC into one you'll either blow it out or worse.

Nada on the adaptors. Not sure how long it is, but it was set up by the cable company,
Ill assume they didn't make it took long

its on its own dedicated line (not split or anything) and not near any powerlines.
Cool that rules out wiring

They said we had a cable leak (whatever that is) and shut us off for a few days, but came out and said they fixed it.
FUN FACT TIME! Did you know underground cables, F1, F2 or major trunks are actually pressurized with an air pump at the head end? That's there to keep water from entering the cable and to isolate where the cable break is at by floating the pressure in the line at each junction or crossbox.

Cellphone tests at 17 Mb/11 Mb on a galaxy s7 edge.
Ok so it's definitely not your cabling or equipment then

Modem is an Arris TG1682.

I was getting the full speed for well over a year. This is just a new finding I came across when i noticed steam was downloading very slow a lot.

So what im trying to accomplish is why every device in the home can no longer get even half the speed it used to (what we are still paying for. 200 Mbps/20). Why when the cable guy was out, was able to get the full speed on his portable device, however I still can no longer get it on my PC, Laptop, PS4 (PS4 is capped, but I was always able to get around 50 before).

So we are paying for 200 Mbps, no device in the home can get this speed. We use to be able to get this speed, then just one day it stopped. Cable company came out, changed modem, got full speed on his device, yet still can not on any device in the house.

My guess is that the modem bit the dust OR they're doing network shinnigans that's causing the issue. Granted I'm a DSL/Fiber guy but essentially the way cable works is they pair bond via multiplexing using software? and not hardware like we do. So when you run DOCSIS 3.0 it will bond over I believe 8 pairs or channels. So if you are getting 200MBS connection it will be in multiples of 8 which is why you get either higher or lower speeds.

Now if they're transitioning to DOCSIS 3.1 like Comcast is over here they are going to bond you on I THINK 16 channels which could massively jack with your speeds. So try getting a 3.1 modem and see what happens before you call back and complain

I'd link other options but this is literarlly the only one that exists:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/netgear...3-1-cable-modem-black/5712202.p?skuId=5712202

I just bought one and this solved a similar issue for me after prodding Comcast and finding out that yes they had moved to 3.1 for all tiers above 100mbps

POE is Power-Over-Ethernet, it electrifies your network cables so that you dont have to run a seperate power cable to run routers, VERY handy but if you plug a normal NIC into one you'll either blow it out or worse.

Ill assume they didn't make it took long

Cool that rules out wiring

FUN FACT TIME! Did you know underground cables, F1, F2 or major trunks are actually pressurized with an air pump at the head end? That's there to keep water from entering the cable and to isolate where the cable break is at by floating the pressure in the line at each junction or crossbox.

Ok so it's definitely not your cabling or equipment then

My guess is that the modem bit the dust OR they're doing network shinnigans that's causing the issue. Granted I'm a DSL/Fiber guy but essentially the way cable works is they pair bond via multiplexing using software? and not hardware like we do. So when you run DOCSIS 3.0 it will bond over I believe 8 pairs or channels. So if you are getting 200MBS connection it will be in multiples of 8 which is why you get either higher or lower speeds.

Now if they're transitioning to DOCSIS 3.1 like Comcast is over here they are going to bond you on I THINK 16 channels which could massively jack with your speeds. So try getting a 3.1 modem and see what happens before you call back and complain

I'd link other options but this is literarlly the only one that exists:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/netgear...3-1-cable-modem-black/5712202.p?skuId=5712202

I just bought one and this solved a similar issue for me after prodding Comcast and finding out that yes they had moved to 3.1 for all tiers above 100mbps

Its a new modem they gave us when they came out. We had this issue with the older modem (also arris, but different model) and so they gave us this modem when they came out last. Mean, that doesn't mean the modem isn't refurbished or came bad, just stating this.

I had also purchased this modem (since they couldn't come out for a few days) https://www.netgear.com/home/produc...ms-routers/C6300.aspx?cid=wmt_netgear_organic and had the same issue as well.

I want to say its all the cable company, but the fact they get full speed on their device really has me confused.

Thinking maybe its just better to drop down to a 100 Mb connection and just pay less. Only issue really having is paying so much..and not actually getting what we pay for.

Its a new modem they gave us when they came out. We had this issue with the older modem (also arris, but different model) and so they gave us this modem when they came out last. Mean, that doesn't mean the modem isn't refurbished or came bad, just stating this.

I had also purchased this modem (since they couldn't come out for a few days) https://www.netgear.com/home/produc...ms-routers/C6300.aspx?cid=wmt_netgear_organic and had the same issue as well.

I want to say its all the cable company, but the fact they get full speed on their device really has me confused.

Thinking maybe its just better to drop down to a 100 Mb connection and just pay less. Only issue really having is paying so much..and not actually getting what we pay for.

It isn't so much the equipment but how it's provisioned; most likely the offshore rep was spit-balling about where the cutoff was. I'm pulling this info from the wiki:

DOCSIS 1.0
Released in March 1997, DOCSIS 1.0 included functional elements from preceding proprietary cable modems.[4]
DOCSIS 1.1
Released in April 1999, DOCSIS 1.1 standardized quality of service (QoS) mechanisms that were outlined in DOCSIS 1.0.[5]
DOCSIS 2.0
Released in December 2001, DOCSIS 2.0 enhanced upstream data rates in response to increased demand for symmetric services such as IP telephony.
DOCSIS 3.0
Released in August 2006, DOCSIS 3.0 significantly increased data rates (this time both upstream and downstream) and introduced support for Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6).
DOCSIS 3.1
First released in October 2013, and updated several times since, the DOCSIS 3.1 suite of specifications support capacities of at least 10 Gbit/s downstream and 1 Gbit/s upstream using 4096 QAM. The new specs do away with 6 MHz and 8 MHz wide channel spacing and instead use narrower (20 kHz to 50 kHz wide) orthogonal frequency-division multiplexing (OFDM) subcarriers; these can be bonded inside a block spectrum that could end up being about 200 MHz wide.[6] DOCSIS 3.1 technology also includes some new energy management features that will help the cable industry reduce its energy usage, and the DOCSIS-PIE[7] algorithm to reduce bufferbloat.[8] In the United States, broadband provider Comcast announced in February 2016 that several cities within its footprint will have DOCSIS 3.1 availability before the end of the year.[9]

Emphasis mine; this is why when Comcast said all tiers above 100mbps require 3.1 modems I didn't balk at the idea. There is physically only ONE 3.1 modem and it's the one I linked above from bestbuy.com so I can say for a fact you've never tried one. If that doesn't work it's time to chew out your ISP.

EDIT:
If you're renting a modem from Comcast ask specifically for their 3.1 RG or residential gateway I'm sure they have one that is Comcast specific

EDIT2:
Looks like the RG is called the "Comcast XB6" ?

Last edited:
Rydis, did you get the important part of what Sentential said? If your modem is DOCIS is 3.0 and not 3.1 then that may be what's causing your problem because of possible recent Comcast infrastructure upgrades. I know the Netgear you bought is only 3.0. I don't know about the one Comcast supplied. Maybe you need to check that out.

I also wonder if some WIFI settings need to be tweaked. We do know the problem isn't with the service to your house as in post #13 you say when you connect the laptop via wired it gets full speed.

Back