• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Not getting full internet speed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Rydis, did you get the important part of what Sentential said? If your modem is DOCIS is 3.0 and not 3.1 then that may be what's causing your problem because of possible recent Comcast infrastructure upgrades. I know the Netgear you bought is only 3.0. I don't know about the one Comcast supplied. Maybe you need to check that out.

I also wonder if some WIFI settings need to be tweaked. We do know the problem isn't with the service to your house as in post #13 you say when you connect the laptop via wired it gets full speed.

I did, but this issue presented itself out of nowhere. It wasn't something that was always present. But ill see if I can get cable company to provide a 3.1

Also, no I said connected laptop to wired gives the same speed as my PC. It caps ~30 Mbps. Nothing in my house gets full speed. I got full speed when I was transferring between PC and Laptop. The only time we got full speed was when tech was out and used his portable device. To which he said Spectrum doesn't allow him to do anything else. Get got full speed on his device, and thats where their support ends.

I did, but this issue presented itself out of nowhere. It wasn't something that was always present. But ill see if I can get cable company to provide a 3.1

Also, no I said connected laptop to wired gives the same speed as my PC. It caps ~30 Mbps. Nothing in my house gets full speed. I got full speed when I was transferring between PC and Laptop. The only time we got full speed was when tech was out and used his portable device. To which he said Spectrum doesn't allow him to do anything else. Get got full speed on his device, and thats where their support ends.

Which is what makes be believe its a CPE issue (customer provided equipment) There is a fundamental difference between 3.1 and 3.0 and that could easily account for the issue you are having. The change you saw could be any number of things including the move to 3.1 and reallocating resources to a cable issue that's weather related to a great many things.

Which is what makes be believe its a CPE issue (customer provided equipment) There is a fundamental difference between 3.1 and 3.0 and that could easily account for the issue you are having. The change you saw could be any number of things including the move to 3.1 and reallocating resources to a cable issue that's weather related to a great many things.

I spoke with them and they are saying they dont currently use 3.1 in our area and dont have any devices to give that even support it.

Im also degrading..im down to 15 Mbps Download/ .2 upload...yes .2

So my devices are getting an orange color on the back of the modem (would be green) which they say is limiting me to 100 Mbps.

My onboard lan is a Killer 2200, 10/100/1000, and its set up as 100 Mbps Full Duplex (and auto negotiate). There isn't a option to go higher

Last edited:
So my devices are getting an orange color on the back of the modem (would be green) which they say is limiting me to 100 Mbps.

My onboard lan is a Killer 2200, 10/100/1000, and its set up as 100 Mbps Full Duplex (and auto negotiate). There isn't a option to go higher

So it's configured 100 Mbps Full duplex or it's auto-negotiating 100Mbps? I skimmed through the thread, but have you changed the cable you are testing on?

So it's configured 100 Mbps Full duplex or it's auto-negotiating 100Mbps? I skimmed through the thread, but have you changed the cable you are testing on?

This! Cat5 won't work at gigabit speeds, cat5e or Cat6 is required, so check the cable and try another cable if you have one. All 4 pairs are used for gigabite.

Agreed with you guys, I thought it had been checked/verified, but OP, have you tried a new cable?

Its on auto negotiate. Was saying ive tried all the options.

Agreed with you guys, I thought it had been checked/verified, but OP, have you tried a new cable?

yeah its a cat6 cable. Its the same cable the provider uses to test his own speeds. All 4 slots were tested on. His device is the only one that turns green. I have also tried various cables yes.

I spoke with them and they are saying they dont currently use 3.1 in our area and dont have any devices to give that even support it.

Im also degrading..im down to 15 Mbps Download/ .2 upload...yes .2

Well I've said my peace about what I feel the issue is (CPE) so if you're convinced it's not use the charts on DSL reports and look at the following:
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/5862

If your numbers are good then again; replace your modem. As for the issue you're seeing with your NIC if it wont go above 100mbps either your modem or cable doesn't support 1gbit and as stated before it is either your equipment, cables or theirs. Also when you say "his device" what exactly was he testing on? A tablet? a laptop?

You seem to be convinced a specific problem is the cause, what is that exactly? You're not going to solve the problem unless you are willing to isolate equipment. Everything you've stated points to it being either a network or modem issue, if you say the tech for the ISP is getting the correct speed that only leaves your equipment.

Last edited:
Well I've said my peace about what I feel the issue is (CPE) so if you're convinced it's not use the charts on DSL reports and look at the following:
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/5862

If your numbers are good then again; replace your modem. As for the issue you're seeing with your NIC if it wont go above 100mbps either your modem or cable doesn't support 1gbit and as stated before it is either your equipment, cables or theirs. Also when you say "his device" what exactly was he testing on? A tablet? a laptop?

You seem to be convinced a specific problem is the cause, what is that exactly? You're not going to solve the problem unless you are willing to isolate equipment. Everything you've stated points to it being either a network or modem issue, if you say the tech for the ISP is getting the correct speed that only leaves your equipment.

Its the 3rd modem they have replaced in the past month. On all calls they came out and supplied a new modem, I specifcally asked if they had upgraded to 3.1 in our area and could provide a 3.1 modem, however they stated they have not and carry no 3.1 modems.

The modem does support 1gb and does my PC (I used to get these speeds). His device is something like a tablet, but has a socket for a lan cable to connect to. He just connects the same wire thats connected to my PC into his device, he gets it to turn green, tests the connection and tests 240 Mbps/5-6 Mbps upload.

Plug this same wire into ANY device in my household Ps4, Laptop, PC (which was fine until the start of the year) and all them them drop to 10-15 Mbps, 500 Kbps upload. No settings changed on my PC at all. So I tried various settings (I made sure the killer bandwidth control was not selected in adapter properties, and ive tried both 100Mbps Full Duplex and Auto-negotiate with no effect at all.

His cellphone is getting 200 Mbps over wifi over 5g, while my tablet and cellphone (Galaxy S7 Edge, Samsung Tab3 and Ipadmini 2) all are capped at 10-15 Mbps/ 500 Kbps.

So the issue isn't limited to just my PC, but every device in my house, but this isn't replicated on the techs equipment.

Im not saying its anything specific, i have absolutely no idea what it is, which is why im asking here :). I am only stating what has been tested and what has been tried.

So if its on my equipment, its the same issue that's affecting every single device in my household the same way, so I need to figure out what can do that. If it a network issue, or the ISP issue, why doesn't it affect their equipment?

Im just trying to figure out what I can do. The only other providers in my area are dish/satellite providers and I want to avoid that at all costs.

Last edited:
Its the 3rd modem they have replaced in the past month. On all calls they came out and supplied a new modem, I specifcally asked if they had upgraded to 3.1 in our area and could provide a 3.1 modem, however they stated they have not and carry no 3.1 modems.

The modem does support 1gb and does my PC (I used to get these speeds). His device is something like a tablet, but has a socket for a lan cable to connect to. He just connects the same wire thats connected to my PC into his device, he gets it to turn green, tests the connection and tests 240 Mbps/5-6 Mbps upload.

Plug this same wire into ANY device in my household Ps4, Laptop, PC (which was fine until the start of the year) and all them them drop to 10-15 Mbps, 500 Kbps upload. No settings changed on my PC at all. So I tried various settings (I made sure the killer bandwidth control was not selected in adapter properties, and ive tried both 100Mbps Full Duplex and Auto-negotiate with no effect at all.

His cellphone is getting 200 Mbps over wifi over 5g, while my tablet and cellphone (Galaxy S7 Edge, Samsung Tab3 and Ipadmini 2) all are capped at 10-15 Mbps/ 500 Kbps.

So the issue isn't limited to just my PC, but every device in my house, but this isn't replicated on the techs equipment.

Im not saying its anything specific, i have absolutely no idea what it is, which is why im asking here :). I am only stating what has been tested and what has been tried.

So if its on my equipment, its the same issue that's affecting every single device in my household the same way, so I need to figure out what can do that. If it a network issue, or the ISP issue, why doesn't it affect their equipment?

Im just trying to figure out what I can do. The only other providers in my area are dish/satellite providers and I want to avoid that at all costs.

Just a shot in the dark but going off of what was said you're making it sound like some kind of malware or QoS is causing it. If he's using a tablet like you said and his phone and all of your devices are powered when this is occuring then it almost seems like some Quality of Service program is throttling them, maybe at the router level? I'm not entirely sure. But what you are describing is a software issue or malware; have you tried using a single PC to modem bypassing any router in safemode to isolate for software?

Hardware is very much a yes / no situation and using a phone should isolate for almost all software unless you're talking about router QoS software that uses a MAC address. That would be one situation where a new MAC addressed device would receive full speed but the other existing devices wouldn't

Just a shot in the dark but going off of what was said you're making it sound like some kind of malware or QoS is causing it. If he's using a tablet like you said and his phone and all of your devices are powered when this is occuring then it almost seems like some Quality of Service program is throttling them, maybe at the router level? I'm not entirely sure. But what you are describing is a software issue or malware; have you tried using a single PC to modem bypassing any router in safemode to isolate for software?

Hardware is very much a yes / no situation and using a phone should isolate for almost all software unless you're talking about router QoS software that uses a MAC address. That would be one situation where a new MAC addressed device would receive full speed but the other existing devices wouldn't

Well, ive ran maleware bytes and norton with no findings and AVG on the phone/tablet. Safe mode had no effect.

There is no router between PCs and Modem, its just a modem/router combo supplied by ISP.

Well, ive ran maleware bytes and norton with no findings and AVG on the phone/tablet. Safe mode had no effect.

There is no router between PCs and Modem, its just a modem/router combo supplied by ISP.

If you're not willing to try a 3.1 modem or a different modem for testing purposes then you're going to have to test each individual PC to isolate for a device issue. So I'd start by changing the network name to something different to force all wireless clients to disconnect and hard wire them one at a time directly to the unit. Personally I would have bought a 3.1 modem first but you're at a point where it's one of the two. The final distant third option is some kind of interference like a microwave or high voltage interference like a HAM radio etc.

If you're not willing to try a 3.1 modem or a different modem for testing purposes then you're going to have to test each individual PC to isolate for a device issue. So I'd start by changing the network name to something different to force all wireless clients to disconnect and hard wire them one at a time directly to the unit. Personally I would have bought a 3.1 modem first but you're at a point where it's one of the two. The final distant third option is some kind of interference like a microwave or high voltage interference like a HAM radio etc.

Only unwilling in the essence that ill have to go buy one myself, then call them to add my modem ect. They wont supply a 3.1 modem. Then have a modem sitting around I bought for nothing if wasn't the issue ( I still have the netgear one walmart would not take back that I paid 200 for.)

I do appreciate all the help im getting though, that might be the route ill have to take, just trying to do everything I can before that option.

Who is your ISP? Have you looked on dslreports.com to see if there is a dedicated forum for your ISP there? Occasionally different ISPs will have official support people there (mine does - WOW) that you can PM and they can look at things from a higher level than a tech can.

Who is your ISP? Have you looked on dslreports.com to see if there is a dedicated forum for your ISP there? Occasionally different ISPs will have official support people there (mine does - WOW) that you can PM and they can look at things from a higher level than a tech can.

spectrum. They are there. ill check in.

Back