• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Would it be worth async crossfire with Vega series card and RX480?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Suppressor1137

There are three configuration choices to choose from:

1 Vega, Sell RX480(money back) Eventual second vega if necessary down the road(price drops)

1 Vega(Primary), RX480(secondary)

2 RX480

Not sure how effective crossgen crossfire would work vs Synced.

None of the above? Unless you are running 4k or a high Hz 2560x1440 monitor, I would ever suggest multiple gpus. It's just not worth it to me.. from paying double and NEVER getting double peeformamce, to beat and noise. That isn't even considering CFX support in games...

I'd get a 1070 or wait for Vega for 1080p.

What resolution is (or will be) your display? Two 480s will put performance between a GTX 1070 and GTX 1080, still not enough for 4k, not all games will use Xfire, twice the heat, etc.. If you're using 1440p or above, and sticking with AMD, I would wait for Vega and see what they have. If you aren't necessarily committed to Team Red a 1070 to 1440p or a 1080 above that would be your best bet currently. If you'll be gaming at 1080p the 480 is a solid performer and likely to see further improvements with driver releases. Anything over a GTX 1070 for 1080p is overkill. Not that overkill is a bad thing. :)

edit: ED beat me to it. I type slow. LOL

I just bought my RX480 at the beginning of this month; I'm completely satisfied with my purchase.

I was trying to think ahead of what would be the best performance boost upgrade in the future, as games get increasingly more demanding of the gpu. I plan to be staying 1080p(At least until the cost for higher res panels goes down more, two 1080's to run 4k is obscenely expensive.), but eventually plan to get a higher refresh rate monitor set that doesn't lock me at 60fps.

I bought the RX480 over the GTX 1060 because of the higher vram/performance per dollar, and to gain access to crossfire specifically to have that upgrade path for two gpu's.

Also, on the AMD/Nvidia choices, I'd be waiting to see what Volta has to offer for performance before I buy anything. So 2018 is the likely time of upgrade.

I understand that the 1070 is superior to the RX480; But the major limiting factor was and still is the price. Sadly Budgets are limited.

Last edited:
I've eaten a lot of beans since I got mine. It's not the choice I'd recommend. LOL. For budget graphics horsepower, another 480 for $200 or so used down the road would be a substantial increase for minimal outlay at the time. But if you can hold out till Vega shows up, and it delivers on the hopes of Team Red fans everywhere, that could shake up Nvidia's pricing. By then a 1070 could be selling for lower prices, or Vega could rock the gaming world with an even cheaper alternative. It should be a pretty good year buy a card if you can wait. Of course, there is always something "better" just around the corner, but it's a good time to save for a card, especially for 1080p. :)

I've eaten a lot of beans since I got mine. It's not the choice I'd recommend. LOL. For budget graphics horsepower, another 480 for $200 or so used down the road would be a substantial increase for minimal outlay at the time. But if you can hold out till Vega shows up, and it delivers on the hopes of Team Red fans everywhere, that could shake up Nvidia's pricing. By then a 1070 could be selling for lower prices, or Vega could rock the gaming world with an even cheaper alternative. It should be a pretty good year buy a card if you can wait. Of course, there is always something "better" just around the corner, but it's a good time to save for a card, especially for 1080p. :)

Considering I held out with my 770 2gb card since 2013, until last month, I think I'll manage a year with my rx480. :rofl:

Thanks for the advice.

PS, I'm Team Brown. Whoever has the best option for the best price is who I go with. I used to be NVIDIA exclusive, but I've done some growing up to accept all equally. Heak, if intel or ibm releases a consumer level product, with a good review or two, I'd consider them too!

I have a RX 480 8 GB sitting three feet from me as I type this. It was the first card I bought for the rig in my signature. I got it early for actual suggested retail and couldn't pass it up for the new build. The HOF I have now was one of those "always wanted one" deals and it had the aesthetics I wanted for my build. I could have spent a lot less for a 1070, but once in a while I spoil myself. :) I honestly didn't need a 1070 for my games, the 480 did the job, and that was before the latest driver updates.

Vega is going to cost as much as a 1070 I'd imagine...go Vega single card is my advice.

I just dont like two cards. I like to play my games and NOT like to putz around with potentially troublesome configurations...SLI/CFx. Sounds like your mind already was wondering well down the path of another 480 anyway, lol!

Sounds like your mind already was wondering well down the path of another 480 anyway, lol!

That's where my mind was headed when I started looking at the early 480 hype. "Two 480s for $400 and beat a 1080." Turned out to be not so much, and would end up costing more than the ridiculously expensive 1070 I really wanted, so that, and the good reasons ED mentions, led me to the single 1070 as optimum for me at 1080p. And since my games are easy on the GPU and my resolution isn't going up for years, I intend to wring every dime out of that little gem. LOL

Back