• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Covering Asus GTX 1060 6GB Circuit Board

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SirLoin

I'm a newbee, HI. I have visited this sight many times before and while building my dream machine in December of 2016:

ASUS Z170-A ATX Mobo
Intel Core i7 6700K 4.00 GHz LGA 1151 Processor
Deepcool Captain 240EX Liquid CPU Cooler
Kingston SHPM2280P240 GB PCIe SSD
Western Digital 1 TB HD
Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4 2666 Memory
Asus GeForce GTX1060 6GB Dual Fan Graphics Card
NXT Phantom 410 Mid Tower Gaming Case
Seasonic Snow Silent 750W Power Supply
Dual Asus VH232 monitors

I went with a white theme and most of the components are white. And, I am in the process of sleeving my mobo power cables in white platinum and grey, like my graphics card cable.
Dream Machine Guts.jpg

My question is, can I cover/coat the circuit board on my Asus Graphics card, or is that a no-no? It just looks too bland, I have seen other manufacturers with covers, but haven't seen a DIY one.
I know you can see the circuitry on the mobo and I would have like to have been able to afford the Asus White Sabetooth, but it wasn't in my budget.
Thanks for any suggestions!

I suppose you could just spray paint the back of the video card as long as you didn't use a lead based paint or one with any metallic ingredients.

Does your card have the mounting holes for a backplate? For some reason I thought it did not, but if it does then you would just have to find one that fits or have one made.

Please do not paint/spraypaint or anything of that nature. You never know what materials may be in those paints. If they contain any lead, or ferite metal you'll be boned.

Instead, may I offer a better route: use 3D printing to create a backplate that can cover the back and vent heat.

I make no claims for this company.... just google-foo.

Custom back plates. http://www.v1tech.com/

I personally would not paint the card as it will surely void the warranty.

Soulcatcher668 & Dolk,
Thank you for your responses. The V1 option is just what I was looking for, didn't know they were called backplates or maybe I would have found them myself.
I do have threaded holes on the plate, so I guess I could make one myself, but V1 looks like it uses a magnetic attachment and claims they don't void any warranty, and at $25.00, that's a no-brainer!
This is a very helpful site, thanks to all who answered!
SirLoin

:thup:

Welcome to Overclockers

Nice looking build BTW

Thanks, after googling "backplate" I'm now thinking of making my own, my wife has a Cricut cutting machine, and I could get a piece of thin plastic, like plexiglass and make my own design.
I'll post when I get it done, with pictures.
SirLoin

Yeah, big rule of thumb, don't much around with circuits unless you REALLY know what you are doing. Never be afraid to ask even if it seems stupid.

^ This. The only dumb question is the one you didn't ask right before it caught fire.

SO, if I make a piece of laminated paper, laminated with plastic, do you think I could velcro it on, or should I make stand-off and screw it on? Either way it would be above the circuitry.
SirLoin

I would use stand offs, if for no other reason than airflow/ heat dissipation. I don't know if it would make much difference, but erring on the side of caution seems a good starting point. :)

OK, so I made a backplate out of cardstock (slightly thicker than paper) and cut the ASUS Republic of Gamers (ROG) logo and a cooling square hole for the chip (I've seen other backplates with this open) and cut it with my wife's Cricut. Then I velcroed it on to the card for size and fit. I'll make the plastic copy a little different because the PCIe lock would hit.
I then white loomed the black CPU water coolant tubes. I'll have to take the radiator off and redo these because they kink. I'l straighten them out and white electrical tape wrap them, I think it will look good.
Dream Machine Guts w Looms.jpg

I may just purchase a backplate from V1 as it is pretty awesome and on sale.
V1 Asus ROG Backplate Grey White.jpg
Workin' it.

Looks like a driving snow storm white out. What are you going to do with the black hard drives? Lots of detail work there. I hope you have a see through case side panel so you can appreciate it at a glance.

That's a good looking build. I'm a fan of the color scheme anyway, that knocks it up a notch.

Not done yet as I stated prior, I'm making the 24 pin in the white/platinum/grey cable sleeving. It is nice that the Phantom 410 Mid Tower has a clear side so I can see the beauty within, but every time I try to to take a picture with the side on, it doesn't do it justice.
I'll keep posting. But now that we know about the backplates, I should probably start a new post?
Thanks to all for their support.

Buy the backplate... your build looks incredible, then you have piece of paper for a backplate, and it looks like it.

Back