• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Interesting look at Nvidia through Wall Street's eyes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
In short, it seems Nvidia's revenues from the gaming concerns is expected to be down in coming quarters. Not really a surprise given AMD's current strength in the entry level and mid range right now. Team Green isn't in any danger by any means, but being sold short can't be good news for the executives or the stockholders.
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/nvidi...nds-short-the-stock-like-crazy-175053414.html
It's just part of the deal when traded publicly Alaric, perception of value. Take into consideration the stock has tripled since early last year, a short position by the large banks isn't that big of a surprise. Even if the stock pulled back 50% it's still a nice gain over the course of a year. Most executives have owned the stock for a while, trust me they aren't sweating it.

Oh, I didn't give the article any special significance, I just thought it was interesting to look at the company, and some of their interests that don't normally come up here at OCF, like the datacenter and automotive expansions, and speculate as to why things appeared the way they do now. If Vega isn't a big deal on release, Nvidia's stock could well go the other direction before any of the predictions made come to pass. I would feel safe in buying Nvidia stock while the price is a little lower now for the long term. They aren't going anywhere but up, as a general trend, I believe.

Just to let you know where I'm coming from, I traded stocks for a living for 20 years, stopped in 2014. I rarely looked at fundamentals while doing so, it was mainly on technical analysis, charting, Fibonacci curves, candlestick charts, etc... Just looking at the chart I'd be hard pressed to say it's a good buy at this level. If you look at a candle chart on it, if you're looking long term, it may be a decent buy around the $85-$86 level. That said, it had a pretty big gap up between $72 ish and $78 ish. A lot of times stocks will fill in the gap when making big moves like this has before moving higher. With that taken into account, because there are such big short positions on the stock. If there is any positive news for NVDA that isn't already built into the stock, there is a real possibility that the stock will pop higher due to the large short positions scrambling to cover. If you see a trend where it starts to just sit in a tight range on low volume it may start to look like a better buy. Just my .02.

That's the kind of interesting stuff I was hoping to attract with the thread. Some real information on what the article actually said, provides a little more detailed overview of the company's positioning. Good stuff, thank you! :thup:

Seriously any time. I decided back in 14 that I no longer loved what I did, guess I was getting burnt after 23 years in the industry. Luckily, I was able to take a step back and re evaluate what I wanted to do as my next step in life (opened a deli). I no longer look at the market other then to check my retirement portfolio. Which is completely different then trading stocks on a day to day basis. Any time I can give a little insight to help someone out I am more then happy to.

Knowledge is always a worthy acquisition, for its own sake.

other then to check my retirement portfolio

Did you pick up any AMD when Zen became a rumor? I think I'll look that up over the last two years. I know they're up from there now, but no idea how much. People have been putting nails in that coffin for a couple years. Then the old girl sat up in the middle of the wake. LOL

edit: $3.02 for a low as of 2/24/15 and currently $14.12 at last close. That's what, 460% or so? Now I'm interested enough to see what happens in the months after Ryzen is released.

Last edited:
Knowledge is always a worthy acquisition, for its own sake.

Did you pick up any AMD when Zen became a rumor? I think I'll look that up over the last two years. I know they're up from there now, but no idea how much. People have been putting nails in that coffin for a couple years. Then the old girl sat up in the middle of the wake. LOL

edit: $3.02 for a low as of 2/24/15 and currently $14.12 at last close. That's what, 460% or so? Now I'm interested enough to see what happens in the months after Ryzen is released.
Nope, I haven't bought much in a while. I try to not "trade" my retirement stuff. I will usually just pick stocks I like and let them ride unless something changes in their story. I also picked up a bunch of stuff during the 07-08 sell off that I still have, some of which I've scaled out of. One of the guys I worked for back in the early 90's at Smith Barney Shearson, whom I still speak to, said something to me that was pretty profound. He said to me, "the stock market is to only place in the world that when stuff is on sale, no one wants it." I've always tried to remember that when I was trading, if I was having a day where I was fighting off a heart attack watching stocks drop like stones I would always try to buy some stuff for the long term. In most cases it payed off.

Thanks here is a link

Another tidbit from yesterday. http://www.marketwatch.com/story/nv...e-to-sell-2017-02-23?siteid=yhoof2&yptr=yahoo Even funnier is the recommendation that people take their profits from selling their Nvidia shares and buy Intel-four days before Ryzen hits the streets. LOL
I've always loved analysts and their market recommendations. Most of them have no skin in the game. Look at this chart here, even if it pulls back to the mid $70.00 range it's still a nice move from early last year.

I guess a lot of the stuff I've linked is from those who play the market for a lot of short term gains. I don't know enough, and if luck becomes a factor I'll roll craps, to even consider that type of investing. So I'm looking at these things from a long term mindset. What a stock did over 12 months is interesting, but I would likely focus on a trend encompassing years rather than short term hiccups. That probably keeps me from recognizing some salient points.

Alaric, I did a little more looking at the chart. If you're interested in buying NVDA for the long term, it's 200 day moving average is around $75.00 which if it did pull back to that point it would have also filled in the gap up from around the same level. If you do like NVDA, it may be a good buy down there for the long haul.

I wish I had the disposable income for such things at present. Although, at this point I would be looking at leaving a small inheritance as opposed to planning on cashing in myself. In that light, it's definitely worth keeping an eye on. Thanks!

Back