• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fire!Fire!Fire! Continued...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SwartHack

Babysitter for OCF Lounge Day Care, Still a bad-as
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...ou-get-today?p=7996231&viewfull=1#post7996231

So a number of people required an explanation. Bwah-ha-ha-err-hardy-har?

IMG_0012.JPG

Wow just wow Swart.So what is the story on this one?
Oh my. Got a post on this? Would like to know more on what happened.
Somebody was pulling too many amps! :)
Being that all the blacks are cooked, I would say direct short to ground. Wire placement messed up when doing the sleeve job?

So yeah. I have a number of old IDE drives that I have no idea whats on them.
I had this adapter rig laying around that I picked up some time ago. And figured now was the time to go through my old spinners...
So I had this molex psu cable laying around. As many may know I detest the 4 pin molex connector....
This psu cable never worked and on closer inspection it was wired wrong, or so I thought...

Well I pulled the pins from the connector and wired it up the right way, or so I thought.
The pins on the drive IDE connection are scorched as well. I guess whatever was on that disk I didn't need.
The whole thing went up in instantaneous fashion, filled my office with smoke.
I went diving for the main power off on the power-strip. Thankfully the rig it was hooked up to is OK.

Question/Comments/Disparaging Remarks?

Cheers

I would definitely be wary of your psu. It took quite a hit with that short.

Called it. :)

PSU will probably be fine. Most nowadays have protection for stuff like that.
No disparaging remarks. I have a couple harnesses from running too many TEC's that look worse than that.
Sh1t happens.

At least it was low voltage system. I have a set of angle cutters around here somewhere with a 3/8 inch hole blown through them from a 277v to ground short.

Hey, SwartHack, I need a few light fixtures replaced in my ex wives, (one of my old) house, you available one evening this week?

Hey, SwartHack, I need a few light fixtures replaced in my ex wives, (one of my old) house, you available one evening this week?

:rofl:

View attachment 188485

As many may know I detest the 4 pin molex connector....

Question/Comments/Disparaging Remarks?

Yes I actually do. The molex gods have spoken! :D

But on a serious note though, you're very lucky you didn't take out the whole rig. I've been hearing stories like these a lot lately. The last story I read a week or so ago was someone using a 3rd party adapter to their PSU which had crossed wires and fried both of their "editing" rig while blaming a NZXT Hue+ first. Luckily the company and his PSU, were patient enough to show his noobness while surely costing them a PR and financial nightmare scenario, since he had a lot of followers and views on the tube.

Back