• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

fx8300 4.2ghz freeze

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DangerousB

Registered
Hi guys :) First of all my pc spec: Asus asus m5a97 r2.0, fx8300, Sapphire r9 280 trixx, hyper fury x 8gb 1600mhz single channel.

So i overclocked the fx8300 @4.2ghz and the cpu vcore is set @1.325v everyting else is auto.. I disabled turbo mode and the power saving options expect HPC is enabled. So i run occt test 1h and it went without any error temps were 52c cpu and package was 38c (cpuid hwmonitor) aida64 stress test went flawless but i wanted to try prime95 and so it begins normal till 720k process it passes the 720k and the my pc freezes :screwy: only option is to reset it on the case button! Testing with prime95 temps get 60c cpu max and package 45c max... What can it be? Is the voltage to low? I hope you can help me :) thanks

EDIT: Amd overdrive stability test completed without error for 1h

Last edited:
You need more core voltage to pass Prime95 apparently. Package temp reflects the temp of the processor cores and "CPU" temp is the socket area temp, despite the label which would lead one to assume otherwise. Package temps you want to keep at 60c or below and CPU temp at 70c or below for AMD. You may also be getting some voltage drop under load from what you have it set to in bios so you would need to compensate for that with either more vcore or changing to a higher LLC level. LLC = Load Line Calibration.

I would also suggest trying an older version of Prime95 (27.9) that does not have AVX2 instruction sets. They run considerably cooler than the newer versions. If you can pass 3 hr. of OCCT large data set you should be stable. Also try 4 hr. of Realbench CPU stress test.

i have enabled LLC but on this mobo asus m5a97 r2.0 there is no option (normal, high or ultra LLC) just enable/disable.. In OCCT larg data was enabled i will try to raise the voltage to 1.331250v hope that will be enough :) if not i will try the older version of prime :) thanks for your answer

I would also get a small fan such as an 80mm if you have one handy and mount it on the heatsink that is covering the VRM section of that board. I have a similar board M5A99X Evo and the VRM was getting really hot when I had my Fx 8350 running on it. I'm pretty sure Trents had the same issue with his M5A97 board.

I have a 120mm fan on the top of the case (thermaltake v3) but is a exhaust fan.. I will the smaller one and mount it :) Thanks for the info

Back