• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Uningen and a DX12 benchmark

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trents

Heaven is getting kind of long in the tooth now. I'm surprised that Uningen hasn't come out with a DX12 benchmark equivalent yet.

Thanks. I was aware the T ime Spy is dx12 and already have it but I like Heaven better for GPU because it focuses on the GPU.

Without copious amounts of AA, at 1080p, both Heaven(hwbot extreme) and Valley(extreme setting) respond pretty well to cpu clockspeed increases, particularly on high end cards. There isn't a cpu physics test in unigine, but due to its lower res settings, it can be influenced by cpu speeds on higher end cards.

It just strikes me as odd that Uingine hasn't come out with a dx12 bench tool yet. dx12 has been out for awhile now.

Like games, adaptation has been slow... as it tends to be with new APIs. But, I hear you. Id like to at least see that out of them sooner than later.

Another question about Heaven. When I choose "Ultra" quality and run the benchmark the report window still says "High" quality when I go to save it. But there is a definite fps differences when running the benchmark on the different settings.

I don't see a question there...lol, you'd have to ask them why it shows high when you are running on ultra.

I don't use the one from the Unigine site though. I use the version from Hwbot which only has basic and extreme settings in its own wrapper (GUI).

Without copious amounts of AA, at 1080p, both Heaven(hwbot extreme) and Valley(extreme setting) respond pretty well to cpu clockspeed increases, particularly on high end cards. There isn't a cpu physics test in unigine, but due to its lower res settings, it can be influenced by cpu speeds on higher end cards.

Is this true even when your CPU is not bottlenecking the card? For example: when I run heaven My phenom II @ ~3.8 shows ~50% usage while the GPU is maxing out A 100%. My feeling is that I would not see a significant increase in score by bumping CPU clocks, but from reading your statement I am no longer certain. Is there any further clarification you can give?

Another question about Heaven. When I choose "Ultra" quality and run the benchmark the report window still says "High" quality when I go to save it. But there is a definite fps differences when running the benchmark on the different settings.

I think that Heaven may be a bit long in the tooth for the new generation of cards. Maybe it just needs an update for newer information, or there is some sort of smaller bug at work. I havent had the issue you are describing but I have seen this :
Uni_Heav.PNG

If you are having a tough time finding a problem with that image it is because you dont know what I do about the card. Its an 8gb model but only shows as 4gb in the snapshot. I only noticed this because I read of another user from a different forum (perhaps even one of the reviews I was reading) seeing the same thing. So now this 2x the incorrect reporting of Vram and now your issue also. As I said above, my guess is that Heaven is just a bit dated for testing newer GPU.

I find that Unigeni Valley does allow me to select "Ultra" quality. Will be getting a second Rx 480 4gb later this week so I'm trying to do some benchmarking on the single card first for comparison. What is the difference between Heaven and Valley anyway?

I am not normally a fan of dual video card solutions but I got both cards extremely cheap. Both together for less than $300 total.

Is this true even when your CPU is not bottlenecking the card? For example: when I run heaven My phenom II @ ~3.8 shows ~50% usage while the GPU is maxing out A 100%. My feeling is that I would not see a significant increase in score by bumping CPU clocks, but from reading your statement I am no longer certain. Is there any further clarification you can give?

I think that Heaven may be a bit long in the tooth for the new generation of cards. Maybe it just needs an update for newer information, or there is some sort of smaller bug at work. I havent had the issue you are describing but I have seen this :
View attachment 188515

If you are having a tough time finding a problem with that image it is because you dont know what I do about the card. Its an 8gb model but only shows as 4gb in the snapshot. I only noticed this because I read of another user from a different forum (perhaps even one of the reviews I was reading) seeing the same thing. So now this 2x the incorrect reporting of Vram and now your issue also. As I said above, my guess is that Heaven is just a bit dated for testing newer GPU.
My clarification is to test it. But as I said, with "copious amounts of AA", you seem to have 8xAA in the pic, it tends to be less of a difference as more is leaning on the GPU. I am talking the Hwbot version, the extreme setting. That will scale a bit with CPU speed. Also, I mentioned high end cards... I wouldn't call a 480 high end...

But yeah, test anyway, push that CPU a few hundred Mhz further and see what the score does. Then, test it as I said, without AA, or less AA like the 'extreme' setting does and see what your score does. :)

Back