• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help repairing broken CAB archives

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trents

I ran the Avast boot time scan today on a customer's computer and it found a VBS trojan and three "corrupt CAB archive" instances. Customer noted that after he consented to downloading something in response to an "an urgent Firefox update" he started having problems and his computer ran much slower.

Question is, how do I repair these corrupt CAB archives without restoring to a clean install of Windows 10?

I am running a chckdsk /f /r scan now and plan to do an sfc /scannow scan after that.

Is there something else I should do?

This probably does not answer the question but: The system has been compromised, no amount of duct tape and wd40 will fix this issue (removing the virus, repairing the corrupt files). You have no way of knowing what else came through. Perform a clean install, everything is not a clean system imo...

I ran the Avast boot time scan today on a customer's computer and it found a VBS trojan and three "corrupt CAB archive" instances. Customer noted that after he consented to downloading something in response to an "an urgent Firefox update" he started having problems and his computer ran much slower.

Question is, how do I repair these corrupt CAB archives without restoring to a clean install of Windows 10?

I am running a chckdsk /f /r scan now and plan to do an sfc /scannow scan after that.

Is there something else I should do?

You can try this via an elevated cmd prompt:

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Back