• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are the new ASUS AM4 motherboards going to have the same BIOS feature set?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Keith Myers

Are the new ASUS AM4 motherboards going to have the same BIOS feature set as the older AM3+ motherboards. For example will there still be LLC and VID control? I know that there is going to be changes in the Ryzen chip itself with regard to its internal overclocking. I was just wondering if we will be able to turn Turbo and Boost stuff off and go our own way with traditional manual overclocking.:confused:

Only time will tell, but I'd imagine so. I'm mean, you need core voltage control to overclock.... and these do overclock.

Actually, I'm overclocking my FX processors with nothing but multiplier and LLC. I haven't gone extreme even though I have plenty of thermal headroom.

LLC raises the voltage on load correct. Not exactly what many would consider a proper way to do it, though its 6 of one half dozen of the other I suppose. LLC can only go so high and unless you have power management on, that could lead to instability at idle clocks.

LOL. My CPU's NEVER see idle clocks and are run at 100% all the time because they are busy with distributed computing. I know I could bump the frequency up with a voltage increase but that also leads to more thermals in the CPU and VRM's. I saw firsthand what a good motherboard with LLC can do versus a middling motherboard with only voltage control. I was running a FX-8300 in a MSI 970 Gaming for a couple of months and had to increase the VID to 1.37V to get it stable at 3.8 GHz and was pretty much at the 62° C. socket limit all the time. It died in 3 months and I replaced it with the ASUS M5A99FX. I run the same FX-8300 now at 4.0 GHz with nothing more than a multiplier bump and LLC. The VID is 1.30V stable and the chip runs at 30-35 ° C. Turn off power management, Turbo and pretty much every other bell and whistle in the BIOS as ritual. Just want it stable at the highest frequency with minimal voltage increase and low thermals.

That's incredibly backwards man...

Also, VID is the STOCK voltage value. Anything outside of that is vcore. You will confuse people saying VID outsode of the stock voltage.

Cheap msi board and overclocking...not surprised it died. But voltage is voltage. LLC just has very limited control. It really should only be used to removing vdroop, not to intentionally raise the voltage for overclocking.

Last edited:
OK, Vcore... not VID

That's incredibly backwards man...

Also, VID is the STOCK voltage value. Anything outside of that is vcore. You will confuse people saying VID outsode of the stock voltage.

Cheap msi board and overclocking...not surprised it died. But voltage is voltage. LLC just has very limited control. It really should be used to overclock outsode of removing vdroop.

Not the first time I've been called backwards. OK, proper terminology is Vcore. I just go by what I see on the SIV panel. I like the fact that I don't have to increase thermals to get to a overclock. It works for me. May not fit your definition of overclocking but not my concern really. It is fast to implement in the BIOS without extensive testing and rebooting. That is the game I had to play with the MSI board. The ASUS boards handle the multiplier bump with just the LLC setting to counteract the Vdroop that comes with loading all 8 cores 100% all the time. I am not trying to win any overclocking contest searching for the highest frequency on one core. I am setting the computers up for stable, valid math calculations. My $0.02 on the matter.

You are always increasing thermals when you overclock. You also added voltage, which increases thermals. If you were loading at (random value here..) 1.2V after droop, then enable LLC and hit 1.25V for stability using the faster clockspeed, you have raised the vcore. Raising voltage and clock speeds increase power use, which in turn creates more heat. Its just science. :)

In the end, the way to raise voltage, I suppose its a 6 of one, half dozen of the other situation and a matter of preference...but LLC only isn't typically a common way to do so and is VERY limited.

I digress. :)

Last edited:
I was running a FX-8300 in a MSI 970 Gaming for a couple of months
- There's your problem.

LOL

OK on a serious note. If all you use is basic LLC and Multi why are you interested in all the other bells and whistles? That is of course if I'm reading you correctly.

The answer to your "future" question is you'll want the B350 chipset. It allows overclocking but doesn't have all the features of the full out overclocker X370 chipset.

This guy may NEED the full range of goodies. What if, and just speculating here, B350 doesn't have LLC? Now, saying that out loud seems silly as it overclocks, but, its a lower tier chipset too so................. I don't know......!!

You are always increasing thermals when you overclock. You also added voltage, which increases thermals. If you were loading at (random value here..) 1.2V after droop, then enable LLC and hit 1.25V for stability using the faster clockspeed, you have raised the vcore. Raising voltage and clock speeds increase power use, which in turn creates more heat. Its just science. :)

In the end, the way to raise voltage, I suppose its a 6 of one, half dozen of the other situation and a matter of preference...but LLC only isn't typically a common way to do so and is VERY limited.

I digress. :)

Yes, I understand this. Voltage goes up, current goes up, heat goes up. LLC may have limited range in affecting Vcore but for my simple needs, it suffices. Just going off what I learned in the Bulldozer overclocking thread. Just one of many tools as you state. My overclocking needs are certainly contrary to the typical inhabitants of this forum since I don't game at all.

- There's your problem.

LOL

OK on a serious note. If all you use is basic LLC and Multi why are you interested in all the other bells and whistles? That is of course if I'm reading you correctly.

The answer to your "future" question is you'll want the B350 chipset. It allows overclocking but doesn't have all the features of the full out overclocker X370 chipset.

The answer to that question is the old "you get what you paid for" saw. As I found out with the cheap MSI board. I pay for better engineered boards that come with better cooling, more phases, more controls over overclocking and get the extra bells and whistles that come with the price point.

I pre-ordered the ASUS X370 Prime Pro board with the Ryzen 7 1700X. I didn't need all the extra bells and whistles of the Crosshair VI Hero board even though it might be a better overclocker than the Prime. I just knew I wanted the better engineered X370 chipset. The B350 boards might be sufficient, I don't know. But since I'm taking a gamble in pre-ordering before any third-party tests have confirmed the goodness of Ryzen, I thought I would put the odds in my favor with a much more upscale choice in the X370 boards.

- - - Updated - - -

This guy may NEED the full range of goodies. What if, and just speculating here, B350 doesn't have LLC? Now, saying that out loud seems silly as it overclocks, but, its a lower tier chipset too so................. I don't know......!!

Which goes back my original post in this thread. I would really liked to have seen BIOS shots of the ASUS X370 boards to see if they kept all the adjustments and controls we have become used to using with the 990FX chipsets and FX processors. I guess we will just have to wait for tests.

Last edited by a moderator:
You only need to wait 2 more days. Reviews will be out everywhere within a few days of the 2nd.

Don't feel bad about the MSI debacle. You and I weren't the only ones had by their (almost) false advertising. I'm looking at the prime pro too but will be pairing it with a vanilla 1700. The 'x' just isn't in the budget right now and honestly the Ryzen 5 1600x would work perfectly. Alas, I've no patience.

You only need to wait 2 more days. Reviews will be out everywhere within a few days of the 2nd.

Don't feel bad about the MSI debacle. You and I weren't the only ones had by their (almost) false advertising. I'm looking at the prime pro too but will be pairing it with a vanilla 1700. The 'x' just isn't in the budget right now and honestly the Ryzen 5 1600x would work perfectly. Alas, I've no patience.
Blay buddy, lemme know how OCing it goes! It's either the 1700 or a 7700K! Kinda leaning towards the 7700k at the moment, cause I don't think the 1700 can get to where I want it single threaded wise (thinking games and stuff).

Well, this is for a build for a friend. Watch for my DismalDIRGE build log. He doesn't have plans for OCing but you know I'll give it a little push while testing it out.

LOL. No no no. No rodeo clown business for this one. It's not mine so it will only receive minor torturing. This will be an air build for its ease of maintenance and reliability. Either a 212x or PH-TC-14PE if it's in the budget.

Sorry about the unintentional thread high-jack Keith. Back on topic now.

LOL. No no no. No rodeo clown business for this one. It's not mine so it will only receive minor torturing. This will be an air build for its ease of maintenance and reliability. Either a 212x or PH-TC-14PE if it's in the budget.

Sorry about the unintentional thread high-jack Keith. Back on topic now.

No bother. LOL. I'm very often very guilty of hi-jacking threads in Number Crunching.

Just FYI the Crosshair Hero does have LLC options

Thanks, good to know. I'm hoping there are close similarities between the Crosshair Hero BIOS and the X370 Pro. Likely since both are ASUS boards. Even my lowly M5A99FX board has LLC.

Back