• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Had to share. Laptop + WD40 = ???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

don256us

Uber Folding Senior
I just got a laptop from a client who's elderly father had a problem with the keyboard. Being an old hard working farmer with a long history of use with WD40, he sprayed the kerosene based lubricant on the keyboard. The keyboard stopped working. So that mystery is solved. You no longer have to test that out to find the answer.

The laptop works otherwise. I ordered a replacement keyboard from fleabay for less than $10 and I expect that the machine will be good to go after that. He must not have used much of the lubricant as you could not tell by looking at the keyboard itself. When I took the keyboard out, there was a very thin film of WD40 on the plastic film that seperates the keyboard and metal body of the laptop. Of course the laptop does smell heavily of the named brand lubricant so we got that going for it.

lol old farmers, if wd40 or baling wire wont fix it you're doing it wrong.

If it's stuck, WD40. If it's supposed to stick, Duck tape. Everything else, Hammer.

When my kids were very young they would manage to spill chocolate milk in a keyboard with regularity. For future reference, it doesn't displace water nearly as well as WD-40, smells worse. But hey, chocolate!

Just do what my oldest did and run those Dell quietkey keyboards through the dishwasher in the top rack. Typically it worked through 2-3 washes before dying.

Just do what my oldest did and run those Dell quietkey keyboards through the dishwasher in the top rack. Typically it worked through 2-3 washes before dying.

Did the same thing with my Logitech membrane keyboard ran it through the dish washer 2 times and let it dry for 2 days, good as new :rofl:

Bailing twine is awesome stuff. If you look closely at a lot of my pictures you will see it utilized to help support fans and tubing and other stuff.

Remember that this is a LAPTOP keyboard. Smaller gaps. Besides, it's cheaper, easier and faster to buy a new one. Keeping in mind that I have to charge labor.

Back