• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advice for AP placement

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ArcticPenguin

Got some great tips and information from the home project thread, sorry if this redundant or in the wrong sub-forum, but wanted to find out what locations may be a better placement in single story ~1600sq home.

here is a (terribly done) generic floor plan. most of the beds/office are 10x12~ and have a fairly simple open layout without much stuff in the way. currently its under construction so I don't have a good way to test just yet, but we have a certain amount of drops there going to place. they initially suggested the furtherest bedroom and the office as AP install locations, but am thinking maybe central in the living/dining + office would be better?

update.png

Last edited:
I think your idea for office + dining+living could work. Unfortunately no good way to know until everything is in place to make sure you'd get good penetration through the walls and such. But overall the house isn't huge so the two should easily cover that space and allow you to go outside as well.

Ideally the APs will be centralized in the house with a little overlap, but as it is one long floor there may be other/better advice to give. The optional ocation outside of the laundry room would likely cover the bottom half of the house and right ousdie of the MB could likelydo the top of the house, but there would likely be a ton of overlap between the two.

Last edited:
Ideally, the best location with no interference is the highest central point. That being said, I'd put it in the laundry area in that layout.

I *just* got my house finished 2/3/17 and the AP is in my office because its the most central point outside of the kitchen.

I'd get a Ubiquiti AP-Pro and put it where the optional location beside the laundry room is.

Yeah I was planning with 2x Unifi AP-Pro units. So remove both and just the 1x in the foyer/open area there?

I cover my 1600sqft 3br/2ba house, two car garage, and almost 1/4 acre of land with a single AP-Pro.
It's mounted on the ceiling in the hallway right where it opens to the living room.

Thanks for that info, when you mounted it did you use the drywall mounts/screws or the ceiling metal bracket? not sure if it matters either way the metal ceiling bracket seemed mainly for ceiling tiles (office/basement, etc)

I used drywall screws, the metal bracket is for ceiling tiles as you noted.

Wanted to get an opinion, they're doing the wiring this week for the drops and am curious if I should add a third possibly? I know UniFi has the ethernet wall AP in beta which is interesting, but at the moment wanted to see if adding a 3rd drop either to place another AC Pro or something else down the line?

I have 2 AC Pros in a temp rental 1313sqft and have more than enough coverage, but with the layout of the new build, all the walls/ceilings about ~10ft high with 8ft doors, so plenty of room for signal flow and not many closed off doors or anything like that.

Here is a basic mapping from unify using our floor plan I'm not sure not how accurate it is since its their run of the mill PDF plan.

the more coverage is using their 2.4Ghz spectrum and the smaller is 5Ghz range

Attachments

• fp5g.png
    fp5g.png
    169.7 KB · Views: 32
  • fp.png
    fp.png
    344 KB · Views: 34
Looks fine to me as-is, as well. I don't know where you'd put a 3rd AP in there without I guess moving the top AP near the top of the Great Room (although not touching the wall/etc for better signal) and putting the 3rd by the linen closet? I guess worst case if it doesn't cost much get it wired and you can add the AP later if you determine you don't have enough signal through the house.

Who is your ISP and what are their policies concerning placement of the residential gateway? A lot of them will only go through an outside wall so if you wanted the gateway placed in an interior room then you would have to either run cable yourself or contract with someone who does that.

Who is your ISP and what are their policies concerning placement of the residential gateway? A lot of them will only go through an outside wall so if you wanted the gateway placed in an interior room then you would have to either run cable yourself or contract with someone who does that.

It's a new construction and he's wiring it with Ethernet.

Back