• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

** GTX 1080ti relesed at $700 - May edge out the Titan X Pascal in PPD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nihilus

Considering my 1080 FE seems to only do about 600K ppd 90% of the time, I think I'm likely to swap out. Getting double the ppd for what was about the same price is worth it.

Plus, I need to seriously up my game.

Good way to estimate REAL WORLD PPD a card will get with a MODERATE overclock:
1.) Go to this website: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vcVoSVtamcoGj5sFfvKF_XlvuviWWveJIg_iZ8U2bf0/pub?output=html#
2.) Find the best PPD of that card which is with an EXTREME overclock and a GOLDEN work unit.
3.) Multiply by 2/3rds

The GTX 1070, 980ti, and 1080 all show upper 900k units so 650k PPD is a good real world number. (The 1080 shows lower because it has a smaller sample pool)
A GTX 970 shows 500k ppd at best, so about 330k real world.
The Titan X-P shows up to 1.66M PPD so I would guess 1.1M PPD real world (Should be similiar for the GTX 1080ti). So yeah, about double!

I still think my Titan X P will show better PPD than a 1080 Ti.

All Pascals seem to hit the same overclock wall.

I'm not going to panic and sell my Titan X P cards.

All Pascals are subject to reduced boost clock at higher temperatures.

The 1080 Ti has the same TDP (I think) as the Pascal.

Hence, a 1080 Ti will be the same overclock clock as a Titan X P.

I'm not sure what affect the lower ROPs will have on the 1080 Ti. Also, the 1080 Ti has less memory cache than the Titan X P...not sure what affect that will have.

A great upgrade for a 1080/1070 though.

Out of my 2 Titan X P cards, one hits 2125 MHz folding, the other hits 2075 MHz folding. Both consistently do about 1.2 M ppd consistently. I've gotten as high as 1.5 M ppd on a card (that's 1.5 million points in one day, not getting a project that says it's getting 1.5 M ppd).

Well, I've got the money set aside for a 1080Ti now. I was going to get 2 1070s, but given my space restrictions, the Ti's looks to be the way to go.

Now, do I put up with the cooling package, or wait until the better cooling comes out? I've got about a month and a half until I get passed again, so I do have some time.

All Pascals are subject to reduced boost clock at higher temperatures.

The 1080 Ti has the same TDP (I think) as the Pascal.

Hence, a 1080 Ti will be the same overclock clock as a Titan X P.

I'm not sure what affect the lower ROPs will have on the 1080 Ti. Also, the 1080 Ti has less memory cache than the Titan X P...not sure what affect that will have.

Frame buffer does not seem to affect folding from what I have seen. ROPs seem to be more important to gaming, but I still don't understand them very well. You are probably correct about the overclock wall, but with the more mainstream products, we may see some cool aftermarket solutions. Hoping for an MSI 1080ti Sea Hawk!

Ok, tax return has hit. It is over a week into March now. Where are they? I don't even see pre-order options yet.

Edit: Registered my second EVGA 1070, and got the extended warranty for step-up options. My first 1070 is too old for step-up. Though I'm going to have to pay an extra $60 due to the way they counted the 'free game' I didn't care about on the pricing. Though with the second 1080 TI I'm planning on getting, for just over $1000, I should get about 1.7M more PPD according to Nihilus's back of the envelope guestimate. (No, I'm not holding you to it Nihilus)

Last edited:
Refreshing EVGA and Newegg sites waiting to see if the hardware shows up at 1pm EST like predicted.

Back