• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why should I buy SSD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

demien88

I heard sooooo many stupid reasons why to buy SSD half of them are clearly trolling or just being stupid, from "oh your game will run faster", "oh your regular HDD is botleneck" so on and so forth. I know that SSD-s are in fact better but they are also much more expensive and for example 250gb isnt enough for all software and games most of the people use, so buying only SSD makes no sense to me, especially when I am on the budget. If I was some sort of content creator or dev I would buy it without thinking but simply for regular use I see no point in buying one.
Do you think price justify performance? What do you think about regular pc users do they need one?

Much faster boot time
Instant access time to applications
Faster loading time
"Snappiness" of the whole system

You can't understand untill you get one... ;)

BTW, being the slowest part in a system, for some apps, the HDD is the bottleneck.

Yes, price justifies performance by far (edit: IMO).

Edit: I bought my first one in 2010, a Corsair F90 Sata II (was something like $250 at the time...). I felt like a pr1ck when I pressed the "pay now" button, but all regrets vanished at first boot! I newer went back to HDD since.

"PC users" is quite a generic term, hard to answer. Does a PC user need a 4/6/8/10 cores CPU? Does a PC user need a $200+ GPU? Does a PC user need an aftermarket HSF? And so on...

Last edited:
I'd rate it as essential on any frequently used system. The responsiveness is helped massively on all but the lowest of low spec systems where the bottleneck may remain elsewhere. It is true the cost per capacity works out much higher than for a traditional hard disk. A common strategy on a budget is to run a smaller SSD to install the operating system, and maybe any high importance software. Lower importance software and bulk storage can still go on a much bigger hard disk.

All those things I noticed on friends PC UE4 loads so fast. The main problem is that I would have to squeze out 100 euros for 250gb ssd for which I can get 2tb regular HDD.
Whats lowest size of SSD you would buy when on the budget? I don't see point of those 120gb its just enough for OS and some software

EDIT: I ment for people that are regular users that just browse internet and similar

AGreed on the 120GB being too small. A 250GB will be enough for the systems, a couple of AAA games and leaves some room for Adobe CS/MS Office.

all the things he ^^^^^^^^ said, everything is just snappier.
on this forum we are not going to arm twist you about it, here we think that you being happy and with a rig you can afford is the best way to have it.
you are right, with the size of games and some software 250 gigs is the smallest you should get but, if you might go into debt for it, please don't bother.

Eventually I will get is sooner or later. Going into debt for anything is just being stupid only if its essential for your life. This Toshiba HDD will be storage when I get it thats the luck. Just one more question, dose it meter where I plug it into motherboard I noticed some ports are "slower" some are "faster" or there is no difference.

I think a 120/128GB size class SSD is plenty for OS, if you can put everything else on a 2nd drive. The problem is the price per capacity at that point isn't great, and the price difference to 240/256GB class makes it much better value.

Also note, even a low end SSD is often much faster than a high spec HD, so don't worry about paying more for a high performance SSD over a better capacity value one.

- - - Updated - - -

Eventually I will get is sooner or later. Going into debt for anything is just being stupid only if its essential for your life. This Toshiba HDD will be storage when I get it thats the luck. Just one more question, dose it meter where I plug it into motherboard I noticed some ports are "slower" some are "faster" or there is no difference.

Use a SATA 3 port to get better transfer rates than SATA 2, otherwise there isn't much difference.

Tnx on effort guys. I will probably get one in near future

many times we have 2 sata controllers.
always plug your boot drive into sata port 1 and you will be alright.

I heard sooooo many stupid reasons why to buy SSD half of them are clearly trolling or just being stupid, from "oh your game will run faster", "oh your regular HDD is botleneck" so on and so forth. I know that SSD-s are in fact better but they are also much more expensive and for example 250gb isnt enough for all software and games most of the people use, so buying only SSD makes no sense to me, especially when I am on the budget. If I was some sort of content creator or dev I would buy it without thinking but simply for regular use I see no point in buying one.
Do you think price justify performance? What do you think about regular pc users do they need one?
It's 2017... You should absolutely have one if it fits the budget. No, you won't get faster fps...but your hdd is the slowest thing on the pc.

i asked this one time. i was sitting there like ok so what if i boot faster whoopty doo im not paying $150 for 256gb of storage il take the extra 10 seconds boot time. then... i got a free SSD and oh my god. they aren't technology buddy. that is right. they are straight up freaking voodoo, oh look before i even finished my double click that entire program is ready to go! next thing i know its opening stuff before i even think about clicking on it im like what in the mess? how did you... then that's when it hit me.. magic.

within the next year my server, gaming rig, router all got ssd's.

tl;dr: buy one. its the best thing to happen to your pc since l3 cache.

disclaimer: not held accountable if op is killed by the voodoo magic contained in the SSD.

I know that even some games benefit from it due fast read write ability and those same game struggle and stutter like hell on regular HDD-s. But those are few one of them is Space Engineers. I just hope to get one just for OS and few programs since I already have enough storage on another HDD. Last thing that was like voodoo magic was this PC in comparison to old one, that faced unfortunate "blender fan death" cpu got destroyed.

My 120gb SSD is plenty for W10 and all my programs. You can get a SanDisk on Amazon for less than 50euros. Just get a nice spinner drive for storage then.
Of the 110gb available, I have about 60gb left after a full W10 install and updates. My programs used less than 20gb so I still have over 1/3 of the storage space left.
Just install anything like games on the hdd then.

There is really an astonishing difference the first time you boot up with an SSD when you're used to a hard drive.

I upgraded my father's desktop PC to an SSD with an additional storage drive a while back. With the old single 7200RPM WD Blue it was booting up to the desktop in about 4 minutes, and even after I gave it a full cleaning (temp files, registry, antivirus scans and so forth) that number didn't improve much. After cloning the OS to an 840 Evo SSD that boot time went down to about 45 seconds to 1 minute. That system has an AMD Phenom II x4 965 at the stock 3.4GHz if that tells you anything of the age (built in 2010).

After using the system with an SSD for a few days he went back to using the HDD, and was amazed because he never realized just how long programs took to load. I believe it was some financial or tax program that took 2-3 minutes to load on the HDD, but was up and running in 10-15 seconds on the SSD with the same OS load.

A laptop I refurbished a while back booted up in about 3 minutes with a 5400RPM hard drive, when I cloned the OS over to an SSD that dropped to ~30 seconds.

The difference in gaming on my desktop is pretty astonishing. Playing the game from an HDD the other day I loaded into a match in BF4 after my team had taken the first two objectives in Rush and was working on the third (this takes a while usually), whereas with the game on an SSD I'm one of the first into the match. I should probably transfer my BF4 game files back to my SSD since I'm playing that more lately than the newer BF1.

I didn't get my first SSD until late 2015 if I remember correctly. It just was never affordable to me before that, and since I needed something to put my OS on I went with hard drives as you could get much more storage for the money.

all my pc's have had SSD's since i started using the OCZ Agility's back in the day. still got a OCZ vertex-EX 120gb showing 99% life left and its been threw 4-6 os installs plus a few apps, mostly just read from but its in my HTPC.

^ Dat 8s boot time too. Magic
Share your secret? :) Ive got 35 seconds on the 850 Evo and 37 on the laptop 7200 rpm spinner. The OS is fresh on the SSD (I haven't gutted the services yet or anything) but I dont think Ill get anywhere near 8s

@op As I stated above Ive got similar boot on an SSD and HDD, but programs boot noticeably faster.

boot time can be measured differently, some call boot time from the power button to full desktop. others call boot time, the time it takes when the os starts to load to a fully usable desktop. also some motherboards or all now, have options to allow for faster bootup by bypassing some detection of devices after being found the first time by the bios/UEFI.

Back