• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why should I buy SSD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I count boot time after splash screen since PC needs some time to show it on screen, like 2-3 seconds. I don't care much about boot time but rather other stuff that need good read write speed and general speed of my actions. Right now it needs like maybe less than 30-ish seconds to get up and runing when I press start button, and its on older drive. Either way its good to have one SSD as you all are saying 120gb or 250 one.

Share your secret? :) Ive got 35 seconds on the 850 Evo and 37 on the laptop 7200 rpm spinner. The OS is fresh on the SSD (I haven't gutted the services yet or anything) but I dont think Ill get anywhere near 8s

@OP As I stated above Ive got similar boot on an SSD and HDD, but programs boot noticeably faster.

It's called Asrock instant boot. This guy explains it better than I can. Essentially It temporarily stores a fresh boot either in your ram or SSD (dunno). Power cable must remain plugged in for it to work.

Edit: I suppose you could call it a very deep sleep mode?

It's called Asrock instant boot. This guy explains it better than I can. Essentially It temporarily stores a fresh boot either in your ram or SSD (dunno). Power cable must remain plugged in for it to work.

I don't know why, but if I have a USB hard drive plugged in, this doesn't work for me. Unplug the drive, and it works great. Kind of a weird glitch.

I have both a new PC with HDD and 2 with SSD. The only things I notice with a SSD boot time and windows updates are faster also installing software, surfing the web is the same as the HDD.

SSD vs HDD
I did it with a stopwatch and each test I did 4 times.

All test were from system bootup.

HDD Raptor AHCI
PC startup push button 50 seconds to active.

crysis 3 startup 1:07 minute.

crysis 3 loading multiplayer map 41 seconds.

BF3 loading origin and web browser 44 seconds.

BF3 loading multiplayer map 1:40 minute.

Battlefield: Bad Company loading multiplayer map 19 seconds.

Samsung 850 EVO SSD AHCI
PC startup push button 30 seconds to active.

crysis 3 startup 46 seconds.

crysis 3 loading multiplayer map 25 seconds.

BF3 loading origin and web browser 14 seconds.

BF3 loading multiplayer map 37 seconds.

Battlefield: Bad Company loading multiplayer map 16 seconds.

I have both a new PC with HDD and 2 with SSD. The only things I notice with a SSD boot time and windows updates are faster also installing software, surfing the web is the same as the HDD.

SSD vs HDD
I did it with a stopwatch and each test I did 4 times.

All test were from system bootup.

HDD Raptor AHCI
PC startup push button 50 seconds to active.

crysis 3 startup 1:07 minute.

crysis 3 loading multiplayer map 41 seconds.

BF3 loading origin and web browser 44 seconds.

BF3 loading multiplayer map 1:40 minute.

Battlefield: Bad Company loading multiplayer map 19 seconds.

Samsung 850 EVO SSD AHCI
PC startup push button 30 seconds to active.

crysis 3 startup 46 seconds.

crysis 3 loading multiplayer map 25 seconds.

BF3 loading origin and web browser 14 seconds.

BF3 loading multiplayer map 37 seconds.

Battlefield: Bad Company loading multiplayer map 16 seconds.
I haven't looked if there is a way to measure games loading, but there is http://www.greatis.com/bootracer/ for boot times. I usually use it to see the difference on boot times @ different clocks, but it has other features for tweaking your boot times. Also i space out too easily to use a stop watch :D

Bootrace.PNG

^^This is why I mentioned bootracer. Ive got a Sammy 850 Evo also. I realize that there can be a large difference in boot times based on what is loaded at startup but that just seemed a but too long to me. I was just throwing it out there.

Edit: The big drop off you see in the pic is because I was working on pushing the clocks up and it was causing hell to my past 20-30 boots. 30-36 seconds is the usual range

With good reason, the discussion so far has been about speed. SSDs also are dead silent unlike some/most platters. Also, very small idle power usage. And a lappy style footprint in your case, implying you can get better air circulation, utilize a smaller case, and even carry one in a pocket as easily as a mobile phone (not that you'd do much of that, but still.....).

Yep, plenty of empirical methods (read: that arent a stop watch) that can do boot times....

I don't like loading programs into the windows regretsy that are not needed in creasing loading times and posibley screw up windows..;)

I don't like loading programs into the windows regretsy that are not needed in creasing loading times and posibley screw up windows..;)

registry

increasing

possibly

Bothering my OCD.

Personally, I use the stopwatch functionality on my wristwatch. Just because, when it gets to the desktop it isn't necessarily finished loading all programs (and a boot time program might not measure boot times in the same way that I do. i.e. It may consider just being at the desktop as being fully loaded, even if programs are still loading in the background.)

Run it once and uninstall it. Simple.
Little programs like that leave reg keys behind like a puppy that needs potty training. This is part of why an OS needs to be reinstalled periodically.

Which is to say, you both have a point :)

This is what running a reg cleaner once a year is for...

PC's today, unless you are having a problem, really doesn't need that. Not to mention I re-image when things go south. Also simple if you have a proper backup and re-imaging plan. ;)

This is what running a reg cleaner once a year is for...

PC's today, unless you are having a problem, really doesn't need that. Not to mention I re-image when things go south. Also simple if you have a proper backup and re-imaging plan. ;)

I have used registry cleaners before and eventually something gets screwed up, then I have to do a clean install. Nothing boots faster than a clean install, that is why I don't like registry bloat.;)

Back