• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I wait for the lower end Ryzen chips to come out or just buy now?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vishera

Okay, so I'm planning out a cheap-ish PC right now and I'm looking to get roughly i5 range of performance. I was looking at either an i5-6500 or a used 4460. My question is, should I wait for Ryzen 5 and 3? When do they drop? I have an i5-2500 system that I've been using for the time being and see no issues except I'd like modern I/O options such as USB 3/3.1, DDR4, etc. All those new fancy things. I don't want to spend the money on Ryzen 7, besides I think preorders are gonna eat up stock for a while. I don't do anything fancy, just play Minecraft, Witcher, Assassin's Creed, Dolphin Emulator, other console emulators for older systems. Miiiiiiiight video edit a small amount every now and then.

All I have heard is Q2 for the Ryzen 5/3 release. Basically sometime before July which is only a few months. The 4c/8t looks very affordable the only question in my mind anyway is top speed but the IPC is there.

I'd get a 1700 and a cheap-ish board. Some of the X370 boards are around $140 or so and some B350 boards are around $100. Should still be able to get a fair overclock out of the non-X Ryzens, assuming you want to do that.

I'd get a 1700 and a cheap-ish board. Some of the X370 boards are around $140 or so and some B350 boards are around $100. Should still be able to get a fair overclock out of the non-X Ryzens, assuming you want to do that.
Thing is I don't even remotely need 8 cores. If I bought that processor I'd never see it go over 50℅ usage at the most. I've decided to go Intel for now and Ryzen later. If nothing else, I can keep the Intel board and CPU for backups.

Back