• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New SSD not liked by Asus P5W DH

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IAMMESOIAM

Registered
Hi all first time here and NOT a techie so please be gentle

I have just fitted my first SSD (Samsung evo 250gb) into my auld P5W DH and was expecting great things. The transfer of data/OS from the old HD was faultless using the software that Samsung supplied …..however the drives no quicker and a little web browsing tells me I have to set AHCI mode in bios.

Unfortunately when I set AHCI under IDI config in bios, upon reboot windows tells me that it “ran into problems and has to restart” repeatedly

Samsung Magician says:-

ACHI mode is deactivated
and
Unable to detect sata interface details

Help please…. :cheers:

What OS. are you using? If it's not a hassle just reinstall windows with the BIOS set to AHCI. If it's going to be a pain to reinstall windows follow this guide if using Win 7

Actually you do not even need to reinstall windows. The problem you are having is due to windows not knowing to look for the AHCI drive. SO before you change the bios setting you need to tweak your registry file... then restart into bios and change the setting then load back into windows.

http://winaero.com/blog/switch-from-ide-to-achi-after-installing-windows-7-or-windows-8/

Should get you explain on how to do it. I ran into this problem a long time ago on a 2600k build. The fix is rather simple so at least that is a plus :-D

Windows 10.

I was hoping not to have to reinstall OS completely especially as I have a window 7 disc and took advantage of MS bombarding me with the free windows 10 upgrade.

Also I’m away from home at the moment and windows 7 disc is not at hand

Hey thanks for the links guys….I’ll give them a go and let you know how I get on :) :beer:

- - - Updated - - -

Ahhhh…just realised they are not for windows 10

Hummmm…..keep getting “bededit” is not recognised as an internal or external command, operable programme or batch file :-/

All sorted guys thanks for all your help…..my mistake my poor auls eyes read bededit and not bcdedit

Not as fast as I hoped but m/b only supports sata 2 and not 3…

But great workaround…cheers :clap:

:welcome: to the Forums :)

Personally I would prepare to do a clean Windows 10 install. You can create an install USB flash drive or DVD disk. It is so much easier to do when you are prepared for a clean install instead of being forced to do one.

I did 4 Windows 10 free upgrades and 3 of them forced me to do a clean install. Just sayin...

Back