• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX 1080 Ti with PCI-e 2.0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hussain

Registered
My motherboard is "Asus P6X58D Premium" with the specs below:

Intel® LGA1366 Platform & Intel® X58/ICH10R chipset
Next Gen 32nm 6-Core Processor Ready!
True USB3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s Support!
ASUS True 16+2 Phase Power Design
3-Way SLI & Quad-GPU CrossFireX Support!

It has PCI-Express 2.0 and 1.0 only.

Is GTX 1080 Ti Compatible with my motherboard???

Yes, PCI-e 3 is backward compatible.

Difference in FPS? 1 to 2%.

What resolution do you play at?

Might be worth to get a 1070 or 1080 instead and upgrade the CPU+mobo+ram with a Ryzen platform though...

i will play at 1080P and mainly for VR Gaming, i still don't have the 4K screen yet.

It will be a big investment to to have another build. is Ryzen faster than Intel?

Ryzen is about the same IPC as Haswell-E (maybe a bit higher). You'll have ****load of review in a couple of hours (when NDA ends). But you get a 8cores/16 threads CPU for $329. 150 quids for a MoBo and a 100 for the RAM. WIth the Ti launch, the 1070 should drop significantly and is more than enough for 1080p and VR.

This will create a bottleneck to the moon and back. Waste of investment when it's truly needed elsewhere.

If you have a 144Hz 1080p monitor it is not a waste. I like my fps at 144FPS, however I have to run BF1 on medium.

I think the OP would be lucky to see over 100 fps with any card. If the OP has a 60 Hz monitor a 1070 should cover just about everything. I could be wrong (would not be the first time), but it looks that way to me.

edit: Then again, I imagine it's game dependent. The games I play are mostly heavily GPU dependent, and don't care much at all what CPU I have. World of Warcraft is probably the most stressful game I play.

I was pretty much bottlenecking back when I had my X58 and GTX 680 hydro for a short period of time. Guaranteed once I jumped to the GTX 780 Classified that I"m using 2 now in SLI. All good now since I jumped to X99.

I need it to enjoy VR, I don't want to invest on a new build.
if 1% or 2% then that would be fine for a powerful CARD.
I'm also thinking of "Alienware Graphics Amplifier (9R7XN)"
What do you think guys?

A good GTX 1070 will handle VR. The "Graphics Amplifier" is a $200 box to put an expensive GPU in (sold separately). You already have a motherboard so it seems redundant. In the end, it's your money, so where you spend it is your business. If it were my money, I wouldn't spend it on VR and a $700 GPU for a 5 (?) generations old system. YMMV.

What do you think guys?

You really need to do a bit of research here.

That 'graphics amplifier' is intended for laptops to hook up to when docking. It is not a desktop add on.

Rethink your priorities here.

X58 started almost 10 years ago (2008). I got my first X58 back in 2009. VR won't work well with a system this old.

What do you think guys?

It is 1 or 2% assuming the CPU is not a bottleneck. In your case, with a x58 platform, the CPU is a bottleneck. In a few words, if you would had a PCI-e 3 interface, you would not get more FPS, as the CPU is not powerfull enough to calculate game "logic" as fast as the GPU renders frames.

I did these tests on my machine (top) and my son's (bottom) with the same 1070. It isn't nearly as bad as you would think. I lose 6% to an 6700K clocked at 4.6GHz.

EVGA GTX 1070 SC
GA-X58A-UD7 (Rev. 1.0)
X5660 @ 4.2GHz ($50 CPU on eBay)
16GB DDR3-2400

Firestrike 14,820
http://www.3dmark.com/fs/11940745

EVGA GTX 1070 SC
GA-Z170X-Gaming 7
i7-6700K @ 4.6GHz
16GB Ripjaws DDR4-2400

Firestrike 15,710
http://www.3dmark.com/fs/11910054