• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE AMD Ryzen 7 1800X CPU Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Great review :thup:

n00b questions of the day : does the auto overclock work like we're used to, as in, only gives the mhz rated or it ramps up until it hits the temp/voltage threshold ? and are those extra always up whenever there's any type of load or only in certain situations like Intel's ? Can we turn off the extra threads to only have the 4/6/8 strong cores ?

Also i assume we turn off any type of boost/power savings when overclocking like we've always done or simply use the profiles that come with the Asus boards :confused:

Last edited:
Thanks Kenrou!

By "auto overclocking" I assume you mean XFR? There's a speed table in the review of what it does.
If you mean typical motherboard auto overclocking, that is the same as it always has been.

Yes, threads/cores can be selectively disabled.

XFR and boost automatically disable when setting multiplier manually.

Awesome thank you again :thup: Yep, brainfarted on the name. Methinks ill wait for the 6c/12t to see the differences in clock speeds :clap:

Well done Austin.

Just curious about your thoughts on the gaming 5 motherboard?

With all the issues Gigabyte had in previous boards your thoughts and opinions would be very appreciated.

What's the max temps on these guys? Has AMD released any guidance?

I've been asking them about the max die/core temp and haven't gotten a straight answer, I was hoping to include that with the review.

Well done Austin.

Just curious about your thoughts on the gaming 5 motherboard?

With all the issues Gigabyte had in previous boards your thoughts and opinions would be very appreciated.

Thanks bassnut!

Seems to be a solid board. I had no stability issues at 4GHz 8c16t with 2x8GB DDR4-3200 15-15-15-35.

I've been asking them about the max die/core temp and haven't gotten a straight answer, I was hoping to include that with the review.

Interesting. On one note, max tcase for XFR/boost was 60C right? Then again that doesn't mean it has to stay under that, AMD could've just set a safe number, right?

Great review, I really enjoyed the depth provided about the new tech.
One little suggestion - can we start using DIFFERENT colors for the graphs? Shades of gray makes it VERY hard to interpret.

Interesting. On one note, max tcase for XFR/boost was 60C right? Then again that doesn't mean it has to stay under that, AMD could've just set a safe number, right?

Correct, tCase max is 60°C. Note, tCase =/= Core Temp.

Nice work, Austin :)

Thanks Janus!

Great review, I really enjoyed the depth provided about the new tech.
One little suggestion - can we start using DIFFERENT colors for the graphs? Shades of gray makes it VERY hard to interpret.

Appreciate it! Twas very nice to get into some actual new tech, instead of refreshes.

I was going to change the graph colors for this review, but ran out of time :(
I'll likely stick with grays for the non-review items for comparisons, but put more differential between them.

Yup, tracking. Does monitoring software report tCase at all? Might be a safe number to stay under until further guidance from AMD. Just thinking all the people with new toys might not want to blow them up on day 1 [emoji14]

No, Ryzen Master reports core/die temp.

ATMINSIDE, send this up to your AMD contacts:

What kind of Neural Network architecture is used in the front end instruction fetch/decode stage? How many neurons are utilized, and does each CPU have the same number of neural nets?

From AMD:
"The neural net is a perceptron hash based net, using multiple levels, and is consistent across all Ryzen processors as it is a per core implementation. Further details in the architecture deck."

As soon as I have the architecture deck I'll let you know.

Back