• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE AMD Ryzen 7 1800X CPU Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

It feels like it has been years since we've had an AMD CPU on hand for a review, because it has! The last part we saw was an APU back in 2014. Since those years ago, AMD has come out with a completely new architecture, moved to a 14 nm process, gotten rid of those "modules" we've grown accustomed to, and are boasting a self-proclaimed 52% IPC gain over their previous CPU. Desktop processors now range from four cores without SMT (Simultaneous Multi-Threading) all the way up to eight cores with SMT. All of the processors have a vastly reduced TDP with the highest SKU coming in at 95 W (just four watts higher than the i7-7700K). This is a huge improvement compared to the 220 W the top Vishera CPU pulled down and the 125 W of the FX-8350.

Today, specifically, we'll be talking about the Ryzen 7 series, the flagship 1800X CPU in the lineup. IPC improvements are huge over Excavator, thread count is up (depending how you view modules the core count is up also), and I know all of us enthusiasts are excited to see the new challenger who has been looming. That said, enough from me, let's get to the chip.

Click here to view the article.

Great work Austin, Ryzen looks very impressive.

Appreciate it guys.

I'm hoping we'll get an R5 1600X sample as well, I'd love to see how it compares as well.

Great review, and have only skimmed through at this point.

Really interesting comments from Devs regarding core count and optimisations moving forward.

Will not be going with less than a 6C/12T after reading that.

Appreciate it guys.

I'm hoping we'll get an R5 1600X sample as well, I'd love to see how it compares as well.

Eagerly await that.

I've noticed that in the review the 1500X is listed as a 4C/8T? Previously it was rumoured that the 1500 was a 6C/12T and the 4C/8T was in fact the 1400X/1300?

Did AMD clarify the chip range and names?

ATMINSIDE, send this up to your AMD contacts:

What kind of Neural Network architecture is used in the front end instruction fetch/decode stage? How many neurons are utilized, and does each CPU have the same number of neural nets?

ATMINSIDE, send this up to your AMD contacts:

What kind of Neural Network architecture is used in the front end instruction fetch/decode stage? How many neurons are utilized, and does each CPU have the same number of neural nets?

Done :)

Awesome job ATM! And thanks for answering my questions in the review link threads! As always, a gentleman and a scholar!
Thanks! I'm glad to help get answers out there :)

Don't know that I would go as far as gentleman and scholar though! :rofl:

Hah I just mean because not many people are hands-on yet [emoji14]

Back