• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My time with Ryzen

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cdawall

0301171640a-hdr.jpg

To start off I am overall very impressed with the product, however the thing that left me angry was the feeling that it was released before it was done. To start things off I had a retail sample board and CPU no ES markings just retail style, but the CPU and board arrived pre-used and updated to a newer BIOS than what ships to the retail market.

0227171412-hdr.jpg

0227171413-hdr.jpg

Couple of distinct things to notice here the new bracket for AM4 works just fine with the older AM3 coolers that use the normal mounting style. I went ahead and tested this with the older generation Wraith cooler.

0227171540-hdr.jpg

However it turns out the Asus is way ahead of that and has double drilled the board for AM3's older style. Just a heads up using the other hole set is a bit particular with coolers. The height is not the same so I ran into an issue when using EK's waterblock where if you tighten the fasteners more than one to two turns the system would not post. Be very careful when selecting coolers for these systems and if it doesn't post back the screws out.

0227172029-hdr-crop.jpg

Finished product yielded excellent temperatures. Under load the CPU did not exceed 61C with an overclock on both the CPU and GPU. This is using the standard EK 280 kit with a couple modifications, using the shorter reservoir to clear the card and downgraded the fans for LED Thermaltake rings. There is next to no noise produced and the BIOS is set to extreme silence.

0227172014-hdr-crop100.jpg

0301172149-hdr-crop.jpg

0301172149a-hdr-crop.jpg

Now onto the actual usage of the parts. I went ahead and stuck to the normal batch of benchmarks found on hwbot. Performance was all done at my maximum stable clock of [email protected], ram@3200 18-17-17-29 1T. Maximum temperatures again were 61C during all of the testing and maximum power pulled at the wall for the whole system under CPU only testing was 260w.

cpuz-ryzen.png

x265-1080p-ryzen.png

x265-4k-ryzen.png

cb15-singlecore-ryzen.png

cb15-multicore-ryzen.png

wprime155-ryzen.png

superpi-ryzen.png

Getting this unit stable is what brings me to the "unfinished product" belief the BIOS was nothing short of a joke. I have played with some pre-release ECS products that had a more complete BIOS than this does. Half of the settings wouldn't save and the first board I had just up and died on me. This led to the swap to an actual retail board that wouldn't post until it was flashed using the Asus crash free utility. Currently the only useful BIOS I have found is 0601 and 0702 I wouldn't bother with any of the others.

It is a common issue to set something in the BIOS have it reboot and appear to be at that setting in the BIOS and end up in windows at stock settings. This is especially true with the ram. The ram on this is just a joke it is lacking all tertiary timing control and of the timings that were provided Cas Latency doesn't even work. If you set the ram speed expect to change it to one lower, reboot and then set what you actually wanted otherwise it will stick at 2133mhz.

After all of that nonsense I was lucky to know chew* who lovingly informed me of the memory hole that exists for 3200-3600mhz. That fixed a handful of stability problems I was having and led to my final choice of clocks (40.75x100). I had been testing the unit at 40.25x101 prior. I went as far as 362x for memory speed at 18-19-19-39 1T which is the rating of this kit, it would not stay stable in super pi 32m so it isn't worth really noting outside of one strange little thing. Remember when I said I was using a "retail sample" CPU? Well the actual retail CPU I grabbed which was a 3 week newer chip actually couldn't even POST with the ram at 36xx. That CPU was set aside and all testing was completed on the original sample provided.

I have provided a handful of 3dmark Firestrike runs as well each run was done once with the GPU at stock and once with the GPU overclocked. All GPU overclocked runs had the GPU boosting to 2138mhz on the core and ram at 2250. Maximum load temp on the GPU was 45C, maximum power consumed was 370w at the wall for the full system.

firestrike-stock-gpu-ryzen.png

firestrike-oc-gpu-ryzen.png

firestrike-extreme-stock-gpu-ryzen.png

firestrike-extreme-oc-gpu-ryzen.png

firestrike-ultra-stock-gpu-ryzen.png

firestrike-ultra-oc-gpu-ryzen.png

My overall impression of the platform is wait a few weeks for the kinks to be pushed out. Right now it is not ready for retail sales in my opinion. Performance however was excellent. All of the chips regardless of model seem to clock the same, so save a couple bucks and grab the R7 1700 and use that saved money for a good cooler.

Also big thanks to chew* on XS as per usual he was able to walk me through some difficulties I had with the new product.

Last edited:
Everything was opened and tested because AMD pre-tested all review samples to make sure they had no DOA parts. Mine were the same way.

One other note, to my knowledge the only motherboard with dual AM3/AM4 mounting holes is the CVIH.

Everything was opened and tested because AMD pre-tested all review samples to make sure they had no DOA parts. Mine were the same way.

One other note, to my knowledge the only motherboard with dual AM3/AM4 mounting holes is the CVIH.

Interesting, so no need of AM4 mounting kit?

Edit: 8 cores/16 [email protected] (maybe 4.2?)GHz under water for... $600 CPU+MoBo! A dream for picture, music, video editors! WHen you need to triple that for an Intel platform... :rofl:

For those ppl yes it's a great system but a 7700k at half the price for games is still way better on price/fps.

Or even my current CPU for that matter

Edit: 8 cores/16 [email protected] (maybe 4.2?)GHz under water for... $600 CPU+MoBo! A dream for picture, music, video editors! WHen you need to triple that for an Intel platform... :rofl:

Correct.

For those ppl yes it's a great system but a 7700k at half the price for games is still way better on price/fps.

Or even my current CPU for that matter

7700K is not half the price of a 1700 or 1700X. Actually, it isn't even half the price of an 1800X.
Anyone who can benefit from more cores (read: anyone who does photo/video editing, live streaming, 3D CAD, etc) any of these three will smoke a 7700K.

From everything I've read, Lightroom does not benefit from the extra cores since it's not optimized for it...IDK. I only use LR and scantly use any video editing. As much as I wanted a 1700, I wanted an mITX build now...so I guess I'll be building a Ryzen box sometime in July? ;)

Remember I am only at 4075 under water. Temperatures are great as well, but still not hitting 4.1 as of right now. Don't know if that is a silicon or BIOS growing pains.

Correct.

7700K is not half the price of a 1700 or 1700X. Actually, it isn't even half the price of an 1800X.
Anyone who can benefit from more cores (read: anyone who does photo/video editing, live streaming, 3D CAD, etc) any of these three will smoke a 7700K.

I agree encoding it will smoke it .

Gaming from what I have seen they only keep pace with Haswell at stock.

In Canada 7700k is 460+120=580
1800x = 680 +230= 910

But when you factor in mb Intel can use a cheep z270 and hit 5ghz
AMD x370 cost more so it equals out to almost half.

And my point was strickly gameing.

If you want less than 50% compare to a 7600k .. as it still beats the 1800x in Games

With the 1700 it's not as bad . But still 230 more. For less fps
7600k 320+120=440
1700 440+230=670

I'm not trying to rain on this parade ( I'm happy)
Just for mine and most ppl I know a Intel is still much better for gaming

Last edited:
Remember I am only at 4075 under water. Temperatures are great as well, but still not hitting 4.1 as of right now. Don't know if that is a silicon or BIOS growing pains.

Something tells me that after a few bios revisions, those chips will hit higher clocks...

- - - Updated - - -

Correct.

I believe a 1700, which seems to overclock as well as a 1800X sells for the same price than a 7700K, in Europe at least.

I wouldn't even go so far to call these "gaming processors" for anyone who speaks to "just gaming" when talking about the Ryzen 8 cores. These are more HEDT processors that CAN game well, not the other way around.

The 6/12 will be more of a mix of the two, especially at their prices. And IMO the 4/8 and 4/4 units will be the "gaming" and budget processors that can also do a bit of mixed use stuff, if they can match or beat the gaming performance of the more expensive models but at a lower cost. The 1800x and to some extent, the 1700x aren't really attractive for straight gaming builds to me. The 1700, maybe somewhat for mixed use/streaming/gamer/do-it-all person, but at that price for strictly gaming the crown still goes to the 7700k and to a lesser extent, the 7600k.

Cdawall, I had a question and a request:

Question: Does your retail CPU run anything above 2666?

Request: would it be possible to disable 4 cores and see how it overclocks then? I'm interested to see if it seems the whole line will suffer from the low clock ceiling or merely the 8 core ones. Granted this wouldn't be a true test of a 4 core, but it could give us some idea.

Cdawall, I had a question and a request:

Question: Does your retail CPU run anything above 2666?

Request: would it be possible to disable 4 cores and see how it overclocks then? I'm interested to see if it seems the whole line will suffer from the low clock ceiling or merely the 8 core ones. Granted this wouldn't be a true test of a 4 core, but it could give us some idea.

Retail chip was fine at 3200 I didn't test over that outside of trying to hit the same settings the other one did for 3600+

I will give the 4 core clocking a shot, but I doubt it changes much in mine.

Retail chip was fine at 3200 I didn't test over that outside of trying to hit the same settings the other one did for 3600+

I will give the 4 core clocking a shot, but I doubt it changes much in mine.
I'd thank your post but I've run outta thanks for the day [emoji14]

Maybe when the BIOS issues are resolved we can see more on that front, or even the all cores front. I guess it's not too abnormal. There is a reason the clock speeds on the lower core count CPUs is lowish as well. The question I have is it the architecture itself to blame or merely the silicone and how the build the n and p-type materials. As far as I know, that can have a huge effect.

cdawall -- what revision is your Crosshair (shows it right below the board name, right above the second PCIe x16 slot)? Mine's Rev 1.03, and I'm hoping they've improved it since the earlier revisions. And have you tried the 5704 beta BIOS?

I'll be starting my build tomorrow night I think. Got all the parts already, just didn't have time to start yet. And I got the AM4 mounting kit for free with my new EK-Supremacy EVO CPU block, which should eliminate any fitting problems.

There is a new bios, I have not changed to it. I'll check revision when I go into work again. I'm swapping turbos tomorrow...

Back