• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Now that Ryzen had been released, how do you think it'll affect used Broadwell-E

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You say that like everyone has a Microcenter nearby. You also have to factor in sales tax.
Fine, then go to Newegg. With 20% off its still $360. And don't pay the tax and if you have to return it, then pay a15% restocking fee. Whatever floats your boat.

Newegg.jpg

Fine, then go to Newegg. With 20% off its still $360. And don't pay the tax and if you have to return it, then pay a15% restocking fee. Whatever floats your boat.

View attachment 189131

Great deal until PAX East ends :thup:

Still falls behind in multi-threaded, if someone can actually utilize 8c16t too.

Great deal until PAX East ends :thup:

Still falls behind in multi-threaded, if someone can actually utilize 8c16t too.

Look I'm going to be honest AMD is not going to get any kind of traction with the customers that matter. At work they're buying 4P Haswell-E 2U servers like candy for all the VMware they plan on running and all of them are the 20c Xeons. I'm not talking one here and one there. I'm talking dozens of cabinets multipled by dozens of offices that plan on racking these from floor to ceiling. We for example are getting 10 cabinets this year alone and maybe another 6-7 every year from here on. We're using 44RU cabs so you do the math on how many 4P systems that is. Each cab they're estimating could be as high as 8KW.

One would think that this would be great for AMD to swoop in and steal a multi-multi-million dollar sale. Nope. It isn't just about threads or who has the best single thread performance. It has to things that don't matter to you and I like PCI-E lane resources for SAN arrays, quad memory channels to split VM resources, the way QPI is structured to allow multi-core resource sharing which allows over-provisioning of VMs etc etc etc.

Ryzen may be disruptive in retail channels... maybe but in the enterprise space? No chance. If you think otherwise you're not living in reality.

Look I'm going to be honest AMD is not going to get any kind of traction with the customers that matter. At work they're buying 4P Haswell-E 2U servers like candy for all the VMware they plan on running and all of them are the 20c Xeons. One would think that this would be great for AMD to swoop in and steal a multi-multi-million dollar sale. Nope. It isn't just about threads or who has the best single thread performance. It has to things that don't matter to you and I like PCI-E lane resources for SAN arrays, quad memory channels to split VM resources, the way QPI is structured to allow multi-core resource sharing which allows over-provisioning of VMs etc etc etc.

Ryzen may be disruptive in retail channels... maybe but in the enterprise space? No chance. If you think otherwise you're not living in reality.

Ryzen =/= server parts, it is desktop only.
Naples will be for server/workstation applications, targeting things like those 4P servers your work is buying.

Also, way to bring up server solutions in a discussion about desktop users... apples to oranges.

Ryzen =/= server parts, it is desktop only.
Naples will be for server/workstation applications, targeting things like those 4P servers your work is buying.

Also, way to bring up server solutions in a discussion about desktop users... apples to oranges.

No it's really not. You don't survive as a company selling $600 CPUs to retail space; large enterprise customers are what keep the lights on, Intel gets it AMD never did. Even if every gamer in the country bought one that's a drop in the bucket compared to the hundreds of millions ISPs shell out, plus you have the service contracts that go with it. Hell AMD can't even get the bugs out of their CPU design before it launches, look at all the scheduler issues folks are seeing. TLB errata, ring a bell? This kind of thing scares large customers away from AMD and as long as AMD is purely a retail player they're screwed. All the gaming performance excuses I hear are about how bad windows is. Well they're the main SOC in the Xbox which is based on Windows 10; you mean to tell me they can't get it right even with essentially exclusive access to M$ but Intel can?

AMD continues to get endless apologies and excuses and yet these are the same people that rightfully ridicule Apple. I'm not saying Ryzen is bad per say, what I am saying is that their execution is horrible and until that changes they're still going to be at the bottom of the barrel and will never command a premium.

- - - Updated - - -

After couple of days since premiere I think that most Broadwell-E/Haswell-E users don't really think about switching to Ryzen and people who are using computers for work will stick to Intel at least till all issues with Ryzen will be solved. I just don't think that anyone who has knowledge about all current issues would be so dumb to buy Ryzen for work. I'm not saying that Ryzen is bad, it's just to early to say if it's good.
So who may buy Ryzen ? Mainly those who believe in popular reviews in the web as there you won't see any info about issues with this platform. In almost all reviews you can read only how good is Ryzen and how cheap it is comparing to Intel 8 cores+. Most stuff in the web is like AMD marketing talk and nothing else.

See he gets it ^^

lol it's so early in Ryzen's life.

This is like kicking someone while they are down..........

That is quite true but what I think people forget is that most developers are working on trying to code down to the metal as much as physically possible. AMD is both competing in a battle of ideas and market share and it's one they're losing sadly. It would be one thing if it were essentially a carbon copy of Haswell-E at a cheaper price but it isn't. The uArch is completely different and through their own admission has to be coded differently to take advantage of the added performance. AMD doesn't have the clout to get away with something like that, Intel does. Why would a sysadmin working for a large enterprise customer roll the dice this chip right now given most companies keep their equipment 5-10 years? Hell we're only now just getting rid of San Diego based Opteron servers... think about that. All Intel has to do is drop prices enough to entice these folks to stay the course, especially if their software development requires proprietary designs that Intel offers.

AMD is in a no win situation in this regard, the added black eye is it's gaming performance is NOT on par with Skylake much less Kaby or Cannon. I totally get why people like these chips just like there were a few folks who swore by the FX chips citing "smoothness". But the reality is they've dropped the ball yet again and are going to be moved back to the bottom of the barrel inside of a year.

Back