• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Now that Ryzen had been released, how do you think it'll affect used Broadwell-E

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vishera

With the 1800X, 1700X, and 1700 released and having shown that they completely match Broadwell-E, do you guys think it'll be any more difficult for current Broadwell-E owners to sell their processors? Would you still be willing to buy Broadwell-E used if the price was low enough, and if so, how low would it have to be for you to consider it?

I would not put more than $/€500 in a used 8 cores Broadwell-E when I can get the same performance with a $330 CPU, new.

I would not put more than $/€500 in a used 8 cores Broadwell-E when I can get the same performance with a $330 CPU, new.
Yeah, the way I see it is people would still be able to sell for a couple hundred because you get quad channel RAM and thunderbolt, plus you can always play the Intel fanboys. I personally won't buy Broadwell-E at all now, I was considering a used 6800k but now I won't even be doing that. Glad to see AMD back in the game, can't wait for the Ryzen 5 and 3 lineups.

My 5820k is worth peanus except for benchers (lapped, no more warranty...), so no sour feeling.

I'm pretty sure I took a hit on the resale value of my Skylake, too. LOL

I'm glad I got a killer deal on my 6700k, I won't feel too bad when the resale plummets now.
I can't wait for all the Ryzen chips to come out and we get real world usage comparisons. It's a great time in the PC market again, finally!

Now that the reviews have come out, I remain unconvinced used Intel HEDT will shift in price that much. Anyone who has one is unlikely to straight replace it with Ryzen, or sell it unless they replace it with something significant better. That isn't Ryzen. Skylake-E or KL-E would probably have more impact than Ryzen on used pricing.

While I still have yet to receive my Ryzen and bench it in the uses I have for it, the indirect indicators confirm it is just not there in FPU performance. If I'm wrong on that, I'll happily snap up all the cheap Haswell-E/Broadwell-E processors as they'll be so much faster than any Ryzen at that task.

Now that the reviews have come out, I remain unconvinced used Intel HEDT will shift in price that much. Anyone who has one is unlikely to straight replace it with Ryzen, or sell it unless they replace it with something significant better. That isn't Ryzen. Skylake-E or KL-E would probably have more impact than Ryzen on used pricing.

While I still have yet to receive my Ryzen and bench it in the uses I have for it, the indirect indicators confirm it is just not there in FPU performance. If I'm wrong on that, I'll happily snap up all the cheap Haswell-E/Broadwell-E processors as they'll be so much faster than any Ryzen at that task.
The used market isn't just people upgrading though. People liquidating parts, etc might also sell some spare parts they have on hand but aren't using.

I think the used Broadwell-E price will come down to match the Ryzen.

Hihihi!!! A 6900K for $329!

It reminds me of the last sentence of Johnny Rotten on the last Sex Pistols show in Winterlan/1978, "No Fun!": “Ever get the feeling you’ve been cheated?”

After couple of days since premiere I think that most Broadwell-E/Haswell-E users don't really think about switching to Ryzen and people who are using computers for work will stick to Intel at least till all issues with Ryzen will be solved. I just don't think that anyone who has knowledge about all current issues would be so dumb to buy Ryzen for work. I'm not saying that Ryzen is bad, it's just to early to say if it's good.
So who may buy Ryzen ? Mainly those who believe in popular reviews in the web as there you won't see any info about issues with this platform. In almost all reviews you can read only how good is Ryzen and how cheap it is comparing to Intel 8 cores+. Most stuff in the web is like AMD marketing talk and nothing else.

I don't think Ryzen is the problem. A new architecture and a new chipset, both unlike what everybody is used to from AMD, seems to have caught the motherboard manufacturers off guard. Look at Asus. A top tier model seems to be failing across the board. Asus was THE board to buy for AMD's last generation of chips. AM3+ boards needed a back up generator for the VRM section, and I'm guessing the X370 chipset has a quirl or two of its own. I still have faith.

It also seems like windows is also contributing to the issues. That being said motherboards are the majority of the issue with this launch. It is all brand new on the AMD front, and TBH the motherboard comapnies always kinda back burner AMD parts, and I feel like this is a continuation of that discrimination(not unjustified though, AMD sells less units). I think a more diligent cooperation between AMD and the mobo companies to get these parts up to snuff in time for the Q1 launch would have mitigated alot of this.

That said if I had the cash right this moment between a used 6core I7 or a Ryzen7 right now for the same price Id probably take the Ryzen. I highly doubt that you could fine an 8 core I7 for Ryzen money, but if I did it would be a no brainer Id be on the intel ship. I do think that Ryzen will reduce the demand for used high end I7 chips though.

I don't feel sour about my 6800k purchase sine I was able to get mine for $299 in December. I haven't had any issues and it dominates in every game giving significant gains over my old 4790k. I am truly glad AMD is in back in the game but I was disappointed to see lower than expected performance at 1080p gaming. I understand that the Ryzen 7 series is a productivity processor but the gaming results are still lacking in lower resolution with heavy CPU load.

That said if I had the cash right this moment between a used 6core I7 or a Ryzen7 right now for the same price Id probably take the Ryzen. I highly doubt that you could fine an 8 core I7 for Ryzen money, but if I did it would be a no brainer Id be on the intel ship.

This just gave me an idea of something I can test... I have a dual Xeon E5-2650 system which cost less than the 1700 processor by itself. Ok, the Xeons are pretty old and can't be overclocked, but if we look at it from a system perspective, it might not be so different...

After couple of days since premiere I think that most Broadwell-E/Haswell-E users don't really think about switching to Ryzen and people who are using computers for work will stick to Intel at least till all issues with Ryzen will be solved. I just don't think that anyone who has knowledge about all current issues would be so dumb to buy Ryzen for work. I'm not saying that Ryzen is bad, it's just to early to say if it's good.
So who may buy Ryzen ? Mainly those who believe in popular reviews in the web as there you won't see any info about issues with this platform. In almost all reviews you can read only how good is Ryzen and how cheap it is comparing to Intel 8 cores+. Most stuff in the web is like AMD marketing talk and nothing else.

To be honest, for the average user I think the experience with Ryzen will probably be fine. A lot of the issues right now are related to overclocking / higher memory speeds. If you just buy a standard board and run it at stock with 2133 MHz memory, you probably won't notice any problems. Things like being a few FPS slower in 1080P probably won't be visible in actual use. I'm on my Ryzen CPU right now and everything is working fine, so it's not like the system is unusable.

Hopefully anyone interested in pushing their system to the max will have done a little more homework than just going down to their local Fry's and putting into their cart.

Hopefully anyone interested in pushing their system to the max will have done a little more homework than just going down to their local Fry's and putting into their cart.

But, that's what makes a new build like Christmas! Is it socks? An R/C car? Your way takes all the adventure out of spending thousands of dollars. Although, I may have just solved several ongoing problems with my life by reading that..... :rofl:

Well you can go to Microcenter any day of the week and get a brand Broadwell-E for $360, $30 more than the Ryzen 7 1700 and $40 less than the Ryzen 7 1700X.

Broadwell-E.jpg

Hasn't really changed anything here price wise from Newegg.ca

8 core.JPG

Too bad they don't carry the cheaper i7-6800K up in the Great White North.

Back