• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer Keeps shutting off

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Blackldr

Registered
I have a my gaming rig that is under a year old. Motherboard is the sabertooth 990fx. I have a AMD 9590 with a self contained water cooler. When i start up my pc it'll be fine for the first 20-30 minutes. then it'll lock up and i have to restart it. when i go to restart it'll start the Post test but will turn off again. when i initally looked this up i was told it was the power supply which i swapped out. Still having the wrong problem. wondering if its the processor or the motherboard. any help would be appreciated bang head

Underclock the CPU.

Full system specs will help us help you.

It sounds like it's overheating. Have you done any temp monitoring?

I can't get it to stay on long enough to do a temp test, it'll be on for 5 minutes, then crash. When i go to restart it it'll shut back down during the post. like flipping off the power. i've already replaced the PS.. I turned off the turbo in the bios and had it underclocked. I feel the two cables on the cooler, and one is hot one is cold but i can feel the pumping...

Do you have air lock in your water system? If ii is working properly you can feel little or no difference in temp between the inlet and the outlet hoses. It is a closed system and it reaches and equilibrium pretty quickly where the whole system pretty much is the same temp. Tip the computer case side to side and front to back to try to dislodge the bubbles in the radiator.

Also, check your water block mount and TIM spread. Maybe the water block is not making good contact with the CPU top.

You should be able to get some temp readings in 5 minutes of uptime. Just immediately load HWMonitor (non pro version) as soon as the Windows desktop loads and look at the package temp line.

Am I mistaking but I thought the Sabertooth wasn't 220w rated

I thought the only boards offically supported for 220 were the Extreme7,Crosshair and ....... damn I forgot the other one

Am I mistaking but I thought the Sabertooth wasn't 220w rated

I thought the only boards offically supported for 220 were the Extreme7,Crosshair and ....... damn I forgot the other one
And the Sabertooth.

It must be sabertooth R2 or greater. Original Sabertooth does not work and sometimes will POST or go into Windows. But any major load will flip the OCP on the VRMs.

ok guys sorry for the long delay been working hard in my IT job. Well no compacitors are swollen so lucky there.

Was it overclocked?
NOPE!!!

You should be able to get some temp readings in 5 minutes of uptime. Just immediately load HWMonitor (non pro version) as soon as the Windows desktop loads and look at the package temp line.

I can't get into it fast enough to turn anything on

how about pulling the clock back to 4.0 @1.35 vcore and seeing if it will boot please.

Pics

I attached the two pics I could upload when I started up it was already at 104 after a restart it went to 134 F
It appears to have a solid connection,
I can't get it to load long enough to run MEMtest. 20170326_121216.jpg 20170326_121208_001.jpg

OK guys so i went so far as clearing out and reapplying the thermal paste (artic with silver) I Replaced a couple of the CPU mount screws hoping for a snugger fit, and it has allowed me for now to get into the pc(actually sending from it now) but i went right in and turned on the temp monitoring and under just a couple of things like youtube and no gaming yet, but the temp right now is at 60C (not sure why you need it in c/f but whatever) It is working for the most part, but i need to make sure this wont happen again. Maybe in a few weeks i'll invest in a better cooling rig than the Corsair h100I. LIke i said not totally convinced that its fixed yet

Back