• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rog Strix z270i w/ 7600k - 5.0 stable was achieved...but...temps and voltage?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ekoh

But...I used ASUS extreme OC profile which puts the Voltage on AUTO...the voltage in core voltage was getting up to 1.46-1.49 which I thought was over the CPUs threshold, temps were even climbing up to 99-100* on full p95.....which I immediately got it the heck out of there. I am running an h80i AIO w/ a push pull exhaust setup. W/ Grizzly Kryonaut thermal paste.

Even at idle stock, it sits @ 35*C which is about 5*C higher than what the same setup was on my ASROCK w/ the 7600k..only change is I changed the fans from intake to exhaust as I thought that may help but sounds like I may need to swap them back to intake?

Anyways - anyone fancy with the ROG bios know how to find the LLC and manually set the voltage. This auto voltage is crazy. Auto voltage for 4.8 which is stable goes up to 1.36, which is safe, but gets up into 90*+C. When I manually set the voltage to say a modest 1.285, LLC is causing it to drop down to 1.20 which obviously isn't enough juice to keep it stable in this case, so I error out in P95 after 1 min...

Anyone know of any ROG OC guides or manuals?

P.s. you may remember my old post about trying to get my ASrock w/ the 7600k past 4.5 stable. Sent them both back as it was no dice and decided to stick with my beloved ASUS...last time I'll take a brand jump again.

Stable = Benching in p95 overnight. Been at this for a bit. I've heard there are some better tests out there that don't heat the cpu up as much as prime, but test the same if not better. I game, and that's it. I do some number crunching with SPSS, a little bit of video editing and a whole lotta facebooking.

Idle temps mean crap.

Your load temps are high because you don't have a cooler capable of keeping the CPU cool at those kinds of vCore.
Most you want to set for 24/7 is 1.4V on Kaby. This is also why we say to always OC manually, not on auto.

You're having the vCore drop when set manually because you need to set the LLC higher.
Go to DIGI+ VRM and then set CPU Load-Line Calibration.

While what you're saying makes sense , but - even under load @ 1.4 for the couple of hours before it would error out on p95 on my old setup - my temps would cap @ 70-80*C (see my old thread to verify this) - why they are peaking that at even 1.36ish on this setup is beyond me considering they were lower at a higher v previously...

I'm also concerned with my voltage read out - I've read 3 reviews on this board that all state there is voltage reading issues w/ hwmonitor and cpuZ on this board. Not sure if a BIOS update will fix that. For example I'm set manually @ 1.3v for 4.8 but CPU AND hwmon are spitting out 1.15v - this is with LLC set to 5 which is semi aggressive.

Last edited:
Idle temps mean crap.

Your load temps are high because you don't have a cooler capable of keeping the CPU cool at those kinds of vCore.
Most you want to set for 24/7 is 1.4V on Kaby. This is also why we say to always OC manually, not on auto.

You're having the vCore drop when set manually because you need to set the LLC higher.
Go to DIGI+ VRM and then set CPU Load-Line Calibration.

Not sure it is necessarily he doesn't have enough cooler for the chip, but more these chips are almost impossible to utilize good cooling on unless you delid. My cooling setup for my 7700k are completely overkill, yet my temps go high anytime I try to overclock.. water temps stay in the 3-5c Delta under full load which means the Tim between the IHS and die is my culprit. Still waiting on my delid kit to get here so I can see some improvements in temp..

So that would be my take on high temps on these things most of the time.

what he said. intel needed to get the cost of their mainstream cpu's down by another 2 cents so they could add another layer of gold plating to their yachts and castles. to do this they use crappy goop between the chip and the heat spreader instead of solder like a quality part should have. they also started making the pcb thinner which can cause them to bend under the pressure of certain heatsinks.

Back