• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Turner.kenny5

If I'm watercooling my gpu and they have all different verses of the card does it matter which on I'm getting. I'm planning on getting the 1080s or I might just wait for the 1080 ti

From what i hear, there are way more options for water blocks when you choose the reference design. For example my Gigabyte 980 cannot be water-cooled because there are no water blocks for this custom PCB.

does it actually matter if you pull of the cooler from the cards? like all the card of that series are the same anyway, just different cooling solutions? ( asking and not implying ).

Well depends on what you want. Running a custom loop with your GPU will give it much lower temps, i think it can be as drastic as 10c from what i have been seeing around. It will also allow the computer in general to run much quieter, since the water is cooling it, not the stock fans and heatsink which can get a little loud.

And no, different manufactures have different parts of the card. The processor on the GPU is the same between different manufacture models but the pcb can be different.

A 1080 from Gigabyte will have a different board and bios than a 1080 from EVGA.

This is from what i have learned from my own research but doesnt make it accurate.

Last edited:
yeah, i know a custom loop should make a huge difference, The PCB being different i was not sure about, but that to makes sense, they dont have the same connections, power etc ion the same place ether, so yeah, the blocks will be different :)

Some custom PCB's, such as the Gigabyte Windforce cards dont have any custom water cooling blocks. The reference cards have more options when it comes to water blocks compared to the custom PCB's sold by other manufactures.

Back