• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS Crosshair VI Hero BIOS Brick

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Looks like someone has directed Raja to that OCN thread Dolk. I could see his nick in the members list. Maybe it's finally drawn enough attention.

I didn't realize he still worked at ASUS. HA

He helps in the ROG forums pretty regular from what I have seen. Pretty sure he's still on the inside

Got lucky and exchanged my CH6 for a returned one at Fry's. Not sure why the user returned the system but Fry's says it boots into BIOS. Fingerprints over the CMOS battery, and a bent FAN pin, and some wear on the southbridge heatsink (looked like someone was waking it with a screw driver). Either way if it works I at least have something to try and help with BIOS debugging.

I was just saying to E_D after mine took a nose dive, there has to be something up when looking just at OCF. Such a small sample size of AMD adopters in the first place and 3 of us have had the same problem. Not a coincidence

Not only you 3, as I mentioned some time earlier in some reviews were mentioned the same issues but actually not all had to make BIOS recovery.
Here is one:
"We tried to push to 3600MHz using a built-in D.O.C.P setting for the memory frequency on the ASUS board. This ended very badly as the system tried to POST into a BIOS update mode (despite no update being initialised), at which point I had to kill the power which seemed to result in a bricked BIOS chip (not motherboard as the LEDs still worked)."
http://www.kitguru.net/components/cpu/luke-hill/amd-ryzen-7-1800x-cpu-review/3/

Mine was not while pushing the ram clocks it was just a normal system reboot, albeit at a higher than normal clockspeed (4.2ghz)

Let's hope this doesn't turn into the same kind of fiasco that happened with the P67 chipset. It took 3 months for my replacement motherboard to ship from MSI back then... :(

Elmor has no idea what is going on with the boards. Clearly something went belly up at the factory. What may be worse is that they do a total recall or something of that nature. The OCN thread is popping up with people left and right with the same issue. No one seems to be safe. :(

http://www.overclock.net/t/1624603/rog-crosshair-vi-overclocking-thread/280#post_25900505

Are there any other boards affected by these issues ? I see only problems with CHVI. Also most people who were waiting for ryzen got CHVI it seems.

Whelp second board was bricked. Fry's needs to up their screening process. RMA most likely and than I'll have to play the waiting game.

So far nothing but not many users have anything else. There are maybe 6 boards in stores right now. I haven't heard issues about Gigabyte X370 except some limitations in BIOS and the same is with Asus Prime X370. MSI B350 seems weird but there were no complains too. Sure users have issues related to new platform like OS, drivers or software performance but not really so many the same/repetable issues with other boards than CHVI.

Latest word: RMA it when it bricks. ASUS has been given a difficult problem so they are now suggesting to just RMA it.

I got the "updating BIOS" thing last night. My system was up and stable but I decided to mess with the RAM settings again to try to get them higher. Saved and exited, and that's when it showed up. It was way late so I just did a BIOS flashback and then powered it off.

We'll see tonight after work if it's bricked or not.

I got the "updating BIOS" thing last night. My system was up and stable but I decided to mess with the RAM settings again to try to get them higher. Saved and exited, and that's when it showed up. It was way late so I just did a BIOS flashback and then powered it off.

We'll see tonight after work if it's bricked or not.

Good luck with that. Mine was OK for a few of those but eventually went belly up like the others.
I have to ask when you restart and if it works will you get the BIOS updating message. Through my reading users without issues get that warning when they update their BIOS just like you should. I flashed mine a few times and never once seen that message. Only seen it after a crash/lock and not updating.

MNMadman, did you set a DOCP ram setting? I'm wondering if it is related to those causing BIOS corruption. Seems a common thing, messing with the ram settings causing it to flip out.

MNMadman, did you set a DOCP ram setting? I'm wondering if it is related to those causing BIOS corruption. Seems a common thing, messing with the ram settings causing it to flip out.
No I didn't. Just doing it manually -- was trying to go from 2400 to 2666.

Changed the RAM timings from Auto (15-15-15-15-36) to manual 16-16-16-16-36, and the RAM speed to 2666. Was also increasing a voltage that I read would help, but can't remember the name of the voltage at the moment. It's the one below the CPU voltage. Saved and exited, then it went into the "updating BIOS" loop.

Last edited:
No I didn't. Just doing it manually -- was trying to go from 2400 to 2666.

Changed the RAM timings from Auto (15-15-15-15-36) to manual 16-16-16-16-36, and the RAM speed to 2666. Was also increasing a voltage that I read would help, but can't remember the name of the voltage at the moment. It's the one below the CPU voltage. Saved and exited, then it went into the "updating BIOS" loop.
Did it come back?

Just now got it back booted up.

I'm going to leave the RAM tuning until I get my Samsung B-die RAM kit in (which will be tomorrow). Then I'll tempt fate again.

Just now got it back booted up.

I'm going to leave the RAM tuning until I get my Samsung B-die RAM kit in (which will be tomorrow). Then I'll tempt fate again.
May the force be with you!

Side note, I think woomack lost his Asus Prime x370 today as well. Similar thing. I'm a little worried about getting an Asus board now :/

Back