• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS Crosshair VI Hero BIOS Brick

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That is from final sample. I highly doubt voltage adjustments were made in the final adjustments. Why aren't all Ryzen boards having failure issues like the CH6?

14nm FinFET CPU's aren't exactly brand new anymore. Almost all of the components on these boards have already been used on millions of other Intel based boards. While testing is required on any new product, voltage regulation shouldn't been an issue. The CH6 suffers from design flaws no matter how you look at it. Can Asus correct them with the BIOS? I certainly hope so!

I am running the MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon now, since my CH6 took a dump, without issue. Rock solid.

In the end all products have bad and good. No matter what the complainers will complain and the happy ones will be quiet for the most part.

And the motherboard manufacturers had approximately 3 weeks since the final revision of of Ryzen (from eng. samples to retail samples) if multiple sources are to be considered. How much time do you think they had to perform these tests? Don't you think that would be a fairly short time for a product such as a motherboard?

I don't see people complaining about the AORUS GA-AX370-Gaming K7 compared to the CH6.

That is from final sample. I highly doubt voltage adjustments were made in the final adjustments. Why aren't all Ryzen boards having failure issues like the CH6?

All it takes is one over-worked tired coder to mess up some software. Normally QA would catch it, but how much time do you think the had to do QA? Supposedly there was a major microcode change that modified alot of things on the Mobo side as well. Did Asus have the time to perform testing on it is the question? I don't work for them, but I can assume it would really suck to be in the position of dealing with that.

14nm FinFET CPU's aren't exactly brand new anymore. Almost all of the components on these boards have already been used on millions of other Intel based boards. While testing is required on any new product, voltage regulation shouldn't been an issue. The CH6 suffers from design flaws no matter how you look at it. Can Asus correct them with the BIOS? I certainly hope so!

14nm AMD CPUs != 14nm Intel CPUs.
X370 != Z270
These are both new things.

I am running the MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon now, since my CH6 took a dump, without issue. Rock solid.

In the end all products have bad and good. No matter what the complainers will complain and the happy ones will be quiet for the most part.

This last part I agree with. Bad stuff happens, but being passive aggressive to a guy who is on here to share knowledge is a loosing battle. That's what I think is real crap. Did Asus mess up the C6H release? Yeah they botched it. Was it a board problem, or a software problem? Well it seems it was fixed with a bios update, so that says a software problem. What do I know, I'm just some old a-hole who is looking at a problem logically and drawing logical conclusions...

I don't see people complaining about the AORUS GA-AX370-Gaming K7 compared to the CH6.
And how many people have the K7 compared to the C6H? Does the K7 have all the knobs and dials the C6H does? Which one would you guess is harder to make a Bios for, given a time crunch? Would that make that bios more complicated? Does complicated code increase the likelihood of software errors?

In the computing world 14nm FinFET is in the past. 7nm FinFET SiGe is current news and optical processing among others is in the future. Asus is a big company and has admitted to messing up the CH6. I don't understand what there is to debate.

From what has been experienced here and elsewhere it appears to be more than just a bad BIOS. People update the BIOS and it runs OK for hours or days and then BIOS bricks? Seems as if there might be a hardware engineering deficiency in the circuit design for that to happen. You think it's just software related? You must be a hardware engineer then - they always blame the software.

I get around a lot and on the CHVI which had that issue, I haven't seen anyone brick a board after updating to BIOS ver.0902 or later. I'm sure there could be one offs out there , I just haven't seen them

I get around a lot and on the CHVI which had that issue, I haven't seen anyone brick a board after updating to BIOS ver.0902 or later. I'm sure there could be one offs out there , I just haven't seen them

There are none. This was a known issue fixed in all bios post 0902

From what has been experienced here and elsewhere it appears to be more than just a bad BIOS. People update the BIOS and it runs OK for hours or days and then BIOS bricks? Seems as if there might be a hardware engineering deficiency in the circuit design for that to happen. You think it's just software related? You must be a hardware engineer then - they always blame the software.

Look I don't expect for you to understand my job or how I work. Same with me to you, I don't know your job or how you do it but it sounds like you a software guy typically always blaming hardware. What I can say is that BIOS has issues, and it can cause hardware mishaps. So can my hardware. I'm an FPGA guy so I mostly work with circuits and yes low level hardware design. But you know who's the first for all issues? Me. In this industry, hardware is always blamed first. I got guys from around the world putting blame on me, and than I have to back up my claims with data because their code can't provide proof its their fault. I also blame myself first. Its something I had to learn the hard way because I didn't muck up enough before this job. But I can tell you now, if there is ever a problem that could be related to me, I'll look into my code for a day to make sure that its not my issue, because thats my responsibility.

So lesson learned, don't mindlessly put blame on someone unless you can prove it. And I'm not about to share my private PMs with Elmor that mentions it is a BIOS issue that is causing the problem.

This is the last time I'll bite your attacks on my professional ability. I don't go around making accusations about you. If you have doubt of my technical expertise than PM me.

To go on top of what BlueFalcon has posted, Intel Fin-Fet is different from industry. Although the industry learned from Intel, it is not mutually the same. AMD CPUs are speced different than Intel.

Additinally I have mentioned this before, OEM board houses have not had to deal with a new AMD part for several years now. They are a bit rusty, especially when the new platform is very different than the old. Issues are going to rise at the start, and with compound issues because of the industry as a whole, well we get these results.

Also, AMD has adapted with M.2 and USB 3.1, C, and another varient. Intel side has had this maybe for a year. So to say they are experts is grossly underestimating the capabilities of these OEM houses.

I don't think AMD's core has anything to do with the BIOS issue on the CH6. If that were the case then why are all of the other boards not having the same issue? I will agree that is it most certainly a software issue otherwise a BIOS update would not have "resolved" the problem. :) I am merely speaking on the subject at hand.

And 14nm FinFET is old news. While the Ryzen core is obviously different from any other core made it isn't so dissimilar that a whole new method of thinking was invented just to implement it. That is what is being researched and tested today with optical processing.

In the end this is an Asus testing issue with the BIOS software. I personally can't wait to get my CH6 back from Asus.

And how many people have the K7 compared to the C6H? Does the K7 have all the knobs and dials the C6H does? Which one would you guess is harder to make a Bios for, given a time crunch? Would that make that bios more complicated? Does complicated code increase the likelihood of software errors?
With any quantity there will be complaints and ASUS has the complaints about the same things on the C6H. The K7 it is working fine when changing settings in Bios for overclocking how hard is it to get the job done.

With any quantity there will be complaints and ASUS has the complaints about the same things on the C6H. The K7 it is working fine when changing settings in Bios for overclocking how hard is it to get the job done.
My point was that the C6H has more settings overall, thus an increased likely hood of errors due to code. That and afaik the K7 wasn't even available on release day, atleast not in quantities like the C6H was. Hell Newegg had it for pre-order for atleast a week after Ryzen was released.

My point was that the C6H has more settings overall, thus an increased likely hood of errors due to code. That and afaik the K7 wasn't even available on release day, atleast not in quantities like the C6H was. Hell Newegg had it for pre-order for atleast a week after Ryzen was released.

My point is it's not release day anymore and Newegg is out of stock real fast every time they have the K7 in stock.

Hey, I've had this problem recently so I wonder if it's still a problem for anyone else? I turned on my computer then I got the q code 61 which is nvram initialzation. It then got stuck on that so I turned it off. Next thing I know my computer wouldn't even turn on. The leds are working fine along with the rgb leds. I've tried troubleshooting and have narrowed it down to the CPU or mb and since I found all this stuff of the mb messing up like this I pretty much am sure it's that. Is there any way you guys would suggest could fix this or should I just send my board in?

IWokeUpDead (fitting name for CH6)

:welcome:

Did you update the BIOS to the latest before this issue started? There was an issue with the older BIOS that would cause a hard brick on the board.

Thank you yeah it really is xD but unless it updates automatically I have never flashed the bios until after the problem and then it did nothing. So yeah it's original

Help!

I completed a new Ryzen 1700x build with the CH6. The system was fine and seemed to be stable. Was running at 3.9 everything was working fine. Went to bed got up the next day and system will not post. It is showing Q Code 07 and the Dram light is lit. I have tried removing my memory sticks trying with just one (in every slot), unhooked everything, reseating all power cables, etc. I don’t have another computer that I can test the DDR4 in at this time. Does anyone have any ideas about Q code 7. I contacted Asus and they told me to use the ‘memok’ button (this board doesn’t have one) another told me it was because my memory wasnt on the QVL. It was working fine before (had it set to 2666). The board RGB LEDS light up fine and I have used the BIOS flashback to try different version (clearing CMOS in-between etc...). was on 0902 when it would no longer boot. Have tried 1001 and 1002… Super sad 

Memory is G. Skill Trident Z 3200 16GBx2 F4-3200C16D-32GTZSW

Does anyone have any possible information on Q code 7????(Besides AP initialization after microcode testing) 

@IWokeUpDead

You can try the recovery BIOS technique that is outlined at the start of this thread. If you cannot get it to turn on with the recovery method, than your board is wacked. You will need to send it off to ASUS for repair. Be advised, that repair is taking 3+ weeks as they do not have any boards in stock. (They received mine on 3/10 and no word on when its coming in yet).

@Mrzero
This could be a memory issue, but those are the same sticks I have (just 8gb versions). How did you test the different BIOS when you are not posting? Are you using the USB/CD Recovery Tool?

Yes, but make sure to do it with BIOS 1002, or whichever is the latest on ASUS website.

Back