• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS Crosshair VI Hero BIOS Brick

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
CHVI is the only board affected by mentioned bug but it doesn't change fact that you can brick BIOS in other way on other motherboards. It's just not repetable issue like on CHVI.

So, I have the opposite problem from most of the other people on here. Things were relatively stable for me UNTIL I upgraded to 0902, and now everything is messed up. I can't flash back to what my board shipped with because it claims the BIOS doesn't support my CPU.

My CHVI was overclocking just fine, recognizing my memory with the original bios, but my USB ports were not behaving. Otherwise I would never have upgraded.

With the original BIOS, overclocking was incredibly easy. I just set the multiplier to 40.0, set the DRAM timing to 2933MHz, (Corsair Dominator 3000MHz) and viola, everything ran fine. Temps maxed out at 63celsius, stable after an hour of running a 16-core max CPU load at 4.0GHz. And this was with a crappy $20 fan I bought at Fry's. (The CoolerMaster I had ordered which claimed compatibility... wasn't actually compatible)

Now, post-update, things are truly wonky. With default 0902 settings, just sitting in the BIOS my CPU reaches 57 degrees Celsius. Once I'm in Windows, it oscillates between 32 and 40 at the desktop, causing the fan to spin up and down CONSTANTLY.

Furthermore, it now identifies as a 3.7GHz base clock, 4.1 Boost clock. Which would be fine except these defaults are unstable for memory overclocking.

The worst thing though is that the BIOS itself is unstable. If I change ANY OC settings, it locks up the bios. Reset doesn't help, Retry doesn't help, powering off doesn't help, Safe Boot doesn't help. The only thing that helps is re-flashing the BIOS. So that means my RAM now runs at 2133MHz, and if I want to tweak even one setting it's a twenty-minute process to restore my BIOS. I'm afraid to brick my board by repeated flashing, so I'm stuck.

Has anyone figured out how to flash back to the original shipping BIOS? I might be the only one out here who wants it, but I DESPERATELY want it back.

So, I have the opposite problem from most of the other people on here. Things were relatively stable for me UNTIL I upgraded to 0902, and now everything is messed up. I can't flash back to what my board shipped with because it claims the BIOS doesn't support my CPU.

My CHVI was overclocking just fine, recognizing my memory with the original bios, but my USB ports were not behaving. Otherwise I would never have upgraded.

With the original BIOS, overclocking was incredibly easy. I just set the multiplier to 40.0, set the DRAM timing to 2933MHz, (Corsair Dominator 3000MHz) and viola, everything ran fine. Temps maxed out at 63celsius, stable after an hour of running a 16-core max CPU load at 4.0GHz. And this was with a crappy $20 fan I bought at Fry's. (The CoolerMaster I had ordered which claimed compatibility... wasn't actually compatible)

Now, post-update, things are truly wonky. With default 0902 settings, just sitting in the BIOS my CPU reaches 57 degrees Celsius. Once I'm in Windows, it oscillates between 32 and 40 at the desktop, causing the fan to spin up and down CONSTANTLY.

Furthermore, it now identifies as a 3.7GHz base clock, 4.1 Boost clock. Which would be fine except these defaults are unstable for memory overclocking.

The worst thing though is that the BIOS itself is unstable. If I change ANY OC settings, it locks up the bios. Reset doesn't help, Retry doesn't help, powering off doesn't help, Safe Boot doesn't help. The only thing that helps is re-flashing the BIOS. So that means my RAM now runs at 2133MHz, and if I want to tweak even one setting it's a twenty-minute process to restore my BIOS. I'm afraid to brick my board by repeated flashing, so I'm stuck.

Has anyone figured out how to flash back to the original shipping BIOS? I might be the only one out here who wants it, but I DESPERATELY want it back.
I haven't had any issue at all with the 902 BIOS. Reverting back to the original BIOS is easy using BIOS flashback. Method will be in your manual where it shows the rear IO ports and descriptions. Your issue right now almost sounds like an incomplete flash to me. Or possibly this BIOS doesn't like your ram. Hard to say.
I have to warn you though there were issues with some of the early BIOS that would cause the motherboard to brick. That's the reason 902 was released. There is an updated 1001 BIOS here if you would like to try that http://redirect.viglink.com/?format...2qv4jok1pu5og/CROSSHAIR-VI-HERO-ASUS-1001.zip

I might try the new one. Maybe 0902 doesn't like my RAM. The flashback doesn't work for me with the BIOS from my MB disc. It blinks a few times then stops. If I use 0902 it flashes successfully. (Takes like 10 minutes to stop blinking though)

However, as you say, given the risk of bricking with the shipping BIOS, I guess I have to go forward rather than back. I'll try the 1001.

Thanks!

EDIT: Clarity

Last edited:
The new BIOS versions fix the FanXpert thing if you were controlling your fans in Windows. Otherwise, you can control them manually in the BIOS by setting temperature triggers and duty cycles. That's what I do.

Note that the 1001 BIOS version is for systems that can handle 1T Command Rate for the RAM. They do have a 0038 BIOS version that is for systems that work better with 2T Command Rate for the RAM. Both are exactly the same except for the Command Rate.

I'm controlling my fans via BIOS. Anything but maximum results in oscillations. Maybe it's a voltage issue? The CPU temp spikes from 32 to 40c, and that's when the fan responds. It's not a Windows thing, it spikes in the BIOS too. So, I'm pretty certain it's just the fan responding to the sudden change in CPU temps. Regarding my RAM, it likes to run at 1T. It ran at 2933MHZ with virtually no tweaking required on the shipping BIOS. (Corsair CMD16GX4M2B3000C15)

None of this was an issue with the shipping BIOS, and I'm not the only one to encounter this. I found a thread on another site where someone reported this exact same issue with 0902, except for him the temp was oscillating between mid-50's and mid-60's Celsius. :p

It's ironic, given that 0902 was supposed to improve stability. It's *audibly* very unstable lol

Update:

I was able to flash back to 5704, which then allowed me to flash back to 0601. Of the 4 I've tried, 0601 is by far the most stable for me. What other versions are out there? Here are the ones I'm aware of, and how they worked for me:

Feb 08 - 0601 (stable, temps good, overclocking works fine, OC 4.0GHz 2933MHz DDR4 is stable: max temps 63c on cheap air cooler)
Feb 23 - 5704 (Apps lock up in Windows, temperature runs 10-15c hotter, won't boot with any tweaks at all)
Mar 11 - 0902 (Temperature runs 10-15c hotter, won't post after any BIOS tweaks, even with safe boot, requires flashback to fix)
Mar 16 - 1001 (Temperature runs 10-15c hotter, won't post after any BIOS tweaks, safe boot works)

By the way, I've isolated the spiking temperatures to using the High Performance power profile. With that activated, my base clock runs at 3.7GHz, and boost mode is 4.1GHz. This is true of all BIOS I've tried. Originally I had thought it was due to running 0902. The difference is that with every BIOS I've tried but 0601, when the boost mode kicks in, the CPU temps spike really high. Seems like something got screwed up starting with 5704 that they still haven't fixed, and no, I don't think it's my memory. Why would my memory cause my CPU to run significantly hotter at the BIOS menu?

What other BIOS versions are out there in the wild? Is 0601 the "launch BIOS", or does it vary between boards? Anyone else seeing similar issues with Dominator Platinum 3000? Maybe it is my RAM after all?

Have you tried 0038? The 2T Command Rate could help your stability.

By the way, it seems that the Balanced power profile gives better benchmark scores and may increase performance in games as well, at least with Ryzen. The core parking that happens in Balanced helps to keep Windows from screwing up the thread scheduling, apparently. Less contention and less core-hopping equals more performance.

I'm running Balanced and manually set 50% core parking so it keeps the eight real cores powered up and parks the eight virtual cores.

Also, the whole temp thing is AMD put in a CPU temp offset of +20°C so that your fans run higher and keep the conditions better for XFR to keep the automatic overclocking longer and more often.

Last edited:
So you're saying it's lying about the temps? That would make sense if my temps jumped 20degrees between BIOS 0601 and 0902, but what I'm seeing is that instead of idling in the 30's, it idles in the 40's, sometimes spiking to 50. If it were a 20degree offset, that would mean my cpu was running in the 22-26c range, which I highly doubt, especially with my crappy cooler.

I've double-checked, and my DRAM runs best at 1T. So I don't think 0038 would help.

I dunno... I maintain something still isn't right with the BIOS. I'm not the only one to experience wildly fluctuating temps and fan speeds starting with 0902.

I'll just stay at BIOS 0601, running at 4.0GHz stable, with 2933MHz RAM. Frankly it makes me really nervous to hear my fan freaking out. With 0601, temps are stable, and maybe I'm not squeezing every last MHz out of my OC, but if I cared about that I wouldn't be running on $20 air cooling. :p

I suspect the problem is that a lot of people tried to run 5704 (it was the listed BIOS on ASUS's website until this week) and just like me, found that it was incredibly unstable. Compared to 5704, 1001 is a big improvement, but it's still a step down from 0601. I think if more people were running 0601 we wouldn't see so many complaints. But that's just a guess.

If 0601 really WAS more stable for the majority, they wouldn't have pulled it from the site. Instead, they would have based future updates on it and not gone a whole new way.

The only BIOS problem I've ever had since I got this board is that I can't run my 3600 RAM at 3600. No stability issues on 5704, 5803, 0902, 0038, or 1001. No temp fluctuation issues either, though that might be mitigated by me running custom water cooling. Manual fan control has always worked for me, with the right settings of course.

My mileage definitely varies from yours...

It wasn't a stability issue. The older BIOS versions were pulled because of a possibility of dead boards. Flashing to anything before 0902 would be irresponsible considering the risk. ASUS didn't want any more RMAs so those BIOS are gone.

It wasn't a stability issue. The older BIOS versions were pulled because of a possibility of dead boards. Flashing to anything before 0902 would be irresponsible considering the risk. ASUS didn't want any more RMAs so those BIOS are gone.
Bah -- forgot that for a moment.

There is still no way I will ever be convinced that one of the first BIOSes for any board is the most stable for most users.

Just checking: Boards are only bricking if you tweak OC settings right? I'm on 0601 because the later BIOS's are useless to me (with regards to OC) and unstable. (With regard to spiking CPU temps) I'm not comfortable leaving my computer turned on for long periods of time. I worry that the unstable temps are due to unstable voltage, which might explain why even the slightest OC tweak locks up the board.

Maybe it's just my board... but I'm not the only one to report this. I've seen two other posts online of people reporting similar issues. And it's really frustrating to be told, "We made the board more stable, don't use this shipping BIOS" when, for me, it's the exact opposite, and it effectively means I don't get to OC my board on ANY BIOS, either because of fear of bricking it, or because it just won't POST.

I'm just frustrated. God knows I would have bought a different MB if I wasn't going to OC. I'm scared to play with any settings now on 0601, and I *can't* do so on the newer BIOS, so I'm just stuck waiting while everyone else plays with their toys.

My initial experience was so positive, being able to immediately and effortlessly OC to 4GHz while getting the most out of my RAM... (I had gotten it to ~3028MHz/4.05GHz by adjusting BCLK) only to follow recommendations to update the BIOS and then discover that I'm out of commission for an indeterminate amount of time. I have an expensive OC board that I can't OC with.

Anyway, I'll stop beating this dead horse.

So I guess my last question on this is, is the recommendation that it's not safe to run with *stock settings* on 0601? Because if it isn't then I'm left with no choice but to leave my computer turned off until a BIOS emerges which is more stable for me. :(

I'm experiencing the same "weirdness" with temps and voltages running the 0902 BIOS. Other than that I find it quite "stable" I've verified my voltages with a DMM but as for temps. I'm just not sure if they're accurate.
The issue with the original BIOS was actually more on auto settings than it was with OC. The SOC voltage could spike which would send a bad signal to the EC sensor which would in turn load some bad code on reboot. This is what was causing the board to think it was in a "BIOS is Updating" state and the board would brick. Resulting in an RMA for the end user.
I would still recommend for everyone to use 902. If you insist on using something older then set a static SOC voltage . 1.1-1.15v should be sufficient for most ram and will help prevent the brick. I make no guarantees though.

Hmm, ok I might try fixing the SOC voltage, but if it really is an issue with the default settings bricking the board, then... yeah. I might have no choice but to upgrade to 1001.

I suppose I can just set my fan to a fixed (read: max) speed so that it dosn't react to the temperature jumps. And just leave the OC settings alone. Thanks for the heads up.

Cromagnus, I agree with Johan. You need to work on supported BIOS builds. Anything below 0901 has been removed from the support list by ASUS which is a clear sign of do not use. Once you update to the latest we can work with you to figure out why you are having troubles with your OC.

0902 is extremely unstable for me, I just can't use it. I'll wait until 1001 comes out of beta and then upgrade to that. (or whatever the next official release ends up being)

Changing *any* OC setting in 0902 locks up the board, requiring that I flashback the BIOS again to fix it. Reset doesn't work, Safe Boot doesn't work, powering off doesn't work. After having to flash my BIOS 6+ times on 0902, I got worried about the risk of bricking from repeated flashing, so I just gave up and went back to 0601. 1001 didn't cause that problem for me, but until it comes out of beta, I'll just pass on trying to overclock it. (I am going to upgrade to it now just to prevent bricking my board)

Bottom line is: On 0601 I was able to *easily* OC to 4GHz, running my memory at the full 3000MHz, with temps stable under full load at 63c. All I had to do was change the BCLK, the core multiplier, and the memory frequency. That's *IT*.

Every version since then I can't even change the memory frequency from stock 2133MHz or it won't even POST without a Safe Boot. Until there's a BIOS that puts things back to where they used to be, I'm going to feel cheated. It's great that all of you have had more luck, but apparently I have the unicorn board that works better on the unsafe BIOS. (Until it inevitably bricks)

I do appreciate the offer for help, but I'm not a person who OCs for the fun of it, so I don't particularly want to experiment with arcane settings. I just want it to be a no-brainer. (As it was advertised to be, by both AMD and the ASUS CHVI marketing)

In the past I've always waited for other people to find the magic timings and settings, and stuck with what they came up with. One of the big draws of Ryzen was the supposed ease of OC. Which is ironic because I found it much easier to OC my Westmere.

So, I'll just wait until the dust settles. I have another computer, and without OC, this one really isn't faster, so I'm fine with it sitting idle for a time while the more adventurous among you find stable settings that lazy people like me can use. ;-)

Unrelated: I'm really surprised there have been so many issues with the CHIV. I'd been happily using my P6T since it launched almost 9 years ago and never had a problem with it. Is it AMD's fault or does the blame lie with ASUS?

Couple questions for you. Have you cleared the CMOS "AFTER" the flash. I know you shouldn't have to but it helps. Also are you trying to set DOCP mem setting?

Back