• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS Crosshair VI Hero BIOS Brick

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dolk

I once overclocked an Intel
All, a bit of a PSA. I talked with Elmor over at OCN, and it looks like ASUS is having BIOS issues with their Crosshair VI Hero REV: 1.03.

Reddit Ref thread:
Possible Fix:
QpoP7Ye.jpg.png

My board has experienced this, and I will attempt the USB BIOS fix posted above. I'll let others know if it was successful or not.

It's pretty much standard recovery procedure for all ROG boards for couple of years now but it just proves that something isn't right as nearly all users of CHVI that I know had issue with BIOS ( and it was also mentioned in some reviews after pushing memory above 3200 ). I have no idea if other ASUS boards also have these issues. After seeing all that and price difference I just got ASUS Prime X370 today and I just hope I won't kill it too fast :)

Te only reason I want this is to test out the CPU with no issues with power. ASUS typically does very well with their power design and their BIOS options are many. Now, all these pretty lights and features are just "tax" now. Hopefully they come out with a only LN2 board.

FTW. The original bios file for that board that it was purchased and ran with the first time, is on the Motherboard disk that came in the box.

You should be able to post from disk if you can post from USB. Bios recovery will boot/post first.

Just a heads up that did not work for mine. That was the first thing I tried and I tried 3 different bios's

Yea, been reading problems here and there with the Crosshair. But we all knew that first release is buggy. XD

All, a bit of a PSA. I talked with Elmor over at OCN, and it looks like ASUS is having BIOS issues with their Crosshair VI Hero REV: 1.03.

Reddit Ref thread:
Possible Fix:
QpoP7Ye.jpg.png

My board has experienced this, and I will attempt the USB BIOS fix posted above. I'll let others know if it was successful or not.

I posted that for you in the discussion thread yesterday Dolk, that's how I recovered my board 3 times.

FTW. The original bios file for that board that it was purchased and ran with the first time, is on the Motherboard disk that came in the box.

You should be able to post from disk if you can post from USB. Bios recovery will boot/post first.

The flashback doesn't post the system. It bypasses even the CPU and deals directly with the BIOS chip. If you can get power then you can get the flashback feature to function.... well most of the time. as I said to cdawall yesterday I have had BN ASUS boards where this option never functioned right out of the box. But I check it on every board since it has saved me numerous times

Thank Johan!

I saw that comment after I posted this. I've been pretty busy so I haven't been able to keep up with the RyZen threads as much. Figured this could use its own thread as I bet there will be more issues soon.

On the previous boards I had that only when I was pushing memory or bclk too hard but I saw some single comments it happened on CHVI even on stock memory settings so something is clearly wrong. I had no issues like that for like 2 intel chipset generations. That BIOS Flashback is a great thing and is much better than any dual bios option.
I got ASUS Prime just because it was cheaper and will be easier to sell later while many options and features are the same as on Hero. There are single things which I may miss like this bios recovery, maybe additional bios versions and diagnostic LEDs. I just hope it won't be much worse than Hero but I'm counting there will be something better designed for overclockers in some time. I just doubt we will see something like APEX anytime soon considering that ASUS has released "all" 4 boards so far.

So have you checked that recovery option ?

Can't, at big boy job. Have to have my blue hat on even though I work with Altera parts :-/

Several attempts later... no luck :(

So... the day i got the board, it refused to post until i updated to 702. It worked fine for a few days. I got home from work today and it wouldnt resume from sleep. Tried a few reboots, but couldnt get it to post and started getting the 90 Qcode. Flashed 803, still stuck with the 90 qcode. Flashed back to 702 to try and fix it... still stuck.

I've tried CMOS resets, removing and reseating all the ram in all sorts of configs, but it just refuses to post and get past the 90 code.

It's fair to say, I'm regretting this board. That's further exacerbated by the fact that i can't find any Aorus boards in stock anywhere...

Well, time to add me to the list Dolk. Last night went down for the last time. Now it's all lit up but no life when I hit the power button. Not even a flicker. I let it sit overnight no power connected to the board and battery pulled and still nothing when I tried this morning.

Semi-off topic: anyone know if this issue is effecting other Asus boards, or merely the CHVI?

Couldn't tell ya, I think the CHVI was the more popular choice and distributed for reviews so there's a much larger sample out in the wild.

Couldn't tell ya, I think the CHVI was the more popular choice and distributed for reviews so there's a much larger sample out in the wild.
Yeah, I was gathering that as well. The x370 prime should start appearing, looks like microcenter (Denver) is finally stocking em, as well as Newegg. Hopefully there will be enough out there before the weekend after next so I can make a buying decision. Got a bunch of midterms this week and next, but then I want to be building my system [emoji14]

I was just saying to E_D after mine took a nose dive, there has to be something up when looking just at OCF. Such a small sample size of AMD adopters in the first place and 3 of us have had the same problem. Not a coincidence

I had the "brick" problem (RGB LEDs and CPU LED green but no other activity) right from the start. Turns out it was a cooler mount problem. The instructions from EK regarding AMD installs say to keep the center section of the rubber gasket intact, but for some users that causes boot problems (yes I was using the new AM4 kit from them). I removed that center section and got my board to boot. I had a bad CPU too ("8" code) but when I replaced that yesterday it booted fine.

Pretty sure this isn't related to cooler issues, My Noctua uses the AMD backplate and I was running. It just decided it didn't want to any longer.

Back