• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whats your Ryzen 1800x, 1700x, 1700 OC clock speed?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

joshyuen

Hi all.

I want to know what is the most we can get out of the new Ryzen CPU on OC.
so far I've been reading and seem like most people only get about 4.1?4.2? Ghz on the 1800X,1700x,1700 (some team got the Ryzen 1800x to 5.2 as with LN2.)
I just want to know is Ryzen a good OC cpu? and did anyone get any good Ghz with Air cooling with it?

josh

Well ln2 only getting to 5ghz does point to it not being a great overclocker.

We will see if it improves as the socket matures

It looks like most top out around 4.1-4.2ghz. Which is not a ton of headroom. It reaches about the same max clock as the competitor 6900k/6950x CPUs on air/water as well.

:welcome: to the forums joshyuen.

i'm interested in clock numbers as well.
please include as many details as possible. CPU, Motherboard brand+model, Memory etc.
voltages, type/brand/model of cooling, and ambient/processor load temps when reporting.
is it Memtest86 & Prime95 stable (24+ hours), or just suicide benches?

:cheers:

I hope it will improve in time too. I was hoping Ryzen would be like all other amd cpu . Oc friendly.

Thax clutch head. I don't have the Ryzen yet. Still looking at review and doing research here. Am still with my fx8350 but may upgrade to ryzen depending on how much of a upgrade I'll get. And when Vega comes out in may and see how that will go with ryzen.

I'v never seen any overclocking improve in 22 years without a product change in FinFET architecture or Pipe stages.

In reviews barely any ryzen passes 4.1GHz. Most end on 3.9-4.05GHz stable in more demanding benchmarks ( doesn't mean fully stable ).
I wouldn't count on much more than 4GHz considering various issues which maybe will be solved soon ( mainly motherboards and OS as I see ).

In reviews barely any ryzen passes 4.1GHz. Most end on 3.9-4.05GHz stable in more demanding benchmarks ( doesn't mean fully stable ).
I wouldn't count on much more than 4GHz considering various issues which maybe will be solved soon ( mainly motherboards and OS as I see ).
+1

These can barely overclock past their own boost/XFR of 4.1. Nkt a good overclocker.

I have tested a 1700 and 3.9 was the sweet spot for it. Good voltages and temps. I managed 4.0 but with too high voltage to be sustainable. The increase in voltage from 3.9 to 4.0 was drastic from 1.36v at 3.9 to 1.48v to get 4.0 stable

Exactly my thoughts. 4.0?4.1? The 100 mhz in not sure I can consider that's an oc.
Unless their "turbo" is their oc than I consider that's alright.

The 1700 seems to get to 3.9ghz fairly reliably, even on B350 boards. That can be considered an overclock since the 1700 can only boost to 3.7 on 2 cores.

Now the 1700x and 1800x are the conundrums. The 1700x in theory can hit the same 4.0-4.1 but it's 2 core boost w/ XFR is 3900. Not much of a single thread OC, but definitely an OC for all 8 cores at the same time. The 1800x results from reviews seems to sacrifice single threaded application throughput for a boost to largely multithreaded applications. Assuming a 4ghz OC, what's 100mhz between friends? [emoji14]

Ryzen seems to be the best price point choice for work stations running well multi-threaded applications whereas Intel is still the best choice for gamers. In some ways, Ryzen is more of the same as what we have had for years from AMD. They have definitely improved their energy efficiency and successfully addressed their watt problems from the Vishera line.

It's hard to recommend ryzen for workstations considering current compatibility and stability of OS and motherboards. It has a chance to be good ... but not yet.

They really did improve things immensely and you're right for multi thread tasks they're bang on especially at price point. Even at stock the 1700 will walk all over the FX line

image_id_1516283.jpg

x265 1080 stock.JPG

I think it's 3.7? It's right around there wingman.

Stilt reports w/ XFR max turbo on the 1800x in his thread is 3.7ghz. on the other hand, any OC less than 4.1ghz hurts single-threaded application performance in theory.

Last edited:
He must have had the wrong BIOS 1800x should be up to 4.1 on two cores. The 1700x I had going for a short time di up to 3950 on two cores

What is the stock boost with 4 cores being utilized on the 1800x?

I have had atm tell me this 4 times and I'll still botch it...

All cores/threads go up to 3.7 with xfr. Past that it boosts with 2c/4t up to 4ghz... xfr is a max 4.1gHz with 2c/4t.

Most processors stop with ALL CORES at 4-4.1 Ghz. So, there is literally ZERO overclocking headroom clockspeed wise on the 1800x. But you do have all cores up there. ;)

I just set the mainboard performance profile to performance load.... Lazy I know. It ups it to 3.8.

Back